Personal tools
Sections

Gas fireplace fake-log replacement options?

by darrel last modified Oct 29, 2007 07:56 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Gas fireplace fake-log replacement options?

Posted by darrel at October 24. 2007

We're finishing out basement and I'm trying to go for a slight modern/loft feel to it. We're staining the concrete floors, leaving a lot of the ceiling expose, etc.

Part of the finishing is getting a gas insert for our fireplace. It's fine. Went with as simple of an insert as we could, all-black.

The only thing that really bugs me is the fake logs. I don't like fake logs.

So, anyone know of options for that?

I saw an add for a company that sells 'fireplace glass': http://www.glass-rocks.com

However, there is absolutely no information on their site about that particular product and the person that answers their emails can't seem to actually answer questions via email.

So, I'm giving up on that company.

In books, such as the Taunton Press fireplace book, I see all sorts of alternatives...steel pipes...'fireplace rocks'...but have no idea where to look for these.

Even though the insert was purchased from a large fireplace showroom, they didn't seem to have any concept of anything but fake logs. The installers didn't know much about it either, other than they thought removing the fake logs might void the warranty.

If anyone has any info/links regarding fake-log alternatives, please share!

Re: Gas fireplace fake-log replacement options?

Posted by James Wagner at October 27. 2007
Yes. Try http://www.rasmussen.biz/ They have Firestones, Firerocks and Fireshapes. I got a set of the firestones and they seem pretty good. They are actually ceramic and came packed very well. Not particularly cheap, but I haven't priced the fake logs either. I was happy to pay whatever to ditch those things. It takes some work to get them layered just right. I've only used them once and got some black marks on some where the flames were a bit too yellow. They started to glow when they got warmed up. My camera is in the shop, so sorry no pictures. Good luck. jw p.s. I searched for a loooong time for these and always meant to put a post here about them. At least I know I'm getting someone on the right track...

Re: Gas fireplace fake-log replacement options?

Posted by darrel at October 29. 2007

James:

Did you add these to a Gas Insert fireplace? If so, was it fairly easy to take out the logs?

What's odd is that I'm finding a handful of sites like this...they all appear to be ma and pa shops and all seem to claim that they are the only 'true source' of these items...even though they all pretty much sell the exact same set of glass, rocks and shapes. Odd.