Personal tools
Sections

a modern outdoor plant

by ritter vonali last modified Oct 30, 2012 01:42 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

a modern outdoor plant

Posted by ritter vonali at January 05. 2006

i'm looking for a plant/small tree to place in a pot on my balcony. it can be somewhat low maintencace and with a modern look to it. i love the yucca plant but it's solely for indoor use. any ideas?

thanks

modliving

Re: a modern outdoor plant

Posted by Jon Briggs at January 05. 2006

mod -

A classic favorite of mine is the mother-in-law's tongue or snakeskin
plant (botanical name - Sansevieria)... VERY easy to grow!

http://www.flowers.org.uk/plants/plantfacts/motherinlawstongue.htm

Also, the papyrus is another one I like alot but needs more water
and maintenance...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus

Posted by EDouglas at January 06. 2006

Equisetum hyemale (aka Scouring Rush, Bottlebrush, Horsetail, Pewterwort) is native to most of North America and has a wonderfully modern, bamboo-like look. It loves water, but if you plant it in a container with no drain holes and water occasionally, it should do fine. I've seen it repeatedly in Dwell, the Ikea catalog, and other sources. It may be dificult to find, but a water garden center should be able to help.

Posted by Debra Booth at January 07. 2006

The new Dwell has a letter to the editor about equisetum which appears on October/November issue.

Deb

Posted by Matthew Wilson at January 08. 2006

What area of the country do you live?
A yucca is not neccessarily an indoor plant. It depends on where you live. Depending on the size of your balcony, though, it may be a little intrusive if not dangerous.

I used to be a plantscaper for many years and I would second the three recommendations above. I like the sansevieria and the equisetum but I think it looks best when you have a row of them because of their vertical and linear qualities. The papyrus might look better on it's own in a pot, but it does need a lot of water as does the equisetum, so depending on how much light they get on your balcony they may or may not need more attention than you want to give. Although, a pot without drainage might help as douglas said above. The sansevieria is hard to kill. It likes to get dry between watering, but don't over do it when it gets good light.

Posted by Renee Adelmann at January 12. 2006

You should look into doing a bunch of little succulents in a cool planter. You can put gravel that they use for fish tanks to cover the dirt area (this gravel comes in cool colors and has a sheen to it)The succulents require almost no water and you can get them at any nursery in a wide assortment. It also makes a great center piece on a table. I saw this in Sunset magazine last month and in the Room and Board showroom recently.

Attachments

Posted by Craig Brewer at January 13. 2006

I second the succulent idea. I'll even add cactus. They're low maintenance, funky, have beautifully bizarre blooms and are pretty minimal...

check out this site for a general idea:

http://www.cactuscenter.com/

Posted by James Noel at October 30. 2012

Hello..

These days so much variety is available which you can place at the balcony. The best part about the artificial plants and trees is that they required less maintenance and need not to water daily. It also looks real. You must go for it.

For the amazing home decoration click: artificial floor plants | silk plants