Personal tools
Sections

frosted glass as kitchen backsplash

by f1rstborn last modified Feb 08, 2012 02:55 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

frosted glass as kitchen backsplash

Posted by f1rstborn at June 11. 2006

anyone currently have this look? how did you adhere to the wall and does the glue show through? thanks.

Re: frosted glass as kitchen backsplash

Posted by JB at June 12. 2006

It's eaiest if you don't have electrical items in the splash.
It gets trickier if you do-
You'll want to measure for the glass after your cabinets and counters are installed. Providing you measure accurately- just a silicon bead top and bottom will do the trick. If you're really paranoid you can get a small aluminum channel at the top to hold things in place. (fasten to the wall cabinets)
ANYTHING behind the splash will show. So you definitely can't glue it to the wall.
We did one job where a teeny spider got himself in there after installation- Needless to say we had to dismantle the whole thing (there was a hood mounted on the glass)- and it wasn't fun.
So- seal it up tight.

Posted by Ryan Murphy at June 12. 2006

You can use 'spandrel glass' which is actually opaque on the back, hence nothing shows through.

Posted by Christopher Saunders at June 21. 2006

I've gone the other direction.

Two years ago I installed frosted glass backsplash using the plastic clips and screws used to attach mirror to walls/doors.

Considered using silicone adhesive as a back-up to the clips (belt and syuspenders approach).

In the end I went with clips only and its worked fine and allows the glass to be easily removed for cleaning.

Posted by LS at July 14. 2006
redzone, You can most certainly install glass as backsplash and you can most certainly use adhesive to attach it to the wall. We have installed a glass backsplash on one side of our galley kitchen including behind the stove and the sink. It is really a very nice, clean and practical choice for a backsplash (in my opinion). We used GlasskoteUSA - the US arm of a longstanding Australian company. Glasskote has been doing this for years and years in Aus and we were very comfortable going with gkUSA. They use a special coating in the back which can be formulated in whatever color you want (supposedly. we were only interested in a few shades of blue and green-gray :) ), the coating adheres to the glass better than paint in that it won't start to peel or delaminate over time. They installed the coated glass backsplash with a silicone adhesive, i think. Also, we used tempered glass for our backsplash. Our pictures are at: the following site. And here's a quick picture of the kitchen with the glass backsplash. Before we had this installed, I had purchased one of the IKEA tempered glass notice boards and attached that to the wall behind the backsplash with the screws and bolts they give you :cool: Basically, this is just to say that I give the glass backsplash a big thumbs up and that cutouts etc. are absolutely handleable. glier is correct that you install the backsplash after cabinets and counters are in.

Posted by Steven at July 14. 2006

very cool. Thanks for posting pics. Is glasskote available at various dealers in the US? How much is it? That sounds like a good solution for my shower walls too.

Posted by f1rstborn at July 19. 2006

very nice. did you guys use clear or white adhesive? did you paint the wall first? lastly, are those horizontal cabinets ikea? thanks.

Posted by Kale at July 20. 2006

Mindstorm, That is a gorgeous kitchen and the backsplash is striking.

What is the thickness of the glass and is it tempered?

Posted by LS at July 21. 2006

Gosh, apologies for not checking in earlier.

Slenzen, You may want to contact GlasskoteUSA. While they are HQ'd in Connecticut, they are setting up alliances with glass workers all over the place (as I understood it - they have a project in Las Vegas for instance) to sell their product through those local glass sheet vendors. So glasskote would be in the best position to tell you how they'd interface with you. They worked directly with me for example since I was in Massachusetts and not too far away.

Its a great option for the bathroom shower! We have the same colored sheet glass full height on one wall (the wet wall which houses the shower and the sink) of one of our bathrooms. I can personally attest that its a great surface in the bathroom! :)

The glass is itself coated (painted) and not transparent once Glasskote was done prepping and coating it. The color of the adhesive doesn't really matter nor does it matter if the wall was painted enough - although to answer your question the adhesive was not clear (actually it was a very common adhesive who's name escapes me at the moment but you can get it at HD and Lowes) and the wall was painted. However, the wall was painted only because at the time the painters were here we had not the foggiest what we were going to do about a backsplash. Does that make sense?

kale, This was 1/4 thick glass I believe and yes it is tempered. I've heard people say you don't need the glass to be tempered but since we were installing it behind the stove as well, I didn't want to chance non-tempered.

Posted by Eero_Eames at July 22. 2006

I requested a quote from Glasskote some time ago for the kitchen backsplash and a bathroom wall.

The kitchen is rather small and the cost for the backsplash was $1200 plus $300 shipping. Without installation. The number of outlet holes and other inserts make a big difference in price. We had 2 duplex outlets.

The average price for the GlassKote in my case ended up being about $110 per linear foot. But note that the pricing is affected by a lot of fixed costs, so a bigger backsplash may cost only slightly more.

The company was very responsive and gave me the quotes within 24hrs of faxing the measurements. I haven't decided yet if I'll go with this option though.

Posted by rebecca bannan at May 15. 2007

Chiffon Glass out of Seattle Washington is creating custom glass backsplashes that are stunning!!  See what you think.

http://www.chiffonglass.com

Posted by chrissommer at December 04. 2008
I have made back painted glass back splashes for 10 years. I find it best to use 1/4" or 6 mm glass. Only use tempered glass where high heat temperature fluctuation occurs. I found http://www.glassprimer.com

to be the only paint available for back painting your glass. Once the glass is painted and dried, the glass can be cut, drilled, sanded or machine edged without the paint chipping off. This paint is a scientific formulated glass bond process. To install these glass back splashes, walls and counter tops, we always apply a couple pieces of double sided tape to the back of the back painted glass, then apply various wavy thick lines of clear silicone glue. We now press the backpainted glass to the wall, the double sided tape holds the glass in place while the silicone glue dries. It is a very cheap easy do it yourself project if you ask me.

Pete

Attachments

Posted by Peter Smith at September 15. 2009

Some style and design tips to keep in mind while shopping for your glass:

Lighter colors will reflect more light, maximizing the space in a very small area. Large patterns and large designs on the glass will also add to the illusion of a larger space. If you need to minimize your very large area, darker colors will reduce an overly open feeling in a very large kitchen.

Here are some links that might be useful: Look Into a Glass Backsplash for Beauty and Elegance

Glass Painting Video

Posted by ginnybalbo at November 16. 2010

Hey There, I love the purple backsplash!   I'm planning a project for our kitchen and want to use the same color.  Do you have the specs on that color?

Also, do you have any more info on how to mix and apply the glasprimer paint?

Previously chrissommer wrote:

I have made back painted glass back splashes for 10 years. I find it
best to use 1/4" or 6 mm glass. Only use tempered glass where high heat
temperature fluctuation occurs. I found http://www.glassprimer.com

to be the only paint available for back painting your glass. Once the
glass is painted and dried, the glass can be cut, drilled, sanded or
machine edged without the paint chipping off. This paint is a
scientific formulated glass bond process. To install these glass back
splashes, walls and counter tops, we always apply a couple pieces of
double sided tape to the back of the back painted glass, then apply
various wavy thick lines of clear silicone glue. We now press the
backpainted glass to the wall, the double sided tape holds the glass in
place while the silicone glue dries. It is a very cheap easy do it
yourself project if you ask me.

Pete

Posted by Mark Richards at February 01. 2012

If you have a plain kitchen, having frosted glass with bold designs would add the much needed contrast to the cooking area. These are relatively simple to install, and they can last for some time. Once you get bored of one design, you can always get the professionals to remove the glass and install a new one that fits your current tastes.

Posted by John Christmas at February 08. 2012

I have been trying to figure out what kind of lights go well with this way of décor for the kitchen, and I must thank everybody for the advice on this topic because I have been mulling over it for a long time and finally stumbled upon this thread. Cheers people, you make my day!

John - http://www.ldj-lights.co.uk