Personal tools
Sections

Pics of my new home - Need help on furniture =D

by David Z last modified Dec 01, 2009 08:59 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Pics of my new home - Need help on furniture =D

Posted by David Z at August 01. 2009
This is my first post on this forum, found out about you guys from a friend =D I just bought a house, have not moved in yet, and really need some help on furniture. Pretty much need to start from scratch... I know nothing about interior design and just learning right now. [Link to pictures]: https://webspace.utexas.edu/ddz62/house/home.html Pictures 3-5 is my living room and kitchen on the 2nd floor. Picture 7 is my master bedroom. Right now, my main priority is to furnish my living room/kitchen and my master bedroom. I have thought about getting a sectional for the living room area, some bar stools in front of the kitchen island, and maybe a small dining table of some sort in between the living room and kitchen. Problem with this is I don't know what color sectional to get, not sure what colors would go well with my wood floor/kitchen counters, etc. I do know that I like the blocky style sectionals they have at west elm or cb2. For my bedroom, I have thought about getting a platform bed, something like this: http://www.zgallerie.com/pc-3682-66-alto-bed.aspx Not really sure what else would look good here. I think I will need a desk, but where would be a good place to put it in the bedroom? I don't really have a set budget, but cheaper is better. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Pics of my new home - Need help on furniture =D

Posted by Peter Smith at August 03. 2009

Hi David, congrats on the house and now you have a blank canvas, which can be both stimulating and frightening. If you have looked at prior posts on this board you will have not seen much on overall interior design. So let me have a go at answering some of your more basic questions and then offer some resources with more design insight.

Previously David Z wrote:

I have thought about getting a sectional for the living room area, some bar stools in front of the kitchen island, and maybe a small dining table of some sort in between the living room and kitchen.
Problem with this is I don't know what color sectional to get, not sure what colors would go well with my wood floor/kitchen counters, etc. I do know that I like the blocky style sectionals they have at west elm or cb2.

PETER: The challenge with sectionals is they offer limited flexibility for rearrangement, both in terms of experimenting with how you want to layout your room and also if you want a change later. Also some folks realize they like a sofa arm to lean against and sectionals rarely offer that.

As to color, any color can look fine on wood floors and they should not really be an influence on that choice, nor should the kitchen counter tops. Take a good look at the in-room photos of pieces in catalogs and web sites, such as this one from CB2
http://images.cb2.com/is/image/CB2/peekabootablesmediacnslFC09?$lg$
Note how the yellow pillow and rug (both easily replaced/change out ) define the color scheme as much as the sofa color.

As to style, you have mentioned three stores -- CB2, West Elm and Z Galleria -- which go from Very Modern, to Modern with traditional twists, in terms of colors and fabrics, to Less modern for most of Z's stuff, although that bed could easily be a West Elm piece.

So I would use some other resources to getter a better handle on your preferred style. Browse magazines like Dwell (also at dwell.com) and Apartment Therapy site
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/   particularly their full house tours.
Note this site is city based so if you live in one of their cities you will also get advice on stores.

Good Luck!

Posted by richierod at August 04. 2009

I'll add that EQ3 is a good source for modern furniture. IKEA is also a good source, provided that you pick and choose carefully.

-R.

Peter, I'm still waiting for my tour! ;)

Posted by Tonia Pryor at December 01. 2009

Hello:

I'm not sure if you are still searching for furniture, but my suggestion is that you start with your local estate sales, goodwill, and salvation army first. Sometimes you can find great modern pieces. I have! Pick what feels right in your "heart". Sounds strange, but you end with things that looks like you have been collecting for years and it won't seem so "cold" and usual like pieces from CB2, Z Gallarie, etc. 

Good luck with your hunt! I'm excited for you and wish I could help you out :)

Oh and be sure to get some window coverings!