Personal tools
Sections

DIY Concrete fireplace?

by Melissa Wayne last modified Jan 20, 2013 07:54 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 64 votes)

DIY Concrete fireplace?

Posted by Melissa Wayne at October 25. 2005
I had been planning to tile my fireplace surround and hearth with slate for some time now, but still haven't gotten around to it. Lately I've been toying with the idea of applying concrete to it in order to achieve a look like [url href="http://www.buddyrhodes.com/studio/imageGallery.cfm?iid=228"]http://www.buddyrhodes.com/studio/imageGallery.cfm?iid=228[/url] since I actually prefer concrete to the slate anyway. Presently the surround is bare masonary brick (see pic), and it's level and plumb and fairly smooth. The hearth is bluestone slab set in mortar. What material and method could I use to get the look of concrete, preferably the smooth polished look, without spending the $$ on hiring a decorative concrete contractor (the one and only local one I called was too busy for this small a job anyway...)? Since we have a wood burning insert it would have to be fire-rated. Any advice/ideas would be helpful. There's an older thread on this very topic, but I thought I'd start my own... Many thanks :)

Re: DIY Concrete fireplace?

Posted by Melissa Wayne at October 25. 2005

OK, the image of my present fireplace didn't show up. But you get the idea :hm:

Posted by Brandon J. Gore at October 25. 2005

Hello,

There are concrete overlays that could be applied to give the look of smooth concrete, but it takes a skilled tradesperson to apply these and make them look good.

What area of the country are you in? Perhaps I can refer you to someone.

Posted by Melissa Wayne at October 26. 2005

Thanks for replying...I'm in SE Pennsylvania.

Posted by mjfree at October 26. 2005

I had my plaster contractor plaster my fireplace. He mixed in a dryvit color (for stucco), and got something that closely resembled concrete.

http://www.livemodern.com/forums/dwell/materialsmethods/700608419895?b_start:int=0#923128771001

Posted by Melissa Wayne at October 26. 2005

Wow, Freestone that looks pretty cool. I wonder if it's fire-rated - we have a wood-burning insert. Did your contractor just trowel it on? (Not to make it sound like it's that simple - I'm sure it requires specific technique...) What is beneath the plaster?

Posted by Greg Pohl at October 27. 2005

Wow, that really does look great. I had the same question, and I have to say that I think you just gave me my answer. Was it very expensive? I live in Florida, so it is pretty unlikely that I will be having a fire any time soon...but, I do have a fireplace, so it might as well look good.

Posted by mjfree at November 02. 2005

This is a direct vent fireplace, so it was framed in with studs and sheathed in 1/2 plywood. My plaster contractor then stapled up a metal grid and hand trowled on a thick coat of plaster. It took two guys around 5 hours, since they kept trowling the surface to get a smooth texture and concrete look.

Posted by Chris at November 05. 2005

I have a 1980's brick fireplace...but what's inside is actually an oversized woorburning stove that has been framed up to look exactly like it's a fireplace.
I had read somewhere that I could go over the brick with concrete parging. I'm not too sure about the fire rating, or about the process. As I understand, it is simply trowelled on and then grinded and buffed.

Last month's Metropolitan Home magazine had a picture of a bathroom vanity that had 1/8 artisan plaster as it's surface material.

Also, last month's Fine Homebuilding has a DIY concrete fireplace section in it where they fabricate concrete tiles, a la Cheng, and then hang them with adhesive and poured-in hangars.
Looks sleek and super super easy.

I guess it depends on how much you want to disassemble before putting up the concrete look.

Posted by reynalda heime at November 20. 2012

The fire system is the most important in home. The place of fire should be installed in kitchen, living room and the entrance of the house.

Disabled Adaptations