Personal tools
Sections

Looking for modern, affordable window treatments

by Qiana Mickie last modified Jan 14, 2013 03:52 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 29 votes)

Looking for modern, affordable window treatments

Posted by Qiana Mickie at November 30. 2005

I recently moved into a new building in Harlem with great oversized windows, including a corner window. I am figuring because of their size, that I will have to get custom treatments. However, I do not want to get big 'ol drapes or generic blinds and I simply can't afford to spend alot. It would be nice to have something that will provide coverage so I do not have to give a nightly nudie show for the building across the street, but not block out the light all together. My first thought was to use tension rods so I would not have to drill into the walls or use short standing screens because I have wide windowsills. As anyone can see, I am at a lost. Any ideas or thoughts?

Also, I am beginning my search for a sectional, modern, affordable couch.

Thanks,

Q

Re: Looking for modern, affordable window treatments

Posted by Dace Krasts at December 01. 2005

We have many windows in our newly remodeled home and found a great idea in a previous Dwell issue. Supplex fabric curtains on hospital runners. A simple and affordable design.

The fabric is inexpensive, wider than many other fabrics, fade resistant, and available in many colors and weights. We bought our fabric locally, www.seattlefabrics.com. Grommets are plugged into the panels for the hooks. Very simple. They look more like panels than full, flowing curtains.

The hospital runners are just as varied. We put our runners inside the window rather than on the ceiling, as was shown in the magazine. Ours came from www.curtainfair.com and were very DIY.

Posted by Qiana Mickie at December 02. 2005

It's funny you mentioned that tip, because I just re-read that article! I am going to look into it. Thanks.

Posted by jakob clark at December 02. 2005

I need window treatments as well for privacy issues. The suggestion above will work for the sliding glass doors in the back, but the front needs soemthing else.

The windows up front are not as large. I would like those spring loaded roller treaments. Therefore when they are rolled up they are virtually gone. I have looked at Home Depot and Lowes. I am wondering if there is a very affordable option that someone has used. Also - can you order just the parts from somewhere for cheap and easliy use a fabric of your choice?

Ultimately I will probably use white so it is seemless with the white walls and will be even more invisible when rolled up. I need to use a fabric translucent enough to let sun in, but one that also provides the privacy needed.

Posted by flyleft at December 03. 2005

What issue of Dwell was that? I'd like to see that. We're planning on using hospital track for our master bath shower curtain, rather than glass.

Posted by Julie Brown at December 04. 2005

I bought a couple of solar shades from [url href=http://www.justblinds.com/products/blindsprod.cfm]Just Blinds[/url].

Posted by Karen Pittman at December 05. 2005

Whitespike,

I don't know if it's affordable enough, but look at the Hunter Douglas Remembrance roller shades from www.yourblinds.com. I got them in a plain white after trying out the home depot crap (made of plastic -- they sag and rumple). I've ordered three times from this company and they have been prompt and correct all times, as well as being significantly cheaper than retail.

Good luck,
-KP

Posted by Julie Brown at December 05. 2005

I know that they are regarded with a certain amount of scorn in modernist circles, but honeycomb blinds provide an impressive amount of insulation for walls of glass, create a pleasantly filtered light or completely obscure light, and fold up neatly out of the way when not in use.

Posted by jakob clark at December 05. 2005

Thanks for the tip KP, I will check those out. Thanks for he warning on the Home Depot blinds, that's where I was headed. How do they compare with Home Depot's blinds price-wise?

JXBrown - What are honeycomb blinds?

Posted by jakob clark at December 05. 2005

Damn - sorry for the repeat.

Another affordable option I thought of would be covering it in peanut butter and having my cat eat it off when I want to let the sun in.

Posted by Julie Brown at December 05. 2005

Sorry, cellular shades.

Is peanut butter on the roof of a cat's mouth as funny as peanut butter on a dog?

Posted by jakob clark at December 06. 2005

absolutely!

Any links to your fav cellular shades?

Posted by Dana Killion at December 07. 2005

I'm a fan of the soft roman shades by Smith Noble. Did them in white canvas, inside mount on many windows. They have great service and the product quality is decent. Sometimes have to have imagination to see Modern but it's there if you're creative.

http://www.smithandnoble.com/sn/product_detail.jsp?pageProdCat=-14055ProductOID=101534

Posted by Douglas Lopez at February 21. 2008
I am a big fan of http://www.1stblinds.com/ . They have all the mini blinds, wood blinds, cellular shades and window treatments at great prices.

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at February 25. 2008

Someone asked about the Dwell issue with the Suplex and hospital track. It is the April/May 2005 issue (Flatpak house on the cover).

Posted by alicia yap at August 07. 2012

Installing curtains and window grilles can act as a window treatment.

I done my house wrought iron window grilles from
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Singapore-Window-Grilles-1-Window-Grill-Gates-Company-in-Singapore/258491547584990

They do provide free onsite quotation for customer.

Posted by john at January 14. 2013

If you are looking for modern window treatment then blinds are the best option for you. I was contact http://www.energywf.com.au/canberra/blinds for blinds installation in our home and they guys done a great job.