Personal tools
Sections

What can $20,000 get me for a modern kitchen?

by Vikas Wadhwa last modified Jan 26, 2014 04:38 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 19 votes)

What can $20,000 get me for a modern kitchen?

Posted by Vikas Wadhwa at May 03. 2005

I am planning a gut rehab of my condo and have allocated $20,000 to the kitchen. I want something very modern, minimalist, sleek, etc....

any ideas on what $20k can get? would love any suggestions...

Re: What can $20,000 get me for a modern kitchen?

Posted by trent snyder at May 03. 2005

all i can say is be creative with the cabinets. they can set you back soooo much. think about metal shelving for the uppers. also - do tile countertops instead of marble, granite, etc. 20k is plenty of cash as long as you can skip on a thing or two.

also, search the classifieds for the stainless appliances. i found a great flat ceramic top convection oven/stove for $600. good luck....wish i was in your position:cool:

yeah, i want to have a Bulthaup kitchen type look, without paying the Bulthaup price...any other suggestions are welcome as well

Posted by Jesse Leary at May 03. 2005

How much are you doing yourself? Is it 20K for materials, or 20K for everything, or somewhere in between?

And, someone has to say it: Ikea, Ikea, Ikea.

I would love to do it myself, but don't even know where to start...any ideas on what a Bulthaup Kitchen costs installed? i would ideally want something like the pic attached...

having trouble uploading pic...any reason why? it's a 50kb jpeg file...but everytime i hit preview, the pic doesn't show up

Posted by Jesse Leary at May 04. 2005

Without seeing the pic, it's a safe bet the cabinets will be more than $20k.

Posted by Julie Brown at May 05. 2005

You can't get Bulthaup for $20K, but you can certainly get close with full overlay slab doors for that. I spent about $20K for a gut and remodel 2 years ago with Kraftmaid slab doors and you might get something else more stylish and not much more expensive from a custom cabinetmaker. You could easily get European look laminate doors for that price. Plain doors with cool pulls go a long way toward making the look. There are also some really nice laminates for countertops that will save you a couple of K. There were several shown in the newest edition of Dwell that I got today.

Posted by Jamie Reilly at May 06. 2005

bulthaup kitchen is going to be 50-60k for a small to medium sized kitchen, and that's not going to include any of the appliances. soooooooooo, maybe take the pictures around to some commmercial kitchen companies and see who can fabricate something like what you want. get your fixtures on ebay, get your appliances from a scratch and dent place. and when you win the lottery, buy a balthaup kitchen for your house.

Posted by Ryan Murphy at May 07. 2005

to me, most of what makes european kitchens 'sleek' is the appliances. They don't stick way out from the cabinets, or have horrible plastic control panels. If you use almost any contemporary cabinets but get 'integrated' appliances it's going to look a lot better. For 20K you should have no problem getting some nice miele products in there.Maybe a liebherr fridge.

Posted by Vikas Wadhwa at May 08. 2005
Here's a pic of the kitchen i want...does anyone know any custom cabinet makers that can make similar cabinets for less than 10k?

Posted by Julie Brown at May 08. 2005
That looks like laminate cabinets with bar pulls. Ikea sells several colors of laminate cabs or you could have just about any color you wanted from a custom cabinet maker for under $10K, depending on the size of your kitchen. Custom bar pulls cost a bundle, but they are readily available in a variety of sizes, so that shouldn't be a problem. It also looks like a stainless backsplash and countertop. Those have to be custom fabricated, but they aren't ridiculously expensive. Unless your condo is super large, I think that you shouldn't have much trouble with your budget. If you go with Ikea cabinets, you can probably afford high end appliances.

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at May 08. 2005

How many linear feet of cabinets are you planning on? (wall, base and pantry?)

If you are planning on a smallish 10'x10' kitchen, with 16' of wall and 16' of base cabs, then I think you could get some custom cabinets for 10k (made out of plywood with laminate on the fronts). The Ikea verson of that kitchen will cost you about 1/2 that.

Posted by Vikas Wadhwa at May 08. 2005

that is the exact size of my kitchen - that is just a different unit in the same building...so, i'm not sure what the exact dimensions are. Also, i would want cabinets made to cover the appliance doors, so would I have to go with custom cabinets or would ikea work too? btw...that is a bulthaup kitchen with miele appliances and subzero fridge.

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at May 09. 2005

So the oven, dishwasher and refrigerator will be behind cabinet doors? Or do you mean that you want the refrigerator and dishwasher to have custon panels made to match the cabinets?

Posted by Vikas Wadhwa at May 09. 2005

I would guess that the refrigierator could have custom panels made, but could you do that for a dishwasher as well - given the buttons on the front?

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at May 09. 2005

Sorry, my bad, I was just wondering what you were gettig at when you said you wanted cabinets made to cover the appliance doors.

You can actually get dishwashers with the controls on the top of the door rather than the front (Bosch makes some).

I doubt you could get an Ikea door that would match the size of the appliances.

Posted by nobody at May 09. 2005

henrybuilt is coming out with a modular (cheaper) line, you might want to check with them.

http://www.henrybuilt.com/kitchens_main.asp

Posted by Julie Brown at May 09. 2005
Sure, you can add appliance panels with Ikea. The people at Gardenweb are on volume 42 of the Ikea discussion. I would recommend that you head over there if you are interested. You can probably buy cabinets for a 10x10 kitchen for under $3K, if you select the Ikea option.

Posted by Kevin Dickson at May 10. 2005

Oftentimes you can find used steel cabinets that have been removed and replaced (think eBay). I took some to my local powder coater and had them refinished with silver vein. Powder coating is really a thin plastic coating which is much better than paint. Except for the finish, this kitchen is 50 years old.....

Attachments

Posted by Jesse Leary at May 10. 2005

Hey, I didn't know BMW makes sinks!

Posted by Kevin Dickson at May 10. 2005

Turns out SAAB made the range hood, and I have a Ford hubcap for a frying pan lid.;)

Attachments

Posted by Julie Brown at May 10. 2005

Nice, Kevin! And great use of recycled material, too!

Posted by Jim Herckt at May 13. 2005

Bulthaup is looking to remodel their showrooms currently... they are selling all of the displays at INSANELY reduced pricing... including appliances... Lets just say that I got a full kitchen for what I would have spent at Ikea... call your local or not local Bulthaup and make a deal... GOOD LUCK

Posted by Kevin Dickson at May 14. 2005

Thanks for the tip I'll be down there Monday.
Bulthaupt stuff is such high quality that it's almost worth the price

Posted by aaron coates at May 14. 2005

I would suggest looking into true commercial appliances from a restaurant supplier. We were looking at the Wolf residential ranges, which came in around $6500 for the model we liked, and then looked at Wolf commercial and found almost the same range for around $2200.The commercial appliances must be installed to commercial specs, which may or may not be a hardship depending on your project. This means a bigger exhaust hood fan, zero clearance with the cabinets and counters, and lining the exterior of any cabinets that touch it with sheet metal for a fire proofed surface. They are also easier to clean and made a little sturdier, for the restaurant kitchen market.
The other difference is that the commercial ranges have a higher btu output and do not have an electric ignition, so the burners are always on low. This can be remedied by turning the pilot light off and lighting the stove with a match.
We also found that restaurant suppliers offer stainless countertops with integral sinks for a reasonable amount
We havent decided if this is the way we will go, but it does present an option to stretch our appliance budget.

Posted by Kevin Dickson at May 15. 2005

We bought a similar range to the Wolf, Imperial. Once our kids could walk we realized the mistake. They can get burned touching it, and if they mess with a knob with no pilot light.......

The usefulness of the oven is sketchy too, very poor temperature control. But the thing will last forever in a residential application.

That's it in the photo four posts up.

Posted by Julie Brown at May 15. 2005

Kevin just beat me to the same conclusion. My next door neighbor has a commercial range and hates it. It has a lot less insulation and the door gets very hot. You have to handle it with a towel or a potholder. It looks cool, but I would be inclined to buy something like the GE Profile instead to save money over a Viking or Wolf, if I wanted a range. Right now I'm planning to buy the Kenmore Elite induction cooktop for the new kitchen when it is available in September.

Posted by Ryan Murphy at May 15. 2005

[quote:vik1109 format=text/plain]I would guess that the refrigierator could have custom panels made, but could you do that for a dishwasher as well - given the buttons on the front?[/quote]
miele (and others)make 3 kinds of DW:
incognito = you supply entire cabinet front and handle. Controls are on top edge of door.

integrated = you see control panel but supply a panel that covers bottom 75% of door.

regular = has frame that will hold a sheet of veneer or laminate if you want to cover the white/black/ss front.

of course the regular is cheapest.

similarly, euro fridges come totally integrated - it fits inside a cabinet and fridge door is attached with sliding mech to your cabinet door. Or they come with a frame that allows you to insert a very thin panel to match your kitchen, but you see the handle and frame they supply.

Kevin - love the car logos.

Posted by k kuo at May 16. 2005

nice! price range for a 10'x 12' kitchen??

[quote:vortrex format=text/plain]henrybuilt is coming out with a modular (cheaper) line, you might want to check with them.

http://www.henrybuilt.com/kitchens_main.asp[/quote]