Personal tools
Sections

Painting a granite countertop

by ritter vonali last modified May 09, 2006 11:41 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)
Click to change your rating: (not rated)
  worthless bad average good great

Painting a granite countertop

Posted by ritter vonali at May 07. 2006

I'm looking into a condo with some very basic dark granite countertops in the kitchen. I'm not very fond of granite but I also don't want to spend the money to install what I really want (bulthaup). Would it be possible to paint them? I'd like to paint them a light gray color and seal it with something (polyurethane?) to prevent scratches. thanks

Re: Painting a granite countertop

Posted by Kevin Dickson at May 08. 2006

Bulthaup is just stainless. You could overlay stainless, but the edge details are troublesome. Painting granite is frankly crazy.

Posted by ritter vonali at May 08. 2006

i figured someone would think i'm crazy. if it's not possible or if it will look like s$^%t then i'll try to sell it.

Posted by 5280mod at May 08. 2006

You really don't want to paint your granite.

Have you seen the ad for FXSheeting in Dwell? They have a brushed stainless flexible laminate...

You could sell the granite and put the FXsheeting over a cheap laminate counter top or plywood. That would get you closer the look you were after and be much more practical and livable.

[url href="http://www.alsacorp.com/products/sheetingfx/sheetingfx.htm"]http://www.alsacorp.com/products/sheetingfx/sheetingfx.htm[/url]

Attachments

Posted by Splatgirl at May 09. 2006

I agree that painting granite is crazy. IMO, no granite is THAT ugly! Plus I think it would look like crap, IF you could get something to stick, that is. The FX is a great idea. I cna't think of a more durable substrate, plus the laminate could be removed if anyone ever wants the granite back.