Personal tools
Sections

Interior Design/Decorating ideas, please!

by Heather Jennings last modified Apr 08, 2014 11:20 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Interior Design/Decorating ideas, please!

Posted by Heather Jennings at October 13. 2006

Hi All!
We are in a decorating dilemma. My partner and I live in a basic 1 1/2 story city home that is traditional in the sense that all the space is very cut up and not exactly to my liking, but for now, it must do. My dilemma is in redecorating our living room, which is approximately 11.5x19.5. We have a few finishing touches to complete such as buying the Flor carpet tiles for under the coffee table and we still are in need of a clock for the wall (SUGGESTIONS :)), BUT, we are not sure what to do about window coverings. We have this large window that faces South which gives us great sunlight, but we are on a busy street and at night it would be nice to not have the entire neighborhood staring into our home. There is also one other window on the west side that looks to our neigbors house.

So, we want something basic and contemporary, not overly expensive, that will coordinate with our taupe walls and black leather furniture. We've seen and liked the panels at IKEA, but have ultimately decided the space is too small. I'm just not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be so appreciated!

HeatherJ in Minnesota

Re: Interior Design/Decorating ideas, please!

Posted by Heather Jennings at October 13. 2006

Posted by Splatgirl at October 14. 2006

What color and style are the FLOR tiles going to be? I think that could provide some direction with regard to color and fabrics, which IMO the room could really benefit from.
I would consider doing a heavy floor to ceiling tailored drapery on one or both of those walls. On the wall with the smaller window, make the panel cover that whole wall when closed. A ceiling mount, hospital curtain type track system would work well to maximize and preserve the visual height.
If that' not your thing, what about just plain cellular shades mounted inside the window frame? Maybe the top down/bottom up kind?

Posted by Heather Jennings at October 21. 2006

Thanks for replying Splatgirl.

Our FLOR tiles will be made up of some black, taupe, grey, brown and then one or two lime green tiles to offset the painting on the wall opposite of the big window.

The space is quite small and I had pondered textured draperies, in maybe a suede even, but I think it might be too much for the room.

We are searching for a clock to go the left of the small window so that will be added and we have added a small end table (in light colored wood) to the right of the couch.

Any other thoughts O Sages of LiveModern? Ideas for clocks would be welcome too!! :)

Thanks again!

Posted by Splatgirl at October 22. 2006

I was envisioning a very neutral, smooth fabric with no pattern, maybe a menswear-ish solid wool or heavy cotton twill.
Depending on the formality you are hoping to achieve (I think it could easily go either way right now) fabric with a bit of a shine, or not.
A roman shade in the same type of fabric would also work but I think the key to maximizing the sense of space is to keep the wall and window treatment colors very close or the same and emphasize the vertical.

Posted by Condo Sweet at September 13. 2007

hey, here is a website where you can find lots of interesting links on home decoration and shops for blinds and other accessories

http://www.gardenmart.com/glinks.shtml

Posted by Olivia Coburn at December 23. 2013
Previously Condo Sweet wrote:

hey, here is a website where you can find lots of interesting links on home decoration and shops for blinds and other accessories

http://www.gardenmart.com/glinks.shtml

The link you shared in the post about the home decoration is really very nice and helpful. I also know one website which will help you out in getting the best ideas related to the interior designing. Here is the link which you must visit home design ideas

Posted by Anna Smith at April 08. 2014

you need to find the curtain that can cut the light and voice of outside. growing plants in your room and around your home can cool down the temprature.