Personal tools
Sections

Counter height vs "Bar height"

by Jill Hayes last modified Aug 09, 2011 05:50 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Counter height vs "Bar height"

Posted by Jill Hayes at May 21. 2009

While designing our new house, I am debating about our kitchen island. On the side that faces the living room, there will a 1 foot overhang for bar seating. So one option is to raise the overhang to the typical...what is it...42"?...the other option is to keep the entire island at counter height and just extend the counter that extra foot.

I should say that the island does have the kitchen sink in it. The living room that the island faces is a big open room with 2' higher ceilings than the kitchen, so I'm trying to picture which option will look best, but having a hard time. 

I know that one pro to the raised bar is that it's a splash guard for the sink and kinda blocks the view of it from the living room. The con is that it breaks up the flow between kitchen and living room and makes it less (though only in a minor way) open. A pro to the counter height is that it seems like it will be cheaper, having less edges to be cut and polished, and I wouldn't have to worry about how it will be raised. I would probably have to build a shallow 42" tall wall (or use 12" deep cabinets) and then do the 12" overhang. Obviously this eats another foot off my living room, but that's not a huge deal. Also, I already have two counter height bar seats and could just buy two more as opposed to buying four of the other height.

So I guess I'm just wondering which would look better....I don't think I've seen too many counter height bars when there is a sink involved.

Any ideas?

Re: Counter height vs "Bar height"

Posted by Jonathan Oltmann at May 22. 2009
I prefer counter height, I have never liked the "steped" look. In my kitchen remodel I am keeping the breakfast/seating area as counter height to keep the continuous look.

Posted by Jill Hayes at May 23. 2009

so one vote for counter height...thank you!

Posted by Matt Holmes at August 16. 2009
Hello Jill. Have you thought of looking at new kitchen islands that have stools designed specifically for them? You can search online for kitchen furniture and matching bar stools. Have you decided what you are going to do yet? You should take some pictures and share them with us when you are done. Anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks!

Posted by Jill Hayes at August 17. 2009

i think for simplicity sake i am just going to keep it counter height. that way i can have one continuous countertop with no interruptions for a height change. helps too that i already have two counter height bar seats, so now i only need one or two more.

just hope it looks ok this way, the tall faucet in the middle of this island makes me wonder how it will look. i would love to post pictures when there is something to see. right now we are framed and plumbers and electricians are coming in. when cabinets are in, i will share how this turned out.

Posted by David Thompson at August 18. 2009

We are currently renovating our kitchen that formerly had a bar counter.  The new kitchen will just have a single counter-height surface.  Like you, the counter will just have a sink (Kohler 8 degree) and a faucet (Franke FF-1880 pull-out spout).  I like the idea of a sculptural faucet projecting from a clean surface.  The counter height was a significant consideration because previously the bar-height counter conveniently obstructed the view of the kitchen counters from the family room.  However, the idea of a clean flat surface (combined with a renewed motivation to keep the kitchen counters devoid of "dust-collectors") motivated us to go counter height.  We are keeping our fingers crossed to see how the organic white Caesarstone counters match with the white Bulthaup B1 cabinets.  

Posted by Barnab at August 09. 2011
Hi..., My dear i think you should be prefer to counter height rather than it seeing the under look.I keeping the seating area of kitchen as counter height.It is perfect setting of it.Must try it....