Personal tools
Sections

Options for a cheap sectional sofa

by Sean Murray last modified Nov 07, 2015 05:26 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 84 votes)

Options for a cheap sectional sofa

Posted by Sean Murray at May 09. 2005

I just moved into a fairly large one bedroom loft (950 sq ft) and am looking to get a new sofa to fill up my main room. I'm looking at sectional sofas with a modern design to them, but I'm having some trouble finding ones in my price range. I'm looking to spend about $1000, + or - $300 or so. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Options for a cheap sectional sofa

Posted by B Rosendahl at May 10. 2005

You could either try IKEA (www.ikea.com) or Funky Sofa (www.funkysofa.com/). I've never ordered from Funky Sofa, but I have ordered from IKEA and was very impressed with the shipping and the product itself.

Posted by Adam Burke at May 10. 2005

Also try West Elm, but the quality is spotty, the same for Ikea sofas. $1000 is a tough order to fill for a sectional.

Posted by Sean Murray at May 11. 2005

Does anyone have any experience ordering sofa's from ebay? I've found a few different ones from both Stendmar.com and Insider Express on ebay. I'm nervous ordering a couch I've never actually sat on though. One in particular I'm looking at is this one, so if anyone has any experience with it I'd appreciate the input.

[url href=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemcategory=4960item=4378755200tc=photo]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemcategory=4960item=4378755200tc=photo[/url]

*edit*

also, anyone have any experience with the [url href=http://www.eurway.com/sofas.lasso?itemid=2941categorykey=94subcategorykey=45page=1-session=eo_user:452DD63A0c7a10EA98SkX40925A9]Iman Sectional[/url]from Eurway?

Posted by Brian Boudreau at May 11. 2005

I have ordered from Eurway in the past and they have been very good. No complaints at all.

Posted by Adam Burke at May 11. 2005

I would just caution you to be aware that $1000 is WAY cheaper than anything else like that I've seen, so the quality may be a little crummy. Sure is tempting at that price though!

Posted by jakob clark at May 11. 2005

Do you have to have a sectional? If a better quality sofa (rather than sectional) for your price range could be had I would opt for that. If you can't sit on it first I would try to get it from a retailer that is known for its dedication to quality and good design.

DWR is well respected. They have added a couple of moderately priced sofas to their catalog. The most affordable being $1300. Although that is slightly more than your price, it is only a little more to pay for peace of mind. If it is the quality that DWR is known for, it's a steal.

I have attached a pic of the sofa. I like it. It isn't too far out. It seems like a good anchor for a room, leaving room for other pieces to speak as well. It looks comfy and it pays homage to the warm danish modern of the midcentury.

You should also visit www.roomandboard.com. After you click on sofas they have a sectional called $999 and under. Most of these are around $999 for a full sofa and $899 for a loveseat. Also, check out their regular line. Most of the upholstered sofas (as opposed to leather) are still around $1300. I can't remember, but it seems they have a couple of sofas with a sectional option.

Has anyone ever sat on one of the room and board sofas? Seems like a Herman Miller retailer would be of good quality. I have visted them in Chicago, but was in and out. My wife was growing weary of the all day furniture showroom field trip.

Good luck! Let us know what you find.

Posted by jakob clark at May 11. 2005

Can anyone tell me why my pic didn't post....I uploaded the file.

Oh well, here's the link.

http://www.dwr.com/imageViewer.cfm?id=6722rows=1viewerName=View%20in%20Location

Attachments

Posted by Adam Burke at May 11. 2005

I don't know for sure, but i think that DWR sofa is made by the same manufacturer as the Room and Board sofas of similar design. Crate and Barrel also has a similar design which I'm almost positive is by the same manufacturer. I've sat on the Crate and Barrel version and it was sturdy and comfy. The Room and Board version, called the Jasper I believe, was the runner up choice when we bought our sofa. We ended up with a 'Jackson' sofa from Pot Barn. This is a discontinued line that was manufactured by Mitchell Gold. I wish they still had it because I'd love to get matching chairs. My wife had a discount while working there and we got the sofa for 30% off I think.

Posted by Sean Murray at May 12. 2005

I'm really leaning towards the Iman Sectional right now. I'd really love it if someone else out there has had it and can let me know how comfortable it is. Also, it says it's covered in 25% polyester and 75% acrylic fabric. What exactly will that feel like?

Posted by jakob clark at May 12. 2005

Emo, who makes the Iman? Do you have a link?

RealPill, do you have a pic of the Jackson sofa? Interesting it does seem like all of these sofas are manufactured by the same company. Any way to find out?

Posted by lorraine nishiguchi at May 12. 2005

Whitespike, I'm glad you worked out the pic problem. I love your living room! What kind of rug or carpet is that in front of your sofa, and what is the paint color? Where did you get that lighting fixture? Good job -- I love it all! Got any more pix to share?

Posted by Sean Murray at May 12. 2005

not to be rude, but if you want to talk to someone about something other than the intended topic of this thread, please send them a message directly. I would prefer it if my thread wasn't stolen. Thank you.

Posted by Adam Burke at May 12. 2005

Meooooow!

Posted by Adam Burke at May 12. 2005

Hey Jacob, I'll try to post the Jackson in the next couple days. I can't find ANY reference to it anywhere on the web. I'll do this on another thread, of course!

Posted by jakob clark at May 12. 2005

Hey EMO, lighten up dude. Conversation always deviates a little....in person and online.

NISHLOR. LOL. Thanks for the compliment, but this is an environment sales photo from design within reach! They always do have nice photos though!

Realpill, thanks man. Don't kill yourself over it, but sofas have been a topic of interest for me lately. It seems many people take different stances. Some want a remarkably different design and some want a subtle clean lined anchor.

Posted by Christy Kilgore-Hadley at May 13. 2005

Jakob - don't lie. That's your living room and now you are being modest. :)

Posted by Hayden at May 13. 2005

[quote:findingEMO format=text/plain]I'm really leaning towards the Iman Sectional right now. I'd really love it if someone else out there has had it and can let me know how comfortable it is. Also, it says it's covered in 25% polyester and 75% acrylic fabric. What exactly will that feel like?[/quote]

There is a Eurway a few miles from my house. I could run over there some time this afternoon and give it a sit and let you know. Most everything there is of acceptable quality but I wouldn't expect the sofa to be really soft.

Posted by Nate Koehler at May 13. 2005

I have been to Euroway a couple times and each time my girlfriend and I eye this sofa. We sit on it and imagine it in our apartment (it would look great) and then we leave without purchasing it. There are two reasons for this.
First the fabric cover is the main turn off. It really isn't very comfortable. Kinda scratchy and not very soft. If it came in a grey suede microfiber, I would have been sitting on this sofa everynight for months.

My second complaint is that it isn't all that comfortable. The dimensions on it are just slightly off for my girlfriend and me. I'm 6 foot and she is 5'4 and neither of us has ever felt really at ease on it. The horizontal seat is rather deep and the back not really high enough to make me feel fully supported.

In spite of these issues I continually desire this sofa because of its affordability, looks, and my desire to get rid of the damn wood framed futon I currently slouch on everynight.

We did find a sofa that we are seriously considering, last week. EQ3 Replay sofa. Was actually comfortable, the microfiber suede was not the highest quality but more comfortable than the Iman. And if you aren't a fan of RED you can get it in a few other less glaring colors.

Posted by Julie Brown at May 13. 2005
Chiasso has some nice items in their catalog, but I don't know what the quality is like. They have some under $1000 sofas on closeout.

Posted by jakob clark at May 13. 2005

Yes. This is the problem with modern sofas right now. Most are either too pricey or the ones you can get don't quite fit all of your needs.

I like Modernica's sofas but they all have one thing or another that doesn't quite get there to me.

The Case Study is the most comfortable. It is slightly too plain for me.

The 810 is charming. I love the look. It is also comfy enough, but the seat is reaaaallly deep. My wife is short and I'm no giant myself.

The case study daybed is great. It isn't quite the amount of sofa most people want as a main piece. The back is a low. If you add arms to add substance the actual sitting area is shortened considerably. It is a great little sofa however.

Where are teh sofas with comfort, interesting form, quality construction, and between $1500 - $2500?

Posted by jakob clark at May 13. 2005

This is a cute sofa. I think it's 1200 at room and board.

Attachments

Posted by k kuo at May 16. 2005

whitespike, agreed on RB.

had the Arcadia for about 45 days, love the design, but it started to slouch a little and lost a bit of its firmness. the Arcadia wooden frame started to dig in under my thighs. traded up for an Avalon ($250 more); a lot firmer and lighter, and a somewhat funky looking piece.

http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/dept.do?dept=RB158

Posted by Adam Burke at May 16. 2005

Yeah, that Avalon is really cute, particularly with the extra width. I like the Andre' at RB, it's somewhat like my current sofa... hmmm, take the legs of the 'Carmichael' and the body of the 'Andre' and you've pretty much got it.

I have two different criteria for sofas... there are the ones that stand alone, like the Andre and Avalon, then there are the ones that make great sectionals which almost funtion as a structure to the room. I like both: I imagine the stand alone with some cool side tables and side chairs in the more formal room, and the sectionl as part of the lounge/TV/play room where the whole family slouches together in comfort.

Posted by Sara R. Sage at May 16. 2005

This is a great thread. I have been trying to find the same thing as the original poster and realized that I just need to get a decent sofa for the same price.

Thanks for the Room Board link Whitespike. Does anyone have experience with the [url href=http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/coll.do?coll=RB3687dept=RB158]Porter[/url] Sofa?

Posted by jakob clark at May 17. 2005

I'm/We're glad to help Sara. From kk's post it seems that the sofas in that price range (including the Porter) are more sturdy. I do like that one...very handsome.

I would like to add info on my 'second' sofa that I bought from IKEA. First off, I do not recommend IKEA usually. The sofa is called the Lilburg. It is one of the most comfortable sofas I have used. It has four different positions (a moveable back) and very comfy cushions. One thing though, my friend has an older one that can fold all the way down to make a double bed, mine doesn't (I was disappointed, but I wonder if it caused problems).

As far as the construction, of course it could be better. It is solid birch. However, what they don't tell you is it is pieced together. The back is nice looking, having birch slats...they do seem slightly thin, but have held up well .... i use it the most being my TV sofa.

The sofa is only 229! At that price it can be dumpster food when it's worn. My friend's is over 2 years old and shows no wear. Christy (on this board) also has one.

Posted by Sara R. Sage at May 17. 2005

That Lillberg sofa always reminds me of something my very old-fashioned grandmother had. She had different handmade slipcovers that she changed out when she did the wash. Anyway, it's very similar to the ones of my childhood.

I don't remember that they were very comfortable, but they were very practical. I imagine the wood would look nice with a stain. Anyway, I would consider it as a second sofa as well. Actually, I think it would be very practical for a family with young children.

Thanks again!

Posted by jakob clark at May 17. 2005

Yeah. I found a vintage sofa once with the same slatted style back and slipcovers....very grandma modern. Although the Lilberg has cleaner lines. Definitely a second sofa or a good first sofa. Also, I forgot to mention it has exposed screws etc. which make it look cooler ... very crafty, and better looking in person.

I wanted a case study daybed for my second but didn't have 1600 to spend on a second sofa. Also, check out Modernica's L-29 series. The armless sofa looks pretty rad and it's their most affordable sofa. Modernica sofas are high quality.

http://www.modernica.net/browseProducts.asp?CatId=1023

Posted by Ami McElroy at May 17. 2005

It's not inexpensive, but Mitchell Gold makes some really nice sofas and sectionals -- and they even have some modern looking stuff, too. Like realpill said in a previous entry, Mitchell Gold makes furniture for places like Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware and Crate Barrel. Their stuff for PB and RH is more on the traditional side. But they make more mod-lookin' stuff for CB.

This is their Stephon sectional:

And here it is as a stand-alone:

The quality and comfort of the furniture is excellent. The couch above was selling for $1600 (not including shipping) in a grade 2 fabric, which is a great price if you ask me. You can certainly spend more (and you would if you opted for the addition of a chaise to make this a sectional).

The cool thing is that with MG, you can choose fabrics for your furniture. They supply "stock" furniture to retailers like PB, RH and CB, but when you order through MG, you can custom order (6-8 weeks).

We have a MG store in town (Seattle) and they are currently having a floor sale and there are some great deals. So if you have a distributor near you, that's a good way to get stuff cheaper.

We love the Stephon, we're getting it for our pad. But there are lots of different styles:

http://www.mitchellgold.com/

Posted by Christi Glendinning at May 17. 2005

I have bought several vintage modern sectionals on ebay, all substantially less than $1000. But its buyer beware.....one that I thought was a gamble turned out to be an amazing deal. Another that looked great in the pictures (thanks to the magic of photoshop or lighting) was heinously faded, stained and reeked - even after a professional clean. Since you have to pay $$$ for shipping even if they give you refund, its a risk. But there are some nice pieces out there.