Personal tools
Sections

Help! Cool modern workbench with sawhorse-style legs?

by Christopher Tin last modified Mar 12, 2013 06:48 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 56 votes)

Help! Cool modern workbench with sawhorse-style legs?

Posted by Christopher Tin at January 31. 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but not new to obsessing over modern furniture. :)

I've been on a hunt to find the perfect workbench/table for my home studio, and I have a particular look in mind that I know is *out there*, but I'm having trouble tracking it down--and I was hoping I could appeal to your community for some leads?

A few years back I saw a bunch of workbenches that were very cool, that had a very simple design--essentially just a tabletop on a pair of sawhorses. I can't remember if I actually saw them in an advertising agency's office, or whether I had just seen them in a catalog somewhere, but they were very cool, modern, and industrial looking. Naturally the sawhorse legs were a lot nicer than the ones one might find at Home Depot; I seem to remember brushed steel. I can't remember whether the tabletop was glass or wood, but the whole combination was awesome; simple, industrial, sturdy, and it looked great in an office full of exposed beams and concrete floors.

I think it was a popular design a few years back, but I'm hard pressed to find it in any catalogs now. Does anyone know what this is, and how I might find one?

If not, does anybody know where I might be able to find a couple of really nice looking sawhorse legs to custom build my own?

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Help! Cool modern workbench with sawhorse-style legs?

Posted by Steve Schafer at January 31. 2005

I don't know if these are sufficiently cool, but [url href=http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2cat=1,43456,43388p=32059]Lee Valley Tools[/url] sells a couple of different kinds of folding steel sawhorses.

-Steve

Posted by Pat Donovan at February 01. 2005

This is a pair of homemade saw horses that I thought were pretty cool...pretty simple to make too...If interested I could probably find the magazine with the plans in them...check them out though...

PAT

Attachments

Posted by Splatgirl at February 01. 2005

Maybe like this

http://www.boltz.com/

See the classic office collection...

Posted by Christopher Tin at February 01. 2005

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the leads. It's looking like this is going to be harder to figure out than I thought it would be! It's a shame it's not possible to look up old back issues of the Design Within Reach catalog, because I get the feeling I'd find it in there.

Anyway, it may just turn out that I'm going to have to have something custom made if I can't find exactly what it is I'm thinking of.

Posted by ian maclean at February 02. 2005

Anyway, it may just turn out that I'm going to have to have something custom made if I can't find exactly what it is I'm thinking of.

shoot me an e-mail. i would be more than happy to build this.
-ian

ian@ianmaclean.com

Posted by nextmodernfacilities at February 03. 2005

this is my favorite - of course it is expensive for what it really is, but still my fav and would love to have one with some industrial shelving to complete the studio..

www,bulo.com

go to the carte blanche series ( a great program - read about it )

the table is Schraag by Maarten Van Severen - simple . modern, lovely - imo

best

Posted by Mike Geen at February 06. 2005
Ikea has what you're looking for; I'm sitting at one of these as I type this [url href="http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101=3=35117=-15=10121*10391"]Link[/url]

Posted by Splatgirl at February 07. 2005

Posted by Christopher Tin at February 08. 2005

These are all great tables--however, none of them were the exact one I'm looking for. I think the problem is that they would have been found in catalogs from 3-4 years ago, but probably aren't in circulation now, and thus hard to find on the internet. But nevertheless, thank you everyone for your suggestions! DWR has some nice alternatives (I rather like the steel Quovis Work Table, and the Dordoni Worktop isn't bad either).

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at February 08. 2005

I am a big proponant of having something made custom when the market fails you. I think solid walnut saw horse type leg structures with a glass top (or maybe 1/2 thick stainless steel) would look great, and I bet you could have the whole thing made for $700-$1000. I had some friends who got a solid birch dining table made with three 12 leaves for $1000. Furniture companies probably include a 50% markup on the furniture they sell, why not split the difference with a local (or not so local, right Ian) craftsman?

Posted by ian maclean at February 08. 2005

rous hit the nail on the head. furniture markup is way out of hand. i am looking into doing a line of items for a local shop and the wholesale / retail pricing has got me thinking that the shop markup will will force me to make simple items like an end table at damn near cost. but when you get into drawer units and what not the money gets good... as for a saw horse desk, $700-$1000 would get you one hell of a desk from my one man shop. (with shipping)

Posted by ian maclean at February 08. 2005

um yeah... i just looked at the Dordoni table. they want almost 2k for it and then you have the OPTION to buy 6 drawer boxes for the thing $125 a pop! that is a grand total of $2,745 oops, we better add shipping... make that 3k. wow...

Posted by Pat Donovan at February 09. 2005

Popular woodworking had plans and step by step instructions to make a desk/table almost identical to the Dordoni table/desk, in the Dec 2004 issue. Made out of Baltic birch plywood, wooden legs instead of metal, it was pretty sleak, and a pretty easy build. I think the total cost for supplies and what not was about 200 bucks, not for sure though...I'll have to look through some back issues if anyone is interested...

PAT

Attachments

Posted by ian maclean at February 09. 2005

yes, someone handed me that same issue and asked about having one built. the legs looked all wrong done in wood. i would say spend a few extra bucks and have a metal worker do something nice. i would guess about $20-$40 per leg if i had my metal guy make some. i have the issue if anyone wants me to scan it.

-ian

Posted by Allison Simmons at February 20. 2005
Funny, I googled "sawhorse metal desk" and came up with this posting. Glad to come across this website.

In my search so far I have found two appropriate desks.

A nice shiney one at Neiman Marcus, a little on the pricey side. There's obviously a huge mark-up on the Eames chair.

and believe it or not one at Hold Everything, sort of a la the IKEA style with drawers.

Hope this gives you a couple more options.