Personal tools
Sections

where to buy modern furniture

by brano rataj last modified Apr 04, 2014 01:25 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 22 votes)

where to buy modern furniture

Posted by brano rataj at October 18. 2007

iam architect designer, originally from europe moved to denver. i was suprised how difficult is to find quality modern furniture in usa. anything that stores here claim to be modern is crap that  ruins whole meaning of this word. any pieces of originall italian furniture is so overpriced in usa that it rather makes sense to ship them from europe for the same price. is there a american company that produces furniture that can keep up with competition from europe, is not made in china, has fine details and is not overpriced?

Re: where to buy modern furniture

Posted by darrel at October 24. 2007

This is America. Get used to fake leather, overstuffed couches, and Vinyl siding. ;o)

Aside from Ikea (modern, but 'disposable' furniture) and Design Within Reach (modern, but overpriced), you being in Denver, I think your best bet might be Room and Board:

http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/info_store_location.do?method=get&vm=.co_denver

Posted by brano rataj at October 24. 2007

well, it doesnt need to be in denver. i have bought a bed from innovation that meets most of my criteria via internet. ikea would be my last choice in europe but here i might just give it a shot. room and board, no thanks. oh well.

Posted by darrel at October 24. 2007

"room and board, no thanks"

Really? I'm curious as to why. They make quality stuff with a nod towards mid-century modern style.

Posted by brano rataj at October 25. 2007

NOT MY STYLE CONSIDERING FURNITURE. I AM MORE INTO THE STUFF THAT DESIGN WITHIN REACH SELLS. TRY THIS WEBSITE TO SEE WHAT IAM LOOKING FOR. THIS IS STORE THAT WAS NEXT TO MY HOUSE WHEN I LIVED IN EUROPE

external-link

Posted by darrel at October 25. 2007

Oh, well, I know I'm soundling like a R&B fan boy here, but FYI, R&B sells a lot of the same furniture that DWR sells as well--at least the mid-century modern pieces.

That is a nice shop you link to.

Some other options might be West Elm and CB2...both a step up from Ikea.

Posted by brano rataj at October 25. 2007

ARE WEST ELM AND CB2 ACTUAL PHYSICAL STORES IN DENVER? OR JUST WEB STORES. COULD YOU POST A LINK?

Posted by Bryan Man at October 26. 2007

Previously brano rataj wrote:

iam architect designer, originally from europe moved to denver. i was suprised how difficult is to find quality modern furniture in usa. anything that stores here claim to be modern is crap that  ruins whole meaning of this word. any pieces of originall italian furniture is so overpriced in usa that it rather makes sense to ship them from europe for the same price. is there a american company that produces furniture that can keep up with competition from europe, is not made in china, has fine details and is not overpriced?

Hi I am a designer and space planner. I have a furniture and lighting store that sells alof the the items you are looking for. Take a moment and look at my website www.magedmanmodern.com  I carry alot of lines that I dont currently have added to my web page. Give me a call I can get you what your looking for and I offer good price reductions when you buy more then one item.

Posted by brano rataj at October 27. 2007

hi i will stay tuned to your site. it it too early to buy for me now. in a year or so i am buying an old house that i want to remodel for it to suit my needs. the only reason iam looking for frniture so early is the fact that when i was moving to us, rented a apartment  and wanted to buy some furniture it took me almost year to find and get what i wanted.

Posted by Jacqueline McArthur at October 29. 2007

Have you tried www.modlivin.com ?  They are located in Denver, I think.  They have a store as well as shopping on line.  I have ordered from them and had great service. 

Posted by darrel at October 30. 2007

CB2 is only in Chicago physically.

Not sure if West Elm has physical stores or not (though I'm sure their web site will tell you.)

One other is Blu Dot. They make some great stuff. Not sure what they offer retail-wise (though I think DWR carries some of their products).

Posted by brano rataj at October 30. 2007

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS. I WAS ABOUT TO BUY BED FROM BLUE DOT ABOUT A YEAR AGO BUT WHEN I FINALLY DECIDED THEY DID STOP PRODUCING IT. DONT KNOW WHY AS IT WAS VERY FINE BED. ALSO I LIKE STUFF THAT MODLIVING CARIES, BUT AGAIN TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ME RIGHT NOW. ALSO SCANDINAVIAN DESIGN CARIES SOME GOOD PRODUCTS. I ACTUALLY GOT A SECTIONAL FROM THEM. GOOD LOOKING BUT QUALITY IS NOT THAT GREAT , MEANING CUSHIONS ARE SOMEHOW SHITTY .

Posted by darrel at October 30. 2007

Also, check your CAPS LOCK KEY. Looks like it's sticking on you. ;o)

One other thought is La-z-boy. Yea, not a traditional 'modern' retailer, but with Todd Oldham's line, the have some interesting products that harken to mid-century styles.

Posted by Shaan Batten at May 15. 2008

I just opened a small design studio that focuses on modern design. I offer free shipping all over the US.
Let me know if I can ever help you with anything.

www.nest-living.com

Posted by Mike Z at June 12. 2008

I would always look to small local furniture stores for items. They do a great job of sourcing small and new manufacturers and finding other good deals for their store.

Posted by Matt Holmes at June 20. 2008
Please take a look at the modern furniture available at Wholesale Furniture Brokers. We are currently expanding our modern furniture lines. Check out ESF Furniture for contemporary and modern styles. We are currently adding their products to our website. If you call us, we can order the products you see on their website - ESF Furniture. We are also adding the modern styles of Zuo Mod. Give us a call toll free and we will find the modern style you are looking for. If we have a local GoWFB.com outlet in your area, we can ship your order to that outlet for free. New sets are added daily, so check out the new modern styles.

Attachments

Posted by Agilest Collections at June 29. 2008

Check us out at www.agilestcollections.com.  Agilest Collections is an online and brick and mortar Knoll Space and Jonathan Adler authorized dealer. We are a furniture retailer with an emphasis on modern classic contemporary design, new modern design furniture and home accessories.

Attachments

Posted by Nicholas Oakley at August 28. 2008

this online store is pretty good:

http://www.modnest.com/

cant fault the stuff they've chosen from a style point of view.  and have ordered a few things from them so can vouch for quality.

includes stuff you'll find at places like DWR and room and board, but also includes a lot of cool stuff from smaller designers you wont find elsewhre. 

oh, and they do free shipping on ALL items - even got my sofas delivered free, so worked out even cheaper when you factor in that.

Posted by Melanie Carlson at September 22. 2008

You should also check out http://www.lushpad.com for some great used contemporary and mid-century modern furniture. It's North America wide.

Posted by Steve at October 10. 2008

Check out Eastvold custom. High-end design and quality, reasonably priced, from a small group of people who love what they do. Pick a piece, or have one made to order.

http://www.eastvoldcustom.com

Posted by joel hester at October 27. 2008

I've built some cool pieces and can ship to Denver. Alot of my latest pieces have use the rusted and colorful sheetmetal from 60's 70's and 80's American cars. Here is a Foyer table made from a 79 cadillac

http://joelhester.com/

Attachments

Posted by franchesca mercado at November 05. 2008

I have found this site helpful when I was looking for kitchen designers/contractors.  The site has consolidated a list of Kitchen and Bathroom designers, contractors, furniture, fixtures, suppliers and almost everything you need  by cities. http://www.bathroomandkitchenguide.com

Posted by Paul Jackson at November 24. 2008

Hi All,

I bought my furniture from www.kmpfurniture.com

There are lots of varieties and different types of furniture there.

Nice Beds and Nice Sofas for your home

Have a look at this links.

Posted by Brian Nolan at January 20. 2009

Modnest.com has really good stuff and they recently redesigned their site.

Posted by Funky Furniture at January 23. 2009

you can visit this website to view different modern and aesthetic furniture with sleek and innovative designs that will surely take your attention, all prices are reasonable and cheap, so this may be a good reliable source of modern furniture.

I highly suggest that you visit this site.. thanks.

http://www.njmod.com/

Posted by John Smith at August 02. 2009

Hi all,
If you are looking for contemporary stainless steel door hardware, you should have a look at DAYORIS Hardware.
They have all kind of modern stainless steel door handles, stainless steel door levers, and very nice stainless steel door pulls.

The good thing is that they have all these stainless steel door hardware in stock.

But they also have modern doors, modern door stops and modern doorbells.

DAYORIS Hardware is the one stop shop for all modern hardware.

They distribute brands like Valli and Valli, FSB, and many stainless steel door handles suppliers.

We don't usually think about door hardware, but once installed you realize the value that these stainless steel door hardware added to any home or office.
It is a great thing to change before selling a home; home buyers pay attention to details, so with these modern hardware, the details will be here.

There is also a new product that just came out: wood wall panels.
This new line of modern wall panels is a new concept that standardize carpentry.
They have wood wall panels available in many diferent sizes, and diferent colors.
These modern wall panels are delivered with a sub-panel. You will just need to screw the sub-panel to the wall, and easily hang your wood panels like a picture frame.
This process is great you should look at the categorie wood wall panels : http:linkto wall panels.com

http://www.dayorishardware.com

Attachments

Posted by Russel Lyndon at August 03. 2009

I would like to buy modern and latest furniture's at spacify. It has wide range of furniture for home and office.

Russel,

http://www.spacify.com/

Posted by jazmin2309 at August 03. 2009

Posted by David Thompson at August 06. 2009

I recommend looking at manufacturers Dellarobbia or Carter furniture.  My experience is that both are very comfortable, well-built and stylish.  Unfortunately, the store that sold them went under a few years ago.  Modern furniture stores come and then seem to implode in Denver, e.g., Mecca, Light Spot.  However, Denver currently has two modern furniture stores, both of which are located north of Lodo.  They are Studio 2b (www.studio2bdenver.com) and Studio Como (www.studiocomo.com). 

Posted by nodjr at January 29. 2010

hey you might also like to visit this website to get amazing deals on modern furnitures

http://www.lafurniturestore.com