Personal tools
Sections

Modern closet systems

by psmodern last modified Oct 01, 2013 05:56 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 16 votes)

Modern closet systems

Posted by psmodern at November 29. 2005

I'm interested in ideas for closet systems for a modern house. Unfortunately most closet systems I have seen lack any modern style whatsoever.

For a large walk-in master bedroom closet I love the look of Poliform. But I refuse to pay crazy European prices ($20k+) and wait 12 weeks for delivery of what is essentially a glorified prefab system. I believe we could get a custom design built locally by a cabinet maker in a similar style for about $10k and with better quality.

We also have a 110 inch wide reach-in closet in an office that needs fixtures. California Closets quoted $3000 for a white melamine job that was sort of ugly and didn't really suit. The IKEA Pax system looks interesting and I could live with it since it would be behind closed doors most of the time. Unfortunately it only comes in two widths and wouldn't fit well, not to mention they don't offer anything like file drawers essential for an office.

Can anyone recommend alternatives? There must be some cool product out there I am overlooking!

Re: Modern closet systems

Posted by kayne bancroft at November 29. 2005

one of the reasons the euro closets look so cool is that they are free standing and are essentially a piece of furniture for the room. where as here in the US most closets are small rooms framed in as part of the house and therefore the cal closet thing seems to work better. so I would say in your master even though it's already a closet do you want all your clothes behind doors? if so then I would go the IKEA or custom route. if you don't mind having your clothes exposed then go with the cal closet route(I am in the closet business and would reccommend getting bids from other non franchise closet companies, I always beat cal closets prices and our quality is better) for the reach in, if it has doors alrady I don't see a need for the freestanding style so on that one I would go the melamine route.

Posted by psmodern at November 29. 2005

Thanks for the pointers. Yes, it seems Cal Closets trade on their name a lot.

Our master closet is actually a large standalone area separate from the bedroom, so I don't mind having clothes exposed. Of course it always looks cooler in the Poliform ads where they have like 5 identically colored suits.

I love the look of the Vitsoe shelving system which I found on the forum here last night. I wonder if it would be feasible to build a closet system out of that...

Posted by hamilton cowie at November 30. 2005

elfa has some affordable options that are customizable and can look very modern by virtue of their open, ventilated construction.

http://www.elfa.com/index.cfm?sprakid=2

the container store, for one, carries these systems and i think they have a big sale once a year or so.

http://www.containerstore.com/plan/sketches/reach-inSketch.jhtml

Posted by kayne bancroft at November 30. 2005

I like that Vitsoe line, looks very cool. As for elfa, I take more of that stuff to the dump every week than you can imagine. People seem to hate that wire and hire us to redo thier closets and take that stuff out. now before anyone attacks me, I personally have never used that stuff in my own home. All I can say is that in 6 years of doing closets I have removed a TON of that wire type shelving.

Posted by psmodern at November 30. 2005

Kayne is right. I spent my first week in our house ripping out Closetmaid wire shelving and cheap laminate drawers with one of those wall hung systems. This stuff made Elfa look like BB Italia! Paying a contractor to patch and paint over the 200 holes left in the drywall probably cost me more than the system cost originally.

I don't understand why someone would build a beautiful architect designed modern house and then install cheap closets from Home Depot. You can even read it on the plans for our house - 'Owner to install'. :zz:

I got pricing on Vitsoe shelving for a related project in my office. Oy vey! I'm used to high end furniture pricing but this was still overpriced in my opinion. The shelving is OK but if you add drawers to it then it gets expensive. Each individual drawer is $1100, so just putting a single line of drawers across the shelving would add nearly $5k to the cost.

It's not like a piece of Eames furniture or a Castiglioni lamp..I mean, it's a set of shelves. Do I really want to spend five figures on it? And you have to DIY which makes me very nervous.

Posted by kayne bancroft at November 30. 2005

psmodern,
I will post a picture of the closet I built for myself.I too prefer the Euro style freestanding units. so I went and just tore out the existing closet (I mean the walls ans doors)and built the freestanding kind. I built it out of the same melamine I use for our closet systems, but I used 24 deep material so I could hang clothes and still have doors. it's about 13' across 8' tall and has drawers. Retail would be around $5000. This may be the solution for you.

Posted by flyleft at December 01. 2005

like kayne, for our master bedroom remodel I'm taking out the built-in closet (so much wasted space to those silly extra walls!) and putting in the tall-height Ikea closets--they'll pretty much fit floor to ceiling, so they'll look built-in, and they're staying there permanently. Ikea also has two different depths if you need to work around any particular architectural oddnesses, as we do in one area. I also *hate* wire shelving as much as Joan Crawford would have if she'd known about it. Can't comment about the office, but for the master I thought I'd also share that Ikea can work with or without doors...and I bet you'd get it for less than 10K...

Posted by Steven at December 01. 2005

I put in Ikea wardrobes. Aluminum frame w/ frosted tempered glass doors. They look very custom and great. I put the 118 in bedroom for a wall closet. It added to the architecture of the room rather than filling it like a big piece of furniture like a regular wardrobe would. I think they are about 92 tall so I have a couple inches to spare on the top and put in rope lighting.

I put the 78 wide one in my office which hides all my office clutter, files, shredder, printer etc...Just plan on spending several hours and a few cold beers for assembly. Once you figure out the first cabinet assembly the rest go a little quicker.

Posted by Bozena at December 01. 2005

My sister who lives in Poland bought her closets from Polish manufacturer called Komandor, they are very nice and sleek. They have an authorized dealer in Canada but not in US. Their website in English is: www.komandor.com Check out the gallery, nice inspiration too. There is also online quotation feature possible.

Posted by darrel at December 04. 2005

don't understand why someone would build a beautiful architect designed modern house and then install cheap closets from Home Depot.

I dunno, makes sense to me. spend money where it counts. A closet behind doors really only has to effectively store clothes.

But I agree that closets themselves a bit odd. Would love to see photos of the Ikea solutions you folks put together.

Posted by Steven at December 05. 2005

I'll post some pics as soon as I clean up my bedroom and office ;)

Posted by kayne bancroft at December 06. 2005

hey everyone i posted some photos of the closet in the blog section under high rise condo remodel. check it out.

Posted by Michael Hand at December 06. 2005

I have a small closet (66 x 24 ) where I plan on using the Ikea Stolmen storage system. I plan on economizing by going with shelves instead of drawers and going with one free standing post and using wall attachments to help support the components. I calculted my cost at between $180 to $200.

Posted by Chris Elliott at December 09. 2005

I am also using Ikea Stolmen. I will post pics in about a week. There will be 13 of the poles.

Posted by Jeff Jasper at December 10. 2005

Kayne, love your closets, trying to do something like that for one of our bedroom, floor to ceiling. So you built those using Scavolini or Poliform materials?

Posted by kayne bancroft at December 11. 2005

jjasper, no Scavolini or poliform, just 24 deep melamine in the color mocha Basically you just take the cal closet stuff but make it deeper so all hanging clothes are behind doors.

Posted by John Paulsen at December 13. 2005

Does anyone have experience with Rakks? I saw one of their systems on the DWELL television program that looked pretty cool...

http://www.rakks.com/

John

Posted by Ryan Mathern at December 15. 2005

><br>

This is a closet system I'm trying to standardize. The materials are clear natural birch and clear cherry with chrome rods and hardware. This would price at 3200 to 4000 installed.

><br>

Posted by Ryan Mathern at December 16. 2005

><br>
><br>

Posted by Daniel Burns at December 26. 2005

Came across these guys recently:

http://www.easytrack.com

Price is right for the budget conscious, but if you can spend more, I bet you'll get a better product elsewhere.

Posted by Chris Elliott at December 31. 2005

><br>

Check out the link for a picture of a new Ikea Stolmen closet.
You can click on each picture to see a bigger version.
[url href=http://www.atlantamodern.net/#Closet]Here's the link[/url]

><br>

Posted by Sheila Elliott at January 03. 2006

The man seems to have more clothes than the woman. What gives?:zz:

Posted by psmodern at January 08. 2006

Ryan - that's a nice looking closet system - definitely interesting! Are you going to produce it commercially?

Posted by Craig Brewer at January 13. 2006

I'm having the exact same problem. Can't find a decent closet without the million dollar price tag. I don't have built in closets so I need a wardrobe style system. I planned an elaborate pax system via Ikea only to find out that they wouldn't have certian pieces (drawer slides) for months. I held off having learned my lesson of buying a system from Ikea when they didn't have all their parts in stock (story of the eight month kitchen install). I'm using temporary wardrobes for the time being. I'll most likely end up installing the pax. I do like the concept of floating cabinets as on the easy track website, but something tells me the finish won't be what I want. I've also considered the Stolman. How sturdy is it?

Posted by Chris Elliott at January 14. 2006

Stolmen is very sturdy. The aluminum poles don't flex and are secured at the floor and ceiling. The metal pieces that go between the poles are steel and very substantial. The drawer units and shelves are MDF with steel plates where they attach to the poles. Once you put it all together, it feels very solid.

We really like the system and the best thing is that we can change it around if we need to (at least as long as Ikea carries it).