Personal tools
Sections

ideas for a cool bathtub?

by Splatgirl last modified Jul 02, 2012 05:24 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

ideas for a cool bathtub?

Posted by Splatgirl at December 23. 2004

My upstairs guest bathroom to be has been designed for a typical tub/shower combo situation, but I want to use something interesting for the tub rather than a typical white fiberglass or cast iron built in tub.
I REALLY love this thing: http://www.designandcoonline.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=Z10058type=store
and assuming I could figure out a way to connect it to a drain, I think it would acutally work but it's more expensive that I'd like and would be a pretty costly experiment if it didn't work out.
I think the only thing that would be a definite no go would be cast concrete...the floor system will be commercial type open web steel trusses with corrugated steel decking and concrete, engineered for 50psf.
I want something roughly bathtub shaped but the material could be anything durable and reasonably easy to maintain and the cheaper the better.
Ideas?

Re: ideas for a cool bathtub?

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at December 23. 2004

Did you read the posts about agricultural feed troughs? Where was that? Well, here is a vendor link:

http://www.behlencountry.com/asp/catalog.asp?Product=Galvanized%20Round%20EndFamily=Water%20Tanks

You did say the cheaper the better?

Posted by Zachary Anderson at December 23. 2004
that discussion was here (click) the discussion on fabprefab also included speak of building a tub of wood and covering it with a plaster material (could look like cast-in-place concrete)

Posted by Paul Wilson at July 02. 2012
Previously Splatgirl wrote:

My upstairs guest bathroom to be has been designed for a typical tub/shower combo situation, but I want to use something interesting for the tub rather than a typical white fiberglass or cast iron built in tub.
I REALLY love this thing: http://www.designandcoonline.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=Z10058type=store
and assuming I could figure out a way to connect it to a drain, I think it would acutally work but it's more expensive that I'd like and would be a pretty costly experiment if it didn't work out.
I think the only thing that would be a definite no go would be cast concrete...the floor system will be commercial type open web steel trusses with corrugated steel decking and concrete, engineered for 50psf.
I want something roughly bathtub shaped but the material could be anything durable and reasonably easy to maintain and the cheaper the better.
Ideas?

Hi Splatgirl. This post is quite old but thought I'd try my luck...I was reading how you made a concrete bathtub. I was wondering how you ensured you got good concrete flow between the outer and inner mould under the base?  Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks.