Personal tools
Sections

Who makes this chair?

by Dan Semar last modified Aug 05, 2005 07:53 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Who makes this chair?

Posted by Dan Semar at June 28. 2005

I keep seeing this chair and I don't know who makes it. If you've ever seen the preview for the show Monk on USA, at the end of the preview they show him sitting in this chair. I've also seen it in Yamaha home audio ads. It's a grey cloth very cube like chair with a painted silver base and legs. Does anyone know what I'm talking about. I would post a picture but I obviously can't find one.

Re: Who makes this chair?

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at June 28. 2005

><br>

You mean like this:

><br>

Attachments

Le Corbusier, no. It's the same concept but has a lower stance and is wider in all aspects.

><br>

Found a pic.

><br>

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at June 29. 2005

That looks like a Reef armchair by Cassina. We have the sofa in the same material. The chair also swivils.

Here is the only image I can find, but it was also in an ad recently (Lavardera picked it up on his modern in the media thread) for Quiznos (baby sitting in the chair).

www.unicahome.com/catalog/index.asp?cid=1600page=1

Posted by Dan Semar at June 29. 2005

Good find Rous. Now does anyone make a replica?

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at June 29. 2005

I doubt you'll find a replica out there. And judging how hard it was to find a picture of the chair, I would say it is not popular enough that replicas will appear ever. But you might be able to find the look elsewhere.

Posted by Christy Kilgore-Hadley at June 29. 2005

Maybe get one custom made? It looks fairly simple. Of course, I can say that, having no idea what it takes to make a chair...

Posted by Dan Semar at June 30. 2005

[quote:cfcek2 format=text/plain]Maybe get one custom made? It looks fairly simple. Of course, I can say that, having no idea what it takes to make a chair...[/quote]

Funny thing I've actually been thinking about it. But putting my own twist on it. I don't know if its me, but most modern furniture is uncomfortable as hell. I don't know about all of you but I actually use my furniture on a daily bases. I drive my Wife nucking futs because I always want new furniture. Like the Corbusier furniture. I wanted that for the longest time until I sat in it. And that was on the Corbusier Grand series. I'm a fairly big dude so I guess thats part of my problem. It sucks because whenever I go over to other peoples house they have the ugliest most comfortable furniture. I'm just venting...Is it just me?

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at June 30. 2005

I also don't find the corbu series comfortable, but in general I find modern furniture much more comfortable than antiques, and no different than traditionally styled new furniture.

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at June 30. 2005

For this piece, we have the Reef sofa nad it is really comfortable. The sofa has a heavy-duty steel frame and no springs. The cushons that make up the sides, back and seat are all blocks of very dense foam. It is suprisingly firm when you first sit on it, but that means it also offers some decent support. Now the sofa is different in that the back can be raised about 8 and pivots back while the chair does not have this feature. So the back of the chair is at a almost 90 deg. incline and only rises about 14 from the seat. I am not sure how that would be after a couple of hours.

The problem with the Crate and Barrel type furniture is that you sink into it in the showroom and then think it must be comfy. But with absolutely no support, I never find those types of chairs/sofas comfortable for long.

Posted by Grant Lumsden at August 05. 2005

The chair is on cassina usa's website:
http://www.cassinausa.com/contemporary/260_reef.html#

guess they might still make it..