Personal tools
Sections

To re-up or to not re-up that is the question

by James Bell last modified Apr 01, 2008 08:11 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

To re-up or to not re-up that is the question

Posted by James Bell at March 12. 2008

So I have (edit...had) been a subscriber of Dwell since the first issue.  I have let the subscription pass after all that time.  I have missed the a few issues since its inception and I am having a hard time coming to a decision of whether or not to re-subscribe or not.

To me the magazine just isn't as good as it once was.  I don't care about the writers opinions of bird houses, flat screens, or the like.  I would subscribe to different magazines for that information.  I don't want political opinion.  I could use a little less pre-fab (I know, I know...its like heresy on this website) .  There is still a great deal about the magazine that I really like, so I am close to renewing the subscription.

So I am looking for your opinions on magazines that you like as well (or better) that I might consider.

edit:  I am an architect, so I know most of the design magazines, but I cant read them all, all of the time.  And if anyone says Architectural Digest...we will need your address so that we can get you therapy quick!

Re: To re-up or to not re-up that is the question

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at March 14. 2008

I still like Dwell very much, but it certainly has changed. I also like Atomic Ranch, not that it is anything like Dwell, but it feeds my interest in 50s ranch homes. I've also been impressed with Modernism, also much different than Dwell. I've advertised in all three of these at different times.

Re: To re-up or to not re-up that is the question

Posted by Tom Emerson at April 01. 2008

I'm an architect as well and find that I enjoy Residential Architect. I also like that it is free! While I share Greg's concern that Hanley Wood, the publisher of RA, is in the plan selling business and thus a competitor, I like the editorial focus. RA has a somewhat modern approach and though I wish that Dwell's focus was more on the architecture, I think that they never really intended to be an architecture magazine. Personally, I feel that these other lifestyle pieces are very important in allowing non-architects to understand how modern design makes sense across the board. Flat screens and psuedo Tuscan villas just seem to look odd together.