Personal tools

Oak Bookcases

by jazmin2309 last modified Jan 11, 2012 05:08 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Oak Bookcases

Posted by jazmin2309 at October 26. 2009

Oak Bookcases

Have you ever noticed how much contemporary furniture is constructed from particleboard or some other type of "engineered" product?  This is certainly a more affordable option ... or is it?  If you are looking to buy a new bookshelf, perhaps you should consider solid wood.  For durability, strength and beauty that will last for generations, you can't beat solid oak furniture.

Perhaps the best feature of solid oak bookcases is how well they absorb punishment.  If particleboard furniture gets scratched or dented, the veneer is essentially ruined.  Oak is a sturdy hardwood that will resist this sort of abuse.  If a determined child or other attacker does manage to mar the surface, it can be addressed with a little sanding and refinishing.  With the veneer bookshelf, it will never look as good as new again after such treatment, and will be relegated to a junk room or the next garage sale.

Another reason to select a solid oak bookcase is strength. That encyclopaedia set is going to eventually cause your particleboard shelves to sag and strain to handle the weight.  A well-crafted oak piece won't have any problem holding up.  This is also helped by the fact that solid wood furniture is usually purchased intact, whereas particleboard pieces must be assembled by the buyer.  For most of us, there are better ways to spend a couple of hours.  Also, if care is not taken in putting it together, you will end up with something that falls apart within weeks.

Finally, there is the beauty and character of the wood itself.  The veneer on particleboard is essentially wallpaper, and it shows.  It's not that hard to see the repeating pattern on the surface, no matter how hard they have tried to make it look like real wood.  With oak, or any other solid wood, an appropriate stain will bring out all of the unique qualities of the material, giving you den or office a warmer, cosier feel. 

But what about that price?  There is no doubt that even unfinished oak bookcases will invariably cost more than the particleboard.  How long do you think that cheaper bookshelf will last, though?  Do you really want to have to replace it every few years when it gets beat up or starts to wobble and become unstable?

Imagine owning an antique oak bookcase, because that's what you and your successors will have many years down the road if you invest a little more money right now.  All it will require is a bit of care as time passes.  

Re: Oak Bookcases

Posted by Becca Watkins at September 20. 2010

This oak made furniture's would be ideal for house owners that have a passion for antique wood furniture's

Jardiniere net curtains

Posted by Brian clarke at September 28. 2010

Our house has an open floor plan on the first floor, with natural oak woodwork. I love the color and texture, it's a bit expensive but if you're thinking about the long-term benefits it's really worth it.

Air Conditioning

Posted by Daniel Homes at March 15. 2011

Oak bookshelves are designed to provide you with high quality design, materials and style that can endure for generations providing beauty to your home and adding a unique and eye catching piece to your decor. Oak can bring you the best in quality when it comes to putting in a lasting piece to complete your room decor.

Get a discount and find traditional to modern furniture styles for every room at furniture stores in Los Angeles.

Posted by Michael Liberman at June 20. 2011

Solid oak furniture is an ideal option if it is in your budget and it matches your existing decor.

discount furniture stores los angeles

Posted by Robert Oakley at October 20. 2011

I think oak furniture will always bee seen as a traditional style of furniture. Rustic oak with olde worldy metal handles you can imagine that were once forged by a black smith. Although that being said there are some <a title="Amazing deals on modern oak furniture" href=""> out there. Some really modern and clever designs using a traditional material like oak are creeping on to the consumer market.

Posted by Monica Thomson at November 24. 2011

I found some nice shelves and bookcases here. I love their design and style. Not oak that's true, but if you are looking for some classical furniture you might find somethins here:!Product%20type=Bookshelves