Personal tools
Sections

Question about West Elm color choices

by Sean Murray last modified Apr 11, 2005 08:04 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Question about West Elm color choices

Posted by Sean Murray at April 11. 2005

I'm in the market for a platform bed, and the new West Elm low platform bed has really caught my eye. The only problem is that I'm looking at their site and to me the chocolate and the caramel colors look exactly the same. I seriously cannot tell the difference. Can anyone here either show me a picture where they look different, or describe to me the difference if you've seen them. Thank you.

Re: Question about West Elm color choices

Posted by Adam Burke at April 11. 2005

Oh oh OH! Please read this link: The exact same thing happened to us.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/main/archives/001316.html

Posted by Adam Burke at April 11. 2005

If the collapsing bed doesn't scare you, I'll at least tell you a little about the build quality. We got it in 'chocolate', before 'caramel' was offered. Or as I like to call them, 'dark brown' and 'brown'. The sides are constructed of solid wood... either pine or poplar, but either way, it has quite a few knots. The super dark stain pretty much covers these up, and I would rather have it be made of knotty solid wood that particle board with veneer. That brings me to the next point: The ends of these boards have a super-thin veneer glued to them in order to cover the end grain of the wood. Generally, end grain is hard to glue things to because the cells of the wood are designed to draw moisture inward from this direction, so the glue doesn't take well. It is especially bad in this case because the end grain was not well sanded before the veneer was glued. The veneer was chipped when we got it and continues to get worse every time we stub our toes on it. This really is a case of poor design and quality. We have propped up the middle of the bed in order to fix the collapsing problem, but I regret buying it, and it has made me reluctant to buy other West Elm products even they they have some cool looking stuff.

Posted by Sean Murray at April 11. 2005

thanks for the heads up, I'm reconsidering the bed now. Does anyone have any other suggestions for sub $700 platform beds that are better quality?

Posted by Debra Booth at April 11. 2005

We made the move to a platform bed 2 years ago. We looked around and eventually went for Modernica's Case Study Bed and a Temurpedia Mattress. The Case Study Bed is well constructed, really solid. It's well over your $700 price line--I think it's around $1300 but I have never regreted it.

Debra

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at April 11. 2005

It isn't the same look, but check out the bludot Hotrod bed. www.bludot.com

Also, consider visiting a local furniture maker/woodworker and see what they would charge for a custom bed. I bet you could get a West-Elm-ish design made out of birch (that could be stained dark) for pretty close to $700 and one made out of something really nice, like walnut, for under $1000.