Personal tools
Sections

Anymore KY?

by Jermaine Greene last modified May 09, 2011 07:59 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Anymore KY?

Posted by Jermaine Greene at April 24. 2006

I just KNOW there can't be JUST two of us??? I know, because I've seen the houses around the state. And for each house, there has to be a hundred people who admire from afar. Perhaps some of you have found your way in? If it would please you, just pop on and say Hi!.

Re: Anymore KY?

Posted by Temple Stites at April 26. 2006

Hi.
I'm not big on posting, but wanted to let you know you are not alone. Just found this forum the other day. I am acutely interested in the propects for modern architecture in KY. Louisville in particular. Museum Plaza is an amazing start/development.
Keep up the good work.
-K

Posted by Jermaine Greene at May 03. 2006

GREAT! Nice to hear from you. Please, drop in every now and then with a find/source.

Posted by greg petto at May 04. 2006

Ok, ok, I am here, too. Finally signed up so I could post. Love modern design, and love Louisville, but it is very difficult to indulge my modern tastes here. Hope things are starting to change.

ackvig, didn't you buy a house? how's that going? Pics?

GP

Posted by Jermaine Greene at May 04. 2006

WELCOME! Wow. You ARE paying attention. Ha! The house is going great, just a bunch of hurry-up-and-wait. We close on the sale of my present house at the end of this month, then on the MCM in Frankfort immediately there after. HOWEVER, we contractually agreed to give the current owners 30 days after that to move out, so when all is said and done, we won't be in the house until July 1st. For that 30 days of homelessness, the wife and I will get to know my dear ole mom in Shelbyville all over again:) BTW, pics of my soon-to-be house are the pink, (first thing to go is that color!), house in the other threads in this KY forum. I captioned it as such. Let me know what you think, good or bad.

Re: One Step Closer to MCM

Posted by Jermaine Greene at May 22. 2006

Well, things are moving ahead of schedule in what FEELS like, the worlds longest move. We closed on the sale of house Friday, and we are officially out, staying in an extend stay hotel. Hopefully, we close on the new place this week. In addition to that, develpoements on our sellers end of things may cut this 30-day-after-close-stay down to two, maybe even ONE week. Yes! Stay tuned.

Posted by Krista Atkins Nutter at May 22. 2006

Hi there, just wanted to stop in and say hi to all of the KY modernists before I become an Ohioan. We currently live in NKY but are building a modern home in Cincinnati. We used to live near Lex. and I remember as a design student going on a tour of a very modern glass house on a horse farm there. There was an all glass bath with a sunken tub - I remember what seemed like miles of curving blacktop drive leading up to this white and glass house. The architect, I can never remember his name, but I think it was a hyphenated last name??? Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about??? There were really cool large, smooth, black stones in the landscape beds near the entrance.

Then there's also a new house built by a Dr. Brown near Clay's Ferry Bridge. The doctor lived in a passive solar home in Estill County for years, and it is now currently on the market. He's built a new passive solar modern near Clay's Ferry with a river view. I think I found it in a book, but haven't seen the real thing. Anyone seen it? Pictures?

Posted by Jermaine Greene at May 24. 2006

Wow, I haven't seen or heard of these houses, but they sound like quite the spread. Good info. BTW, Ohio's cool, too! Please, post pics and/or renderings of your modern here!

Posted by Ryan Atwood at June 15. 2007
I live in Somerset, KY... 75 miles south of Lexington. I built a traditional house here 5 years ago and have since fallen in love with all things modern. My wife and I have begun to incorporate modern interior design and we are contemplating an exterior remodel or a new build. Any advice?

Posted by Jermaine Greene at July 14. 2007

Previously Ryan Atwood wrote:

I live in Somerset, KY... 75 miles south of Lexington. I built a traditional house here 5 years ago and have since fallen in love with all things modern. My wife and I have begun to incorporate modern interior design and we are contemplating an exterior remodel or a new build. Any advice?

http://lustron.org/film.htm

Advice? Buy old! Mid-century modern, to be exact.  Fine examples are tucked everywhere in KY, far in the country and in the city. WAAY out on a country lane in Ghent, KY, I just found an abandoned Lustron! http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/12270.shtml

But you'll also find fine exaples such as the picture below. This is in New Castle,KY. It is a California Ranch.  If you do build, consult an architect and build such as in the 3rd pic, which is in Shelbyville, KY.

Good luck. 

Attachments

Re: One Step Closer to MCM

Posted by Kate peters at May 09. 2011

Previously Jermaine Greene wrote:

Well, things are moving ahead of schedule in what FEELS like, the worlds longest move. We closed on the sale of house Friday, and we are officially out, staying in an extend stay hotel. Hopefully, we close on the new place this week. In addition to that, develpoements on our sellers end of things may cut this 30-day-after-close-stay down to two, maybe even ONE week. Yes! Stay tuned.

Moving is a very stressful and expensive experience, and if you don't take precautions it can
quickly turn into a nightmare.Moving is a very stressful and expensive experience, and if you don't take precautions it can quickly turn into a nightmare.