Personal tools
Sections

posts on black countertops?

by Fran Loosen last modified Feb 20, 2006 08:26 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

posts on black countertops?

Posted by Fran Loosen at February 12. 2006

I am either a total dork or the search function on the site isn't working for me... There was a thread in this forum or the materials forum that talked about options for black countertops. I've tried the search for black counter tops, Paper Stone, etc. Has anyone see it and can they send me there?

We're thinking about installing Paper Stone in our kitchen, but want to hear from others about how Paper Stone wears and functions after install (down the road a bit). Any insights would be lovely, thanks!

Fran

Re: posts on black countertops?

Posted by Quackrel at February 13. 2006

Posted by Fran Loosen at February 13. 2006

Thanks Quackrel! There was another I was looking for on black countertops. Anyone else have problems with the search function?

Best,

Fran

Posted by David Roser at February 16. 2006

Is this the one you were looking for floosen?

http://members.livemodern.com/forums/dwell/dwelllabs/885917937965

Posted by nextmodernfacilities at February 16. 2006

recently I got samples of paperstone from www.kliptech.com
they look pretty hot - I have no other information on them
at the moment, but they were responsive, so check it out

it kind of looks like those black lab counters

Be careful with solid color countertops....

Posted by mjfree at February 16. 2006

Please be careful. We fell in love with the solid black countertops so we installed a black Richlite countertop in our bathroom. It just looks awesome when it is perfectly clean and just wiped down. However, I would never never never install another solid color countertop ever again. There is a definite beauty to these countertops - but you have to be practical too. there are water spots, dust spots (horrible on black), toothpaste marks, spots from the soap drips, etc. We are really clean people - and this countertop in unmanageable. It is just so impractical. Please dont fool yourself into thinking the practical side is not important - it is all of these spots you see on a day-to-day basis and only the perfect black top after you've cleaned and before the first person walks into the kitchen/bathroom/etc.

Good luck - but please let practicality rule your decisions!

Posted by Karen Pittman at February 17. 2006

Hmm, mjfeestone, maybe your standards of cleanliness are way above mine, or maybe black just works better in the kitchen where there is no toothpaste, but I've been really happy with black Richlite in my kitchen. It does show dust, but I haven't had any problem with water spots. I do wipe frquently to remove crumbs, and that takes care of the dust too. There was the time that a well-meaning friend took a scotchbrite to it to remove some pizza dough, which left a few lighter abraded areas before I could stop her. I didn't do anything about it (although I think I could have re-sealed it, as the installer left a can of the stuff), and now even that has mellowed and doesn't stand out. So I guess the upshot is, don't write black off, but if you are considering it I guess you should try to get a look at some in action.

Cheers,
-KP

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at February 17. 2006

Nextmodernfacilities, Have you gotten a cost estimate for the kliptech? Or does anyone have one for the Richlite? thanks.

Posted by Fran Loosen at February 19. 2006

We just went to the Environmental Home Center in Seattle (visiting from Michigan) to check out the PaperStone and it's just gorgeous. My husband contacted Kliptech and they have been just awesome and attentive. We're a bit worried as nobody has worked with paperstone in MI (on our construction team), but it's supposed to be like working with hardwood. The Paperstone costs are available from EHC, but I think that Kliptech will deal with you directly if there isn't a dealer in your area. Here's a like to EHC's pricing: http://www.environmentalhomecenter.com/shop.mv?CatCode=PRODUCTProdCode=COMPCOUNTER

Not sure how it wears, but it's gorgeous.

mjfreestone, thanks for the heads up. We had honed absolute black granite in our last home and tend to take a wabi sabi attitude about the way things exist in our space (e.g., my collection of copperwear is mottled with color, not polished bright). I've just been concerned about permanent damage or spots and things that cannot be taken out. Esp because this product is not common in Ann Arbor and I am a bit apprehensive about not doing granite for resale some day.

If you want a cool book on wabi sabi, check out Leonard Koren's book Wabi-Sabi: for Artists, Designers, Poets Philosophers. I loved it.

Fran

Posted by Fran Loosen at February 19. 2006

Larv, yes, that was exactly it, thank you!

Fran

Posted by nextmodernfacilities at February 20. 2006

rous - I have not estimated it yet, but they were very proactive with information, so I'm guessing that they'd
be happy to provide an esitmate for you.