Personal tools
Sections

Oil Rubbed Bronze: the ultimate modern design challenge!

by Way Gorked last modified Aug 25, 2012 07:43 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Oil Rubbed Bronze: the ultimate modern design challenge!

Posted by Way Gorked at August 25. 2012

We just took possession of our brand new house in Lake Oswego, a very conservative suburb of Portland, Oregon. The house is fantastic: Earth Advantage and LEED Platinum green credentials, with a stunning Northwest Modern design that backs to a protected wetland. We love it.

Unfortunately, it was built as a spec house. I suspect that at the last minute, the builder decided that a truly modern house may be a tough sell in such a stuffy neighborhood. The disastrous decision was made to outfit the entire house with oil rubbed bronze fixtures in order to make it appeal to the McMansion crowd.  

So now we are forced to swap out every light fixture, cabinet pull, door hinge, ceiling lamp, fan, towel bar, and so on. I would be happy to do this, but I suspect that it may be a huge pain to do this for the showers and drains.

Is it even possible to get truly modern fixtures in this finish? While I'm not a fan, it is the horrible design that is driving me nuts more than the finish itself. I have scoured the net looking for anything acceptable, so far completely without success.

Any ideas?