Personal tools
Sections

Green Brewery Project - looking for local resources

by Maia Ming Fong last modified Dec 14, 2005 01:04 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Green Brewery Project - looking for local resources

Posted by Maia Ming Fong at December 06. 2005

I'm living upstate in Cooperstown, NY. My husband runs a local brewery, Brewery Ommegang, that makes Belgian style ales. We're starting an expansion project that would significantly increase our space and capacity. We would like to make this project Green and are looking for local resources and architects. Would you be able to recommend any?

While the architectural style of Brewery Ommegang's current building is that
of a traditional Belgian farmhouse, we'd like the expansion to be modern and
to create an innovative blend between the old and new elements. You can view
our current building at www.ommegang.com.

Thanks

Re: Green Brewery Project - looking for local resources

Posted by Mark Meyer at December 07. 2005

Maia,

I applaude you guys for desiring to do a modern addition to that gorgeous building you have. The existing building definitely deserves some deference in style from any additions or neighbors, and I think a modern style green addition would be just the ticket to play up the beautiful traditional detailing fo the existing building.

What sort of expansion are you talking about program wise? The size of the spaces you need will be detemining factors for what sort of green building systems you end up building with.

Regards,
Mark Meyer (sadly in Austin,Tx rather than NY)

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at December 07. 2005

A couple of things come to mind.

There is an architect who has been active here on and off who works out of Allentown/Bethlehem PA who formerly worked out of NYC, so I believe he has a NY license. His web site is www.nextmodernfacilities.com He does great stuff and I'll bet he can help you.

Another thought is to call an architecture school in the region - I went to Rensselaer in Troy. Not right there but not too far. You can call their office and ask if there are any graduates in the region working with a green focus. Ithaca/Cornell, Rochester/RTI, Syracuse are some other options.

Like Mark, I'd love to help you. I don't maintain an license in NY. I could apply for it, or work with a friend in NY. But you have to do what is best for you.

Building a complementary modern structure adjacent to a nice traditional structure is a wonderful design problem. You need to seek a balance, the new structure can not be louder than the existing, it should defer yet stand on its own.

Posted by Maia Ming Fong at December 07. 2005

Hi Mark,
We are projecting approximately 35,000 sq. ft. for the addition. This would accomodate warehouse, docking, office, restaurant, store, packaging, bottling, kegging, cellaring, and utility space.
Thanks for your input.
:)
Maia

Posted by nextmodernfacilities at December 13. 2005

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the kind words about my work, sadly my previous life in corporate architecture afforded me the license to do that work, as for now I'm just a designer until I finish the exams.

I think that william massie moved his practice to troy to teach at RIT, check out www.massiearchitecture.com for his contact information. Certainly an interesting thinker and
builder.

If I think of anyone else I'll let you know. BTW - modern / green / belgian brewerey ....I had to pinch myself to see if I was awake, what a project! Have fun and build great things!

bill

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at December 13. 2005

Aw nuts. Well knock those sections out already!

William Massie is teaching at RPI Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RIT is Rochester Institute of Technology - only engineers can keep these two straight) I don't know - I love his work but it tends to be ground breaking. You have to be prepared to try something thats thinking outside of the box.

Posted by nextmodernfacilities at December 14. 2005

I had the same hesitations as greg, let me think some more on it and give you some sources.

Posted by nextmodernfacilities at December 14. 2005

hi maia,

I was thinking a bit more about your project and I remembered Joe Biondo, he's a young
architect that did a couple of amazingly simple modern houses in the late 1990's. Recently he finished a renovation of an arts building at Lafayette college in Easton, PA. It's a really spectacular project mixing old and new (modern and found). He can be contacted at JBiondoatSpillmanFarmer.com , the spillman website does not have his work on it except for the lafayette building, contact him if you're interested, I think it could be a great match of project and talent. I'm going to try and get him to post some house and other project images, if I can.

best,
bill