Personal tools
Sections

Interior Door: Pocket - Translucent

by Eero_Eames last modified Aug 22, 2012 03:37 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 1 votes)

Interior Door: Pocket - Translucent

Posted by Eero_Eames at July 22. 2006

I have been searching for a translucent (frosted glass, acrylic...) pocket door but have only found very expensive italian doors (which we think are great: www.boscaarredi.it and www.longhi.it) . What options are out there?

The other type of door we haven't been able to find: horizontal grain flush doors. Let me know if there are some good resources for modern interior doors here in the US...

Thanks,

Re: Interior Door: Pocket - Translucent

Posted by cdrmemphis at July 23. 2006

I love the boscaaredi doors! Have you considered having doors custom made by a local millwork company to be what you want? It might end up being cheaper than going with an Italian import door.

The problem we are running into is finding modern exterior door for our back door. Anyone know of a source? Why does every door need to have all those raised panels? We just want something plan, wood or maybe a fiberglass with a window in it. Seems like it should be simple, but as we all know finding anything modern is a bit difficult. Maybe custom for the exterior doors is the way to go also.

Posted by Ian McLagan at July 23. 2006

We went with custom storefront aluminum with frames by Western Integrated and Valli Valli handles. Very slick.

Also got matching front doors with Omnia hardware.

For best in class I'd recommend you familiarize yourself with Rimadesio Ghost doors. Longhi doors are a decent but cannot compare.

Posted by Eero_Eames at July 23. 2006

Cdr,
Bosca doors are great. There is a dealer here in DC and they are even more impressive in person.

I visited one millwork company and they were not very helpful: they had never seen or heard of a door with horizontal grain. When I told them I would be hanging them from industrial exposed tracks they asked me if I was opening a restaurant...what???

I still have to visit a few more, we'll see how it goes. As for exterior doors, I'm pretty sure you are in the same position we are: you'll likely have to go with something custom made. Unless you change your mind about modernissm and decide to go with those exterior doors with beveled glass inserts and gold trims. These you would find very easily :)

Peakjunkie,
Rimadesio doors are indeed very nice, thanks for the info.

Posted by Frank Jones at August 15. 2006

they have interior translucent sliders at Lowes for a reasonable price. You can convert them into pocket doors.

Posted by Adam Kline at September 05. 2006

Check out [url href=http://www.johnsonhardware.com/pdindex.htm]Johnson[/url] for hardware; they are supposed to be the best for pocket doors.

As for the door itself, I'm currently infatuated with the product lines at [url href=http://www.3-form.com]3-Form[/url]

Posted by Steven Comisso at September 05. 2006

Try www.c-living.com. I saw the doors in person, very nice-priced reasonably. They are made in Canada with Italian stuff and sold in US through distribution in Michigan.

Posted by darrel at September 05. 2006

Wow. Those first two web sites are annoyingly bad.

I'd have to second the 'have it built' suggestion. I can't see why it'd be that expensive to just have some custom doors built.

Posted by Jeanette LeBlanc at September 06. 2006

[quote:LynchComissoSC format=text/plain]Try www.c-living.com. I saw the doors in person, very nice-priced reasonably. They are made in Canada with Italian stuff and sold in US through distribution in Michigan.[/quote]

I checked out their website and really liked what I saw. Send a query but have not heard back. I'm curious if you could tell me what the price range was for the doors you saw?

Posted by Jermaine Greene at September 07. 2006

they have interior translucent sliders at Lowes for a reasonable price. You can convert them into pocket doors.

If you are referring to the same kind they have at HomeDepot, then we must debate the definition of reasonable price. The ones at HD LOOK great; True modern design with frosted glass and dark wood. However, $350 for a simple high density particle board door with NO hardware is rediculous. Especially when you can get a REAL Anderson or Pella door for that kind of money. Yet again, a product simply being CLASSIFIED as modern, even made with low cost materials, has inflated the price to the outrageous.

Posted by Steven at September 07. 2006

Ikea has translucent/annodized alum sliders for their wardrobes. I have two of them. They might be able to be adapted and used creatively for pocket doors.

Posted by James Bell at September 22. 2006

I called c-living to find out a price for a sliding door for my closets. They were not cheap. I just saw the paper that I wrote the quote out on, and of course, now I can't find it.

They gave me a rough estimate and I want to say it was around $30/sf for a custom sized door. I copuld be way off though. Just give them a call. Ill give an update if I find the piece of paper.

Good luck...let us know what you find because I am looking for the same type doors.

Posted by Leslie Jensen at September 23. 2006

I've been searching for the same type of doors. In my search I've come across this website [url href=http://www.martelfab.com/arch_ibeam.htm]Martel Fab[/url]. They have sliding doors, pocket doors, and room dividers. I have not contacted them yet about pricing. They might be expensive because all of the doors are custom, but at least this is another modern resource and they are in the US.

Posted by Matteo Baceda at December 13. 2006

I did the same type of research and I settled for modernus.com (http://www.modernus.com). I felt that I needed to combine budget with quality, and for what I saw they came out on top. They are a factory direct shop which sources the doors from Italy. These are really high end doors, but all in all the prices were acceptable. I have seen way too many cheaper options in the market, that really look cheap and won't last. The problem I discovered is that if the aluminum profile is not strong enough, it bows over time, compromising the ability of the door to open smoothly.

Check the out. I am sure you'd like the quality of their product.

Previously Leslie Jensen wrote:

I've been searching for the same type of doors. In my search I've come across this website [url href=http://www.martelfab.com/arch_ibeam.htm]Martel Fab[/url]. They have sliding doors, pocket doors, and room dividers. I have not contacted them yet about pricing. They might be expensive because all of the doors are custom, but at least this is another modern resource and they are in the US.

Posted by Matteo Baceda at December 20. 2006

I found the Modernus company (http;//www.modernus.com), and they offer the Bosca Arredi doors are factory direct prices.... that's something. Their service is also really good.

Posted by John Smith at October 14. 2010
Pocket door hardware are great looking when modern!

Posted by John Smith at October 14. 2010

Hi all, I found great contemporary pocket door hardware on CDH, it is the only place where I found modern pocket door hardware. This line of hardware saved my life! We can finally lock our pocket door, by keeping it modern, which was very rare before then. It matches our stainless steel door handles throughout the house, our modern door stops, and beautiful door pulls.

For the one who wants to have modern flush pulls for pocket doors, it is also the way to go!

http://www.contemporary-door-hardware.com

Attachments