Personal tools
Sections

We're building a modern home in Madison

by Laura Tills last modified Jun 15, 2011 11:56 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

We're building a modern home in Madison

Posted by Laura Tills at April 17. 2007

I'm so glad to have found this site with a few like-minded people!  My husband is an architectural designer at a firm in Madison, and we're beginning construction on a modern home in Madison this summer.  Our lot is in the arboretum, where there has recently been a lot of controversy about development.  Fortunately for us, this is against "for profit" development, and we have so far felt very welcome.  We do have a blog: tillsnewhome.blogspot.com

Again, we are excited to see some interest in homes other than McMansions and urban sprawl - Madison is an interesting place - it deserves to have some more interesting residential projects! 

Here's hoping we can spur some interest!

Laura Tills

Re: We're building a modern home in Madison

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at April 18. 2007
I love your house design, but it "gulp!" looks expensive! Post reminders here when you update your blog so we can watch it come together.

Posted by Laura Tills at April 18. 2007

Previously Gregory La Vardera wrote:

I love your house design, but it "gulp!" looks expensive! Post reminders here when you update your blog so we can watch it come together.

Well, it helps that we're in Wisconsin, and not one of the coasts!  The floors will all be stained concrete and we are going to wait on the landscaping at first.  There may have to be some other "cuts", but you've got to start somewhere!  It's 2200 sq ft - 3 bedrooms...so not huge, and like I said in the blog- no basement.  Obviously we've also saved on architectural fees.  We'll definately keep you updated!

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at April 18. 2007
Ahh, well you definitely have some strategies working for you there - the cost of labor makes a giant difference. The stone I saw in the images, both vertical and horiz is what gave me that impression. Also the beamed ceiling, and the wood panel siding - not sure if that is meant to be Parklex or one of the other pricey composites. Your site looks great too - its going to be a great home! Everybody here can learn from your process so please do give us a shout here. I've got your site bookmarked and I'll take a look when I do my tours of mod house blogs!

Posted by Boone Lumber at June 15. 2011

In building one's home, it is important to have professionals to help you with the designs and the construction itself. This is a better way to ensure that everything will be perfect in the end. Even putting up additional structures such as outdoor living spaces will usually have need of expertise such as what http://www.eckhoffconstruction.com provides.