Personal tools
Sections

Modern gas fireplace source

by Thomas Anderson last modified Feb 02, 2006 12:42 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Modern gas fireplace source

Posted by Thomas Anderson at April 16. 2005

Here is a great modern alternative to a gas log, imagine just a flame coming through crushed glass. I want to try it sometime. http://www.fireonice.com/

Re: Modern gas fireplace source, 100 different colors

Posted by david northrop at January 11. 2006

Make Your Fireplace a Decor Center Piece

Bring a unique sense of elegance into your home.

Make Your Fireplace a Decor Center Piece with fire glass. At Arrowice.com, we provide fire glass that flames shoot thru from a bed of exquisite glass crystals showcased with your home decor fireplace. We offer more than 100 different colors, shapes and sizes of fire glass.

I want to try it Sometime. http://www.arrowice.com

Re: Modern gas fireplace source

Posted by psmodern at January 11. 2006

The ice looks nice, but no way would I ever have an open fireplace in my home. My last house had one, and the house inspector (a person I've used for years who has extensive experience) recommended we never turn it on. He was surprised it had even passed code.

What we really need is some cool designs for enclosed direct vent fireplaces. The predominant style I see is black and brass. Finding one with a modernist flair was impossible last time I looked.

Posted by Jeff Kalm at January 13. 2006

I like the look of this fire.
www.ecosmartfire.com

Posted by Jeff Jasper at January 15. 2006

We have an existing fireplace that by code we have to put a glass screen on. Anyone know of any reasonable priced glass front for a wood burning fireplace?

Posted by Thomas Anderson at January 15. 2006

Here is another cool fireplace...

www.europeanhome.com

Posted by john parnell at January 15. 2006

these are nice:

www.sparkfires.com

Posted by Renee Adelmann at January 17. 2006

There are some cool closed in fireplaces at this site: www.evolutiontradegroup.com make sure you click on Max Blank products.

Posted by Joe Fultano at January 20. 2006

I would check out:
http://www.raiswittus.com/
http://www.heatnglo.com

those are two to get you started, i've been looking into fireplaces heavily recently as my house has radiant electric heat and i want to add a fireplace as a supplement source but have yet to find anything affordable.

Posted by psmodern at January 27. 2006

Wow! Heatnglo finally does modern gas fireplaces - I guess they saw the light.

That sparkfire is damn nice, although I wouldn't buy the ventless model. Indoor fires burning up the air in the room went out with the advent of electric light last time I checked :laugh:

Posted by Hayden at January 28. 2006

Posted by psmodern at January 28. 2006

The Ecosmartfire looks great, but it's fuelled by methylated spirits that you have to manually refill, and you need to store same somewhere around your house. Not exactly my idea of convenient. Also it's an open flame with no glass, which is a non-starter for me.

I note it is an Australian designed product, a country which isn't known for harsh winters. It rarely even snows in most cities. They don't list BTU's on their site, but I can't imagine the Ecosmartfire putting out a lot of heat.

Posted by Matthew Wilson at January 28. 2006

I'm diggin' the ecosmart fire. They do have glass fire screens now. I guess storing the meth. spirits isn't as convenient as flipping a gas switch, but personally I haven't seen anything that comes close to the look.

In Denver there is a store that now carries thier products and the guy said they had a working burner kit in the back and that it put our quite a bit of heat when sitting around it. It may not heat a whole house but you don't loose the heat either. I guess it depends on what you are using it for...heating the house, or some heat and ambiance.

Posted by Joe Fultano at January 29. 2006

the Ecosmart puts out 9000 BTW IIRC, i like the product but over 2G's for a little metal box is some change, i know i could make something just as cool using those little cans of meth-spirits.

Posted by psmodern at February 02. 2006

9k BTU's vs 30-40k for a direct vent gas system? I'm all about aesthetics but the low heat output plus the need to manually refill the Ecosmart with a highly flammable substance seem like major drawbacks.

Like all open flame systems the Ecosmart must draw oxygen from the room. I'm about to spend $4000 to isolate my gas HVAC and hot water from the interior of my house, bringing in ducted outside air to the boiler room and sealing it off just for the purpose of improving indoor air quality. Putting in an open flame heating system runs totally contrary to that!