Personal tools
Sections

Fireplace mantels

by Kim Leidich last modified Jun 29, 2011 04:00 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Fireplace mantels

Posted by Kim Leidich at March 11. 2006

Does anyone have any resource suggestions for modern design fireplace mantels? We have a fireplace without a mantel and are looking for an alternative to traditional mantels. Thanks!

Re: Fireplace mantels

Posted by Melissa Wayne at March 12. 2006

We are in the midst of choosing a mantle for our surround - honestly I have just been Googling for ideas. We're going to have it made by a local woodworker, so I can't offer you a specific online resource, but using Google Images is great for getting design inspiration.

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at March 13. 2006

My favorite surround has got to be anything made out of Cor-ten steel. But how about a sheet of steel (maybe 1/4 plate). Say the fireplace opening is 2' tall and 3' wide. then get a 6'x6' sheet of steel and have someone cut a 2'x3' hole in it. then have the sheet folded 1' from the top and bottom. attach it to the wall, and, presto, the same sheet of steel is the hearth, the mantel and the surround! Or, just us a 2x6x4' steel tube bolted to the wall as the mantle. Or maybe some brackets from mockett with any type of stone, or resin or paperstone or how about white corian?

Posted by Brandon J. Gore at March 16. 2006

Or concrete? :zz: ;)

Posted by Ramsey Matarieh at November 21. 2007

Previously Kim Leidich wrote:

Does anyone have any resource suggestions for modern design fireplace mantels? We have a fireplace without a mantel and are looking for an alternative to traditional mantels. Thanks!

See http://www.solusdecor.com/ 

Posted by Dianakate at March 25. 2008

Well I am biased but check us out at www.rcfurniture.net and see our mantel gallery if you want something unique and very different from what is out there!

Attachments

Posted by Dianakate at March 25. 2008

Well I am biased but check us out at www.rcfurniture.net and see our mantel gallery if you want something unique and very different from what is out there!

Attachments

Posted by annie solar at February 08. 2011

Hi there,

My husband has written a blog on Fireplace Mantel Personal Planning Considerations which is worth checking out.

http://fireplacescoop.com/fireplace-mantel-personal-planning-considerations

Hope you find something of interest.

Posted by Daniel Homes at March 15. 2011

Traditional designs are sturdier looking, and they tend to be made from strong materials like oak. Such materials give the fireplace mantels an authentic feel. The designs are kept simple and reserved deliberately. Check out the Design the Space for selections of fireplace mantels.

Get a discount and find traditional to modern furniture styles for every room at furniture stores in Los Angeles.

Posted by Michael Liberman at June 17. 2011

Previously Daniel Homes wrote:

Traditional designs are sturdier looking, and they tend to be made from strong materials like oak. Such materials give the fireplace mantels an authentic feel. The designs are kept simple and reserved deliberately. Check out the Design the Space for selections of fireplace mantels.

Get a discount and find traditional to modern furniture styles for every room at furniture stores in Los Angeles.

This is very interesting advice. I was thinking of making my fireplace out of non-traditional materials like styro-foam and phone books, but your insightful post has caused me to completely change my mind.

Posted by Daniel Homes at June 29. 2011

When you select and want to buy a permanent fireplace mantels, then you should be calculated in advance about the pattern, color or size of the model is whether it is appropriate to the space in your home or not. You should not choose the ethnic model of your home while the model of a modern style, and vice versa.

Get a discount and find traditional to modern furniture styles for every room at cheap furniture stores in Los Angeles.