Personal tools

Exterior pendant lighting?

by Kara Weber last modified Jan 08, 2011 12:06 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Exterior pendant lighting?

Posted by Kara Weber at June 28. 2005

I need an exterior-use pendant for the front of my house. The pendant will hang from the second story down to the first in a protected, but nonetheless outdoor, alcove (though cord/rod length isn't an issue, b/c I can always have that customized). I've been looking and looking but nothing that works with my California modernist house (think neutra). Most of my interior pendants (which are very visible from the outside b/c of lots of glass) are Le Klints, so I need something that will work with that. Everything I've seen is awful, cheesy, more contemporary than modern. I've thought of just using a Nelson bubble, even though they're not exterior use, and just knowing I'll have to replace it in a few years, but I'm wondering if there isn't soemthing already on the market I could consider.

Any help much appreciated!

Re: Exterior pendant lighting?

Posted by Adam Burke at June 29. 2005

Hmmm I'm looking for the same thing... a decent looking exterior pendant that isn't cheesy or a utility light.

Posted by Sara R. Sage at June 29. 2005

Hmm... That's a hard bill to fill. There is very little selection for modern exterior pendants. I've been looking at lighting fixtures a lot lately and I have had my own dilemmas so I sympathize.

[url href=]Justice Design Group[/url] makes some decent ceiling lamps, but they are flush mounted. This [url href=]pendant lamp[/url] is approved for damp locations, and I am assuming that a pendant lamp is in a sheltered location. It may not be the right look for your home though.

Another [url href=]flushmounted[/url] lamp by Artemide, but you're still looking for a suspended lamp...

Since you mentioned using a Nelson Bubble you can always find a basic suspension lamp rated for outdoor use and use a nice looking shade over it. [url href=]Innermost[/url] sells shades individually and some of them would be more appropriate for outdoor use than a Nelson lamp.

I don't think I've been very helpful but I thought that I would offer something... for what it's worth.

Posted by Kara Weber at June 30. 2005

Sara - that's really helpful - thanks for the ideas. That JDG pendant is great looking - not what we want for this location but really a nice alternative to the obvious choices (Le Klint, Nelson, Akari, etc). Wish I had seen it sooner! Please keep the good ideas coming...

Modernica, FYI, is slated to introduce a new exterior-suitable pendant at the beginning of next year. Apparently it will be featured at the Pasadena Museum of California Art's CA design show this summer, but won't be in production for a while. Wouldn't work for us, anyhow - I grilled them about it, and while I won't do justice to describing it, I do know it will be heavy, which won't work for us. So still searching...

Posted by Aris Yap at August 07. 2010

If you need any pendant light, this site could help you. It is a comparison shopping site, so you can browse products  from several online stores.

Posted by Dennise Raj at October 11. 2010

The most effective and beautiful light arrangements on the market today are the many types of pendant light fixtures that will give your home more value and beauty.

check this out: pendant lighting

Posted by Lorraine Edwards at October 20. 2010

Wow I get a lot of benefits from this thread, We have a recessed light on our porch and I would like to convert it to a pendant or exterior fixture, those links are really helpful thanks guys.

Commercial Laundry

Posted by kimbershoe maker at January 08. 2011

Good and in depth article but full of useful information