Personal tools
Sections

Bosch dishwashers...any complaints?

by darrel last modified Sep 04, 2005 03:16 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Bosch dishwashers...any complaints?

Posted by darrel at March 21. 2005

We need a new dishwasher. We'd like to go with Bosch, as I remember the forums here giving them praise and an issue of Dwell liking them a lot.

In doing a bit of research online, though, I've found a few instances where the circuit boards on the Bosch washers fail. Has this happened to anyone? Not sure if this is a few isolated instances, or a common problem with this brand.

Re: Bosch dishwashers...any complaints?

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at March 21. 2005

We have had ours only a few years now - not long enough to turn up any flaws like this. In the meantime it is very quiet and does a remarkable job cleaning.

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at March 21. 2005

We have had ours for almost 5 years. No problems and it does a great job. A couple of notes though. 1) if the water going in isn't very hot, it will take a while to run. 2) the drying technology they use (some sort of evaporative process) means including plasic dishes like kiddie cups and plates not only takes it longer to finish, but the plasic stuff never dries completely.

Posted by Adam Phillips at March 25. 2005

ive got a high end bosch integra, and i agree with rous on the drying, i end up with condensation on a lot of items, even on the silverware. and my first one did have a bad board in it,... even though they replaced it w/ no fee, it was a pain in the ass.

Posted by Jamie Reilly at May 22. 2005

when you look at the consumer reports ratings, bosch has the highest rate of repair of any brand they review.

Posted by mjfree at May 23. 2005

I recently purchased a lower-end bosch SHX dishwasher with 3-functions for 700.00. I think it was rated at 56db, which definately wasnt the lowest rating, but it is quiet enough for me. My main problems are with the racks. When you buy 3-functions, you basically dont get any flexibility in the rack system. So far, I can figure out where to put half of my stuff (mainly bowls) so it sits right. Also, the utensil holder is cheap and small. In short, the functionality of the dishwasher makes me yearn for my cheap white sears apartment diswhasher that fit all my dishes.

Posted by darrel at May 23. 2005

mj...could not agree MORE!

We ended up going with a low-end 3-function one ourselves...about $500.

It's amazingly quiet, and does a great job cleaning...but the racks DEFINITELY suck. Actually, it's fine for plates, but a real pain with lots of glasses and bowls. Forget about doing the wine glasses.

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at May 23. 2005

Thats funny - we have the low end one as well. I have no problem with the racks but my wife does not like them.

Posted by spam@yahoo.com at June 14. 2005

Our 8 year old Bosch still cleans like a champ, no service needed.
Only complaint is that is doesn't unload the dishes by itself.

Posted by c. aldridge at August 22. 2005

I'm sure your decision making is done by now but I had a horrible experience with my bosch dishwasher. I bought a floor model from Sears (first and last time buying an appliance that's been molested by every small child that walks in the store) that wound up having to be repaired twice. The buttons/ key pad had to be replaced (first repair bill) and then the dishwasher stopped running all together. When the repair man came out the second time he said it wasn't running because we had been using liquid detergent (really, I'm not making this up). Apparently the rest of the country is ok using liquid detergent my particular washer had to have apsecial diet of the dry food only. Also all the neat adjustable plate holders broke off of the bottom and top racks.

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at August 22. 2005

No liquid detergent? Our bosh came with a free sample of liquid detergent. It had a sticker on the inside of the door that said Hey, we think you should really use this liquid detergent I guess the didn't talk to your repairman...

Posted by c. aldridge at August 23. 2005

I know- it's ridiculous! But he insisted that liquid detergent was the work of the devil. It makes no sense- why would there be such a huge variety of liquid detergents on the market if you shouldn't use them. We used the powder detergent for about 9 months after that (up until we rented the house out) without incident. I chalk up the whole negative experience to having bought a floor model.

Posted by Jennifer Tipton at August 23. 2005

But he insisted that liquid detergent was the work of the devil.

Naaa...that would be wall to wall carpet.

Jennifer

Posted by Chad Capeland at August 23. 2005

We have a stainless bosch with hidden controls. I've open that thing while it's running full blast more than a dozen times. I just don't hear it running.

As for cleaning efficacy, it managed to clean peanut butter from the bottom of a highball glass on the top rack. Not bad.

Posted by darrel at August 23. 2005

The Bosh we ended up with was one of the lower end ones, but it's been working great. REALLY quiet, and does a great job of cleanign (more so than the old one ever did).

The only thing I know about DW detergent is that you have to make SURE you use actual DW detergent, and, at least with the BOSCHs, you want to use a very little bit. Maybe that's true of all of them, but I did read in the BOSCH manual that you're only supposed to fill it to the very first line in the detergent container (why there are 3 lines? I don't know...)

Posted by darrel at August 23. 2005

oh, and as a follow-up to the rack issue. I still don't like the rack, but have discovered that the BOSCH isn't as picky as to how you place items in there. Our old DW didn't like overloading at all and all bowls had to be individually spaced out.

With the bosch, I just stack bowls any which way on the top rack...cramming them in, and, surprisingly, they are all clean when finished.

Posted by sydney rubin at September 04. 2005

I'm glad to see so many satisfied customers, but I'm afraid I'm not among them. I bought a mid-range Bosch that was extremely quiet (too quiet, in fact. I couldn't tell when it was running). But the drying capabilities were very poor and the motor burned out about one month after the two-year warranty ran out. Bosch was not interested in helping an unhappy customer, so I just bought a new dishwasher -- a Maytag Quiet Series from Sears that was half the price and works twice as well. The Bosch look cool, but I picked a lemon, so be careful.

On the liquid detergent. My house inspector (i.e. no vested interest) said liquid detergent over time will coat the inside of the drain pipes, like cholesterol on arteries. He suggested I use powder, if I find the results the same.

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at September 04. 2005

This week we discovered that the vinyl coating on our Bosh upper rack has come off at a welded knuckle and is rusting. The washer is two years old. No other problems (we are currently using powder)