Personal tools
Sections

Opinions: Modern exterior upgrade

by Shane Hartley last modified Aug 09, 2009 10:21 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Opinions: Modern exterior upgrade

Posted by Shane Hartley at August 02. 2009
I've been trying to come up with a modern exterior upgrade for my home. And since the inside has all be mostly redone in a modern style, I figure the outside should match. :) So I'm attaching a before picture and a very rough image of what I worked up for a modern exterior upgrade. Currently its uses a combination of Hardie panel, galvalume and cedar siding. I'd also like to do a cool steel square awning over the front door. I'd also planned to use a standing seam metal black roof. The garage doors will just probably be spray-painted silver since new doors will probably be out of the price range. I'd love to have your opinions and ideas. thanks shane

Attachments

Re: Opinions: Modern exterior upgrade

Posted by Jonathan Oltmann at August 06. 2009
Shane, In my opinion, too many materials (or at least colors), I would limit the pallet a bit more to get a nice clean modern look. Also, think about the massing of the current structure and how to best accentuate it using different materials. It is always critical to think about how the two materials meet. Personally, I never like to have two different materials meet at the same plane. Either offset them (if they occur on the same plane) or make a materials change at a corner. Here are a few pictures of the exterior of my renovated 1950's ranch. When we bought the house it was painted a monotone pewter grey with the typical row of hedges across the front. We decided to rip out the hedges, and revise the front look fo the house. I painted the lap siding a very dark grey to break up the mass and then added the steel as accent and to define the entry to the home. Current materials: Brick, Lapboard Wood Siding, and Corten Steel. The first picture is about mid way thought the update; the second is the completed house. I think a simple materials pallet combined with nice landscaping really help set a house apart. In the finished picture the plantings have not matured, now that it has been a few years everything has grown and filled in (especially the pompus grass by the steel) and everything looks great IMHO. (BTW, if I could have afforded to go with a standing seam roof I would have, for now shingles will have to do)

Attachments

Posted by Shane Hartley at August 06. 2009
I see your point. :) My original design didnt have the green hardie siding. here's the pic: as far as materials on the same plane...the only place is where the galvalume meets the hardie board. The other areas always meet at a corner. Thanks for the tip though, its something I hadnt thought of.

Attachments

Posted by ModFruGal at August 08. 2009
Are you using the Hardie Reveal where in between panels you have visible flashing? I seriously considered Hardie but couldn't afford the Revela treatment and wasn't happy with how the seams would look otherwise...in the end we went with galvalume throughout and LOVE it. I can say you will be happy with the material and look (and probably cost!) and the cedar looks like a beautiful touch. If you want to see more photos of a house similar in architecture to yours, I posted more photos on my blog. http://modfrugal.com/category/our-projects/exterior-siding/

Attachments

Posted by Shane Hartley at August 09. 2009
Love the pics of the Galvalume on your house! thanks! Though, my wife really wants cedar as well...so.... :) I was planning on using a rainscreen installation on both the Hardie and Cedar. So the seams and reveals are part of the design :)

Posted by ModFruGal at August 09. 2009
It will be beautiful...good luck!