Personal tools
Sections

Ikea sucks...how about their cabinets?

by Chris last modified Jul 24, 2013 10:12 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 159 votes)

Re: Ikea sucks...how about their cabinets?

Posted by Jermaine Greene at January 21. 2006

I stand by Ikea for certain items. The have ranges and you get the quality you pay for. I just stay with thier top quality stuff, and save a little money. Here is our Ikea Hopen wardrobe and Komfors sofas. (Disclaimer:Yes, I know I need to aligned the door on the wardrobe. We are still doing work in this room, so forgive the mess. These pics are NOT from a Dwell photo shoot.):laugh:

Attachments

more

Attachments

another

Attachments

Last.

Attachments

I sure hope you guys can see my pics, cause i can only see ONE of four... Oh, NOW I see them.

Posted by LiveModern Webmaster at January 21. 2006

Check out the article in the December 2005 issue of Domino magazine (these three kitchens share a secret...they all have Ikea cabinets! pp/111-117). The three kitchens featured are all modern in flavor (the first and third are both current modern and the second is more mid-century style), with good ideas on cabinet faces and hardware as well as accessorizing. The projects range from about $5,600 to $27,000. So it runs the gamut. The homeowners from the second project said their research found that more expensive cabinets contained the same structural elements, just with higher quality doors. The article is worth catching up with. I actually recommend Domino in general, it's great for interior design ideas and they show prices and sources for items featured because it's a shopping magazine.

Jonii

PS ackvig: I think your living room looks great. Nice job!

Posted by mike zelenko at January 21. 2006

IKEA kitchen cabinets are GREAT for the $$$. The hardware is the same as all the top European high end lines. I would get a good trim carpenter with a small shop to :
1. Rabbett the backs of the upper cabinets to receive 1/2 melamine.
2. glue everything when assembling.
3. have door and drawer fronts custom made by cabinet shop. The casework on IKEA cabinets are really close to other lines 5x as much.
I had a shop make all my drawer and doors w/ 3/4 Finnish/Baltic birch ply w/ front side only laminated in high gloss white, leaving the ends and backs exposed and finished w/ satin laquer. It did not cost much.
IKEA kitchen cabinets are the best value in a store that sells most of their product under $20.
mazi

Posted by Zelda Lime at April 03. 2012

I think it's worth it to wait a while, because i heard that soon even the high-quality brands will start producing low budget furniture.

It's a new trend which can mean that good products will start being affordable, i'm not saying "no" to Ikea but we're talking about our homes...i believe that in some months there are going to be many changes in the furniture market.

Posted by Mickey Gobes at September 18. 2012

Lowennas pine furniture are the top furniture builders. They will provide you gorgeous furniture that too at factory prices.

lowennaspinefurniture.co.uk

Posted by Lora Witfield at October 05. 2012
Previously Chris wrote:

I really hate Ikea's quality, and although I love some of their designs, I won't buy a single piece of furniture from them.
That being said, has anyone got any input about their kitchen cabinets? Buying an alternate, higher quality original design will eat up my total reno budget.
Is it worth breaking my Ikea celibacy for their kitchen cabinets, or will they suffer the same fate as every other item I purchased from them during University?

Posted by Annete Wheeler at November 16. 2012
Previously Miriam Huthinson wrote:

My parents just redid their kitchen and so far, have been really satisfied with the outcome. All the kitchen cabinets as well as the counter, wall fixtures and shelves were from Ikea. They live in Albuquerque, New Mexico and made a special trip to the Ikea in Tempe just to get them. The kitchen has been finished since January and is holding up just perfect, no complaints. The problems arose during the design process. For example, there are two sizes of sink cabinets in Ikea's line and my parents opted for the smaller of the two due to space constraints, only to find out that non-standard size sinks would be the only thing to fit in it. The sink had to be special ordered and it was pricey! If you do decide to go with Ikea, make sure you work out kinks such as this first. That said, the quality has been great.

Wow. You know what, I do love looking different designs of kitchen cabinets because they are good in my eyes. I love them specially when they good in kitchen :) Thank you so much for posting :)

[URL="http://www.kitchencabinetrylouisville.com/"]kitchen cabinets design[/URL]

Posted by Benson Harry at February 20. 2013

To add meaning to your garden or patio, you will need some beautiful items including garden or outdoor furniture. If you want garden or outdoor living room beautiful, you need to place outdoor sofa.

Choosing the right type of outdoor furniture and accessories could beautify your garden and intensify the already elegant design of any outdoor decoration.

A wicker outdoor sofa set is one of the most comfortable sofa sets that are not only cheap, but also very elegant. Most wicker sofa sets would last for a very long time, but you need to take good care and maintain it well. Cleaning and washing of the wicker patio furniture is a must and it needs to be done at regular intervals of time. As the wicker outdoor furniture is in the outdoors, you can expect dust and stains on it at the end of a day.

For all reason, make sure you find outdoor sofa for all weather. This sofa you can find it at http://eahoo.blogspot.com/2013/02/outdoor-sofa.html

Posted by Cathy Dawkins at July 24. 2013

i think there are so many higher quality furniture brands out there. Check out Walter E. Smithe!