Personal tools
Sections

looking for more bath vanity ideas...

by Fran Loosen last modified Jun 26, 2011 08:37 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

looking for more bath vanity ideas...

Posted by Fran Loosen at February 07. 2006

I am looking for a bathroom vanity under 31 that has an undermount sink, but am having a hard time trying to get the cost down with the option of having a solid surface or stone top.

Has anyone come across a good looking solid-surface product (I'm looking for a solid color, white, black, grey, something...the rest of the bathroom is white tile and the vanity will be espresso black.) that would have the sink integrated? How much do they cost to fabricate? Where in the heck do I find them on the web? (I may be putting in the wrong keywords in HD and Lowes and forget the lame-o website Expo has...).

Or, how does it work having a stone piece fabricated for the bath. Do I have to go through the same process as I am in my kitchen (tag the stone, work with a fabricator, etc) or does someone sell standard undermount counter tops somewhere?

These things are so expensive! What's up with that?

Thanks for your help,

Fran

Re: looking for more bath vanity ideas...

Posted by mjfree at February 07. 2006

Steel could be cool, and certainly solid-surface. You could pick up a piece of 5/16 at your local steel supply, and ask them to plasma cut out your sink hole and grind smooth. Then, youd have to drill and tap for your undermount attachments. Finally, you would have to seal the steel. Prior to sealing, you can run a hot torch over the surface and bring out interesting blue and yellow tones....anyhow, this would take some work coordinating with the steel supply. The nice thing about steel, they arent used to making a KILLING on countertops. They'd just charge a couple hours labor for cutting, grinding, drilling/tapping, and possibly torching. So, you may walk out for under 200.

Posted by Ryan Mathern at February 08. 2006

Here are two vanity tops I did in American Walnut and Peruvian Walnut, each with an epoxy and polyurethane finish top and bottom.

http://www.ryanmathern.com/gallery.html#bathrooms

The undermount sinks were under $50 from Expo. The wood and fabrication costs came to about the same as low end solid surface with the sink costing much less.

Posted by flyleft at February 08. 2006

RMCF, those counters are *gorgeous*. Could you please tell me what epoxy and polyurethane finish you used? We have some teak from a coffee table we're going to refinish and use as our bathroom counter and I'd *love* to end up with that kind of finish on it. And to the OP, we picked this up for $125 (it's a big coffee table, solid laminated teak, with enough left over for us to make something else too) and are refinishing it ourselves, had a friend cut out the space for the Ikea Hollviken sink we're putting in--voila :).

Posted by Greg Van Housen at February 09. 2006

Hey if the steel thing interests you, I had a bathroom vanity made at an industrial Kitchen Supply shop. They custom make the size of the counter out of industrial grade rolled stainless, will gladly cut holes for sink and fawcets,,,grind it smooth and you are ready to rock at $150.00. (I rim mounted the sink but as the other posting said....no reason you can't hit it from below....(Excuse the dust in pix attached....yellow tiles were being ripped out.)

Of course it does require a commitment to that post-industrial look

Another way to look at it...

For my downstairs powderoom I bought a very decent reproduction chinese antique chest for $400 and cut the appropriate holes. No reason you couldn't do the same and slab some stone on top of any piece of furniture that meets your decorating style. Get some Pour On or some other type of protection for the top if you leave it wood as I did. See before pix in group.

Posted by Fran Loosen at February 09. 2006

JuJuBee, didn't see the pictures. Can you repost?

Posted by Daniel Homes at April 25. 2011

The most common kind of modern bathroom vanity is the vessel sink type. It looks like a bowl mounted on top of the vanity cabinet. The bowl is usually made of glass or ceramic and looks sleek and stylish.

Get a discount and find traditional to modern furniture styles for every room at furniture stores in Los Angeles.

Posted by Michael Liberman at June 26. 2011

Previously Daniel Homes wrote:

The most common kind of modern bathroom vanity is the vessel sink type. It looks like a bowl mounted on top of the vanity cabinet. The bowl is usually made of glass or ceramic and looks sleek and stylish.

Get a discount and find traditional to modern furniture styles for every room at furniture stores in Los Angeles.

I found some on Overstock.com that seem pretty reasonably priced.