Personal tools
Sections

What are some Mid priced Kitchen cabinets?

by Mike last modified Mar 04, 2013 04:24 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 16 votes)

What are some Mid priced Kitchen cabinets?

Posted by Mike at December 18. 2005

I am about to redo my kitchen but I am having some trouble finding mid level cabinets, $400-600 per linear foot. I can find many high end cabinets, $1000 per linear foot, such as bulthaup and poggen... I can also find cabinets at $150-$300 per linear foot such as Ikea and Home Depot... But I am having trouble finding anything in the middle. Can anyone suggest a manufacture or place to look for a mid priced modern kitchen?

Re: What are some Mid priced Kitchen cabinets?

Posted by Mike at December 18. 2005

I guess this is one of those often asked questions and I made the mistake of not searching first. Sorry...

I found this list of manufactures to check out. Henry Built, Paris Kitchens, Kraftmaid Venica, WCS, Scavolini and Porelanosa...

Are there any others? Has anyone heard of Neff Kitchens?

Posted by Ryan Mathern at December 19. 2005

I can design, build, and install custom modern kitchen cabinetry in the $400 to $600 / lf price range, and I believe you could find a similar small custom cabinet shop in your area that could do the same. Most shops should be able to tell you pretty quickly if they can produce cabinets in that rough price range.

www.ryanmathern.com

Posted by Jason Butka at February 10. 2007

Ryan,

I looked at some of the modern styles you did and wished you lived in Michigan!  These are beautiful.  Everyone I talk to here wants to give me some poor spin off of a 1980's contemporary cabinet style.  Every cabinet maker in michigan I have dealt with just doesnt get what you obviously have mastered.

PLease move closer as you have a customer waiting!

Posted by Jason at March 12. 2007

Here is another photo

Attachments

Posted by Jason at March 12. 2007

Mike - we have used Ikea cabinet frames with custom mill finished doors before and it looks really good. We used riff cut white oak stain grade doors on Ikea birch cabinets. Looks like a custom kitchen for about $2,000 more than a full Ikea cabinet.

The best thing is to have a full custom kitchen, but not everyone has the budget to do so.

Attachments

Posted by flyleft at March 27. 2007

oy, Jason, that's beautiful.  Just beautiful.

I'd also add that you can get doors/panels from Scherr's custom made to fit Ikea boxes.   Unless you want plywood, Ikea boxes are as good as anyone else's (and better than some--they offgas less), as long as you can make them fit your space.

http://www.scherrs.com

The people I've known who have used them have been very happy with the quality and service.

Posted by JohnC at April 09. 2007

Here is an option. Buy the base cabinets from Ikea (unless you are morally opposed to fiberboard frames). If they do not have a door style that you like, have someone like Ryan make and ship you some doors to your specifications and use them instead.

I recently finished installing some Ikea cabinets and I was very pleased with the end result. They look great and I really like the drawer and door hardware. I used some of their cover panels on the bottoms of the wall cabinets to cover the locking cams and I also built wood bases instead of the plastic legs in some areas.

I also like the fact that if I want to change the look of the kitchen in 10 years, all I have to do is replace doors and the cover panels.

Posted by JohnC at April 12. 2007

Oops, sorry for the duplicate post. I did not see page 2 the other day.

Posted by Peter Smith at April 30. 2007

Kraftmaid's fairly new Venicia line is definitely modern and worth checking out

http://www.kraftmaid.com/venicia/venicia.cfm

Posted by william w at May 07. 2007

Hi Jason.  Great Kitchen.  Where did you get the cabinet hardware handles and how are they holding up and how expensive were they

thanks William

Previously Jason wrote:

Mike - we have used Ikea cabinet frames with custom mill finished doors before and it looks really good. We used riff cut white oak stain grade doors on Ikea birch cabinets. Looks like a custom kitchen for about $2,000 more than a full Ikea cabinet.

The best thing is to have a full custom kitchen, but not everyone has the budget to do so.

Posted by Jason at May 23. 2007

William - the cabinet hardware is Ikea. I think the handles are $10 for two or something. They are ridicously cheap and they hold up well. Ikea door frames are and excellent value. Adding stain grade rift cut Oak doors is an excellent way to have a custom kitchen look on a tight budget. It also gives you the option to stain them any color you would like. Ikea has limited door color selections especially since Hallarum has been discontinued and black/brown is always on backorder. We are paying $1,500 for a trim guy to make the doors and panels. Normally it costs an additional $500 to $600 to stain the doors but it could be done by one person in a weekend.

Here is the budget breakdown on this project:

Ikea Birch frames (no doors) - $1,700
Rift cut white oak doors - $1,500
Labor - $1,500
Staining - $500
Total = $5,200

An Ikea tidaholm oak kitchen would cost us $3,500 installed. You could do a Ikea/custom kitchen hybrid for $3,200 to $3,500 if you did the labor and staining yourself. To build an equilavent kitchen from scratch in white oak costs us $15,000.

Posted by Anna Maria Di Gesu at January 07. 2008

Previously Jason wrote:

William - the cabinet hardware is Ikea. I think the handles are $10 for two or something. They are ridicously cheap and they hold up well. Ikea door frames are and excellent value. Adding stain grade rift cut Oak doors is an excellent way to have a custom kitchen look on a tight budget. It also gives you the option to stain them any color you would like. Ikea has limited door color selections especially since Hallarum has been discontinued and black/brown is always on backorder. We are paying $1,500 for a trim guy to make the doors and panels. Normally it costs an additional $500 to $600 to stain the doors but it could be done by one person in a weekend.

Here is the budget breakdown on this project:

Ikea Birch frames (no doors) - $1,700
Rift cut white oak doors - $1,500
Labor - $1,500
Staining - $500
Total = $5,200

An Ikea tidaholm oak kitchen would cost us $3,500 installed. You could do a Ikea/custom kitchen hybrid for $3,200 to $3,500 if you did the labor and staining yourself. To build an equilavent kitchen from scratch in white oak costs us $15,000.

Hi Jason

I am redoing my kitchen and like many others I am having a really hard time finding modern cabinets at a reasonable price. I am very intrigued by the idea of using Ikea Frames and custom doors. Could you direct me to any suppliers of custom doors? I live in southern NJ near Philadephia.

Thanks

AnnaMaria

Posted by Anna Maria Di Gesu at January 07. 2008

Hi Jason

I am redoing my kitchen and like many others I am having a really hard time finding modern cabinets at a reasonable price. I am very intrigued by the idea of using Ikea Frames and custom doors. Could you direct me to any suppliers of custom doors? I live in southern NJ near Philadephia.

Thanks

AnnaMaria

Posted by Kathy Fox at November 23. 2012

If you’ve ever had to redo a kitchen I mean a total gut job then you know that the cost of the cabinets is usually your largest expenditure (unless you go all crazy and ask for glazed lava stone counter tops from France, which can set you back $300 per square foot.

http://www.kitchencabinetrylouisville.com/

Posted by Janne Reeves at March 04. 2013

You can go for a DIY project, it will save a lot for you. Get ready to assemble kitchen cabinets and install them yourself. You can buy them directly from the shop or you can get them online as well. If you buy kitchen cabinets online you can save more, as online stores have lower overheads and often deal direct with the manufacturer, cutting out the middleman.