Sections

Gulf Coast Insurance, SIP news

by Jerry L. Hajek last modified May 19, 2006 11:11 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Gulf Coast Insurance, SIP news

Posted by Jerry L. Hajek at May 19. 2006

Two items of interest:

Todays' Houston Chronicle (5/19/06), front page, above the fold: Insurance for winds no longer a breeze.
Allstate joins other insurance companies in dropping wind damage coverage for coastal counties, and will move existing customers into the Texas Windstorm Insurance Assoc. pool. Speculation has already begun as to the TWIA pools' 'drying up'.
Considering that the vast majority of homes will not withstand high winds, yet another thing to keep one awake at night, watching the Weather Channel.

On a more positive note, I recently received an email from Emmedue @ http://www.mdue.it/home_eng.htm , a worldwide manufacturer of Structural Insulated Panels that use gunite or shotcrete over a foam and steel grid armature. If you're a fan of this type of building method as I am, you know that this system can withstand not only high winds, but is apparently impervious to anything our climate can subject a building to. That, and high R-values, DIY support, and it can be detailed to look like any style of housing, be it mod, or neo-whatever....
They're building a manufacturing facility in the New Orleans area, and plan to be up and running in June '06.
Check out their website. For additional information on shotcrete SIPs, visit Hadrian Tridi Systems @ http://www.tridipanel.com/index.php , where you can see ex-pres. J. Carter with a panel in hand. Drill down into the site, and you can see under Disaster-Proof Homes how this system has survived a direct hit from hurricane Andrew with minimal damage....
Hadrian has a sales rep. in the D/FW area. No, I'm not a sales rep. for either concern. But I DO know what I'll be building a home with, and how....