Personal tools
Sections

New Modern Home Development in Orange County-Fullerton

by Jen Hallstrom last modified Jun 26, 2009 06:19 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

New Modern Home Development in Orange County-Fullerton

Posted by Jen Hallstrom at August 06. 2008

Before I tell you about the new proposed modern home development in Fullerton, I want to give you some history to the area. There is a cool 50's mid century modern community in Fullerton called "The Forever House". In 1954, Eichler arranged for architects A. Quincy Jones and Frederick Emmons to appear on the NBC-TV "Today Show" segment, House that Home Built," with the offer they would create house plans for any developer that could come up with $200.  In Fullerton, Pardee-Phillips accepted the challenge and built more than 100 Eichler homes in the Fullerton Groves development. The "Forever House" model offered seven floor plans. 

The new modern home development would be across the street from the "Forever House" community with a proposal to build 34 unit town homes, these units are 2 story, 1,800 sq ft per unit (either 3bedroom + loft or 4 bedroom  and 2 baths-all units have attached covered parking for two cars and priced around $450K. The units have great modern design elements with a flat metal roof, wood/stucco siding and other great features. The area in Fullerton is South of Commonwealth/East of Euclid and close to downtown. I want to get feedback from anyone who might be interested in purchasing one of these town homes.

Thank you!

Re: New Modern Home Development in Orange County-Fullerton

Posted by Ryan Sasser at September 26. 2008

I am interested in the project, but have several questions. What additional information can you provide? Who is the builder?  HOA dues? What are some of their past projects? Are these really modern designs? I have to ask because all builders have abused the terms loft and modern over the last 5 years. I am very familiar with Orange County real estate. I look forward to hearing more about this. Thank you.

Posted by Jen Hallstrom at March 26. 2009

The proposed affordable living project in Fullerton has gone through various delays and architectural changes and is still very much in the planning stages. Silver Architects has submitted very impressive designs  elevations for 34 units with modernist characteristics. The units are 2 story town homes, approximately 1,800 S.F. per unit (either 3 bedroom + loft or 4 bedroom and 2 baths). All units have attached covered parking for two cars. The units would be sold to buyers with moderate income (80%-100% average income of Orange County). At this point, the developer doesn't know who the target buyer will be, as all past major community construction has been the traditional cookie–cutter homes typical throughout the county. Pricing has not been set, but it will be determined by average income of buyers. I think there is a huge percentage of people who would jump at the chance of owning a contemporary / minimalist dwelling such as these. Even in the proposed area, which is currently blighted with low income rentals. The long-term plan is to eventually replace all the existing rundown apartment buildings with sustainable contemporary housing.  As I mentioned, the project is nearby the site of the Jones and Emmons Forever House community that I have been trying to resurrect through buzz and awareness. I did the initial ground work several years back to determine that the homes were, in fact, designed by famed architectural team A. Quincy Jones and Fredrick E. Jones. Yes, the same team responsible for designing the various Echler communities in Orange, San Thousand Oaks, Granada Hills, San Jose, etc.
Those interested in seeing more significant and quality architecture in this community should send your thoughts to Fullerton City officials

Posted by Jen Hallstrom at March 26. 2009

Forever Fullerton: Julius Shulman

Opening Reception: Saturday, April 4
6:00 p.m-9:00 p.m
$12 general admission
FREE for museum members
Exhibit will be open to the public starting Sunday, April 5-July 19

The opening reception will include 50s themed dinner, live entertainment, curators talk and more.

Julius Shulman is one of the best known architectural photographers in the world. In the 1950s and 1960s, he did extensive work in Fullerton documenting houses and other buildings in town. The images in this exhibition come from his massive portfolio, now housed at the Getty Research Library, and will include scenes from mid-century interiors and exteriors.

City of Fullerton Museum, 301 N. Pomona Ave., Fullerton, CA 92832. (714) 738-6545

Attachments

Posted by Jen Hallstrom at April 02. 2009

Previously Jen Hallstrom wrote:

Julius Shulman will be making a public appearance at the museum May 9 @ 2pm. He just turned 98 so it's pretty cool he can make it out.

Forever Fullerton: Julius Shulman Exhibit

Noticed they've already included various modern items such as Eichler books, starburst lamp and other mid century gifts in museum gift shop

Attachments

met up with richard smith, fullerton museum curator and walked through he museum to see how the new Shulman galley exhibit is coming today.

Attachments

met up with richard smith, fullerton museum curator and walked through he museum to see how the new Shulman galley exhibit is coming today.

Attachments

Posted by Sarah Locke at June 16. 2009

I loved this exhibit and visited the Forever neighborhood.  It is a shame that most, if not all, of the people in that community have no idea that they are living in architectural gems.  I would love to see the neighborhood revived, and a new townhome development could certainly help.  Please, keep me updated.  I'm not sure my husband and I would be interested in a townhome, but we are keeping our eye on the neighborhood and could potentially move into one of the Forever homes.

Posted by Joe Cool at June 25. 2009

Jen....Can you provide the exact cross streets of this neighborhood.  I'm very interested in taking a drive over to see these homes.  Any new news on the development of the townhomes?

Posted by Jen Hallstrom at June 26. 2009

Previously jose.juan.perez wrote:

Jen....Can you provide the exact cross streets of this neighborhood.  I'm very interested in taking a drive over to see these homes.  Any new news on the development of the townhomes?

Hi Jose,

The cross streets for the Forever House community are South of Valencia Dr. and East of Euclid St. Thomas Guide 768F1. In regards to the townhomes, no new news. Thanks for inquiring and enjoy your drive through the community. Please call me with any questions or if you are interested in viewing any of the properties for sale.