Sections

Modern Fences/Screens Ideas

by Pat Donovan last modified Jul 06, 2011 02:34 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Modern Fences/Screens Ideas

Posted by Pat Donovan at March 15. 2005

Hi all...
I'm looking for some examples of modern fencing/screening options of a Medium sized yard. I found an old sunset book how to Build Fences Gates-1971 that has some fun ideas but I was wondering if anyone might have anymore. I would like it to provide some privacy, probably be 6' tall. Any ideas or pictures would be apperciated. Thanks.

PAT

Re: Modern Fences/Screens Ideas

Posted by Patrick Anderson at March 15. 2005

there was a nice looking fence in an article in Dwell. it was horizontal boards butted together and looked similar to a hardwood floor turned up 90 dgrees.

Posted by Steve Schafer at March 15. 2005

><br>

I don't know how much privacy you're looking for, but here's a design I've been working on:

It's based on traditional latticework found on building facades in Japan, primarily in the Kyoto area.

-Steve

><br>

Posted by John Isaac at March 16. 2005

Hi Pat,

We've combined sand blasted glass and regular painted wood fencing. You might like it, here's some pictures -
http://www.editfurnishings.com/southparkhome.htm

john

Posted by Zachary Anderson at March 16. 2005

john,
how much $ would one spend on a screen like that?

Posted by John Isaac at March 16. 2005

ezekieltattoo,

The cost is US$1000 for fencing people (wood labor), US$400 for glass and US$15 for the paint. Size is 6 ft. high by 15 ft. wide.

Posted by Nicole Francus at March 19. 2005

I love the sandblasted glass fencing, and all the pics. I thought of two things to throw in, since you said medium sized yard: I saw pics of a bathroom with sandblasted plexiglass walls recently (can't remember where) and it looked just like sandblasted glass. Also, I really like the fence in the Ocean Park, CA house in Sept 04 Dwell, Smart Spartan, pg. 56. Anyone with a scanner who can help out? I like the way it looks, and it is cost-conscious in that the 2x4s are ripped diagonally to maintain strength, create texture/angle, and produce twice as much building material.

Posted by Patrick Shearer at March 25. 2005
This is a picture of a sign, but I like this idea for a fence, too. It is metal posts with square metal mesh. The posts were allowed to rust for effect, but I suppose depending on the look that you were going for you could use different materials or treat the metal, etc.

Depending on your climate, you could have vines grow on this for more privacy.

If you save this image or open it in a new window it should be bigger with more detail available.

Posted by Miriam Huthinson at August 01. 2005

Posted by Daniel Burns at August 01. 2005

nevermind. sorry.

Posted by jakob clark at August 01. 2005

modern is modern because modern jumped over the modern,

when i bought my modern modern i moderned.

i think i will ask modern to the modern,

then we can modern on the modern modern modern.

Posted by James King at July 06. 2011

Nice fence. Hope it can be used for Glass Pool Fence