Personal tools
Sections

Natural Birch Doors with Painted Trim?

by joedc last modified Dec 01, 2008 12:08 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Natural Birch Doors with Painted Trim?

Posted by joedc at November 15. 2008

We are in the midst of a whole-house renovation and are replacing all of the interior doors.  Originally we were going to have the doors painted white, but after seeing the grain on the doors which were recently delivered, now I am having second thoughts.  While the white doors would blend in better and kind of disappear (the main spaces of the house are being painted white), perhaps the natural color might look warmer and provide some interest. FYI, all of the windows and trim will be painted white - the exterior doors are either sliders or full glass panel doors which will be painted white as well.  The floor upstairs is oak (we're leaning towards finishing it natural as well) and the floor downstairs will be polished concrete - probably gray.  Also, the kitchen cabinets and media center downstairs will be a blue-gray stained wood.

I am attaching a couple of pictures to give you a better idea of the space.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.  Thanks! 

Attachments

Re: Natural Birch Doors with Painted Trim?

Posted by joedc at November 15. 2008

Here's the other picture...

Attachments

Posted by seekastar at November 16. 2008

Looks nice.  Where are you buidling?   Who did you use for your windows and doors?  We are looking to do the same thing actually, all white interior space with natural wood trim on doors and windows to warm it up.

Posted by Maze at November 17. 2008

We faced the same decision although we don't have any trim. We chose to go with the all natural vertical grain fir for our windows and doors, instead of painting them, and think that the overall feel is much warmer. Our walls are navajo white, our casework and baseboards are bright white, and our floors are bleached bamboo. You can check out our blog to see how this came out. http://www.denver-modern.com/2008/08/index.html

Posted by joedc at November 18. 2008

Thanks seekastar and Maze for your responses.

seekastar - The house is just outside of DC and the new windows are Pella but the existing ones (by where I am standing) are Weathershield.  I would have preferred to have used aluminum frame storefront-type windows throughout the house and replace all of the existing windows, but unfortunately that wasn't in the budget. 

Maze -  Your house looks fantastic!  My doors are darker and have more grain than yours, but it was good to see them for an example of the look.

In the end, I think I am just going to paint them white - I think they'll blend in better and give the house a better flow.  

Thanks again.

Posted by Robert Swinburne at December 01. 2008
I am probably too late on this as I haven't visited this forum for a while. I would say leave the natural. You can always paint over them later. consider High gloss and color! The danger is that you end up living in a vast sea of white sheetrock. I usually specify clear finish birch hollow core doors. spend the money on good lever type doorknobs. -bob www.swinburnearchitect.com

Attachments