Sections

need assistance finding dining room table for mid century home

by Thomas Zdon last modified Jun 09, 2009 04:51 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

need assistance finding dining room table for mid century home

Posted by Thomas Zdon at August 25. 2008

What we are looking for:

1. Prefer those really thin metal legs - don't know what they are called but they are generally made of bent rod steel

2. Want the top to be solid wood - no laminates or mdf please

3. No Chrome

Colors the top can be painted include white, red, or natural.  

I've searched for "modern" dining tables and all I seem to find are things we don't like. We don't like chrome, we don't like glass, and we don't like MDF - which pretty much eliminates so much for us.

The floors, ceiling, and walls of the room are white.  The room looks out on the ocean through glass doors - hence the need for something really light looking without large legs so we get unobstructed views.

For chairs we want something in red... if the table is wood or white.  If the table is red - then we'd go with light wood chairs.

The legs could also be wood - but must be very light.  I've checked out the de la espada furniture and it is simply too heavy looking.  Room and Board has a steel leg table - but the tops come in two pieces - which we'd like - if it was extensible - but a line in the top just because they don't produce tops long enough isn't acceptable to us.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.  I've included a drawing of what I envision being the ideal table.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

Re: need assistance finding dining room table for mid century home

Posted by richierod at August 25. 2008

You should consider having one made. It's a very simple piece of furniture, and you could get exactly what you want, in finish and dimensions. 

-R.

Posted by Peter Smith at September 06. 2008

Two options:

Check out the modern  table selection at unicahome.com -- it's one of most extensive on the web

Also, check out the metal leg selection at mocket.com and there are ones taht work for you then get a top made.

Posted by Thomas Zdon at September 06. 2008

Thanks for the response.  I did check out Unica home and there was nothing that had the mid century elegance of the table I'm looking for.  They had what seems to pass as modern nowadays... chrome, glass, tables with 4 legs (we've seen these before).  I did see one I liked but was immediately nixed by the wife as being too minmalist. 

So - I then checked out the legs as well.  Interesting ion the one new design - but again - not thin rod steel ...

I am in touch with a furniture cabinet maker about customizing the table.  It will require multiple people to do - someone who specializes the in brass legs and bending brass rod, and him for the top - we are going with rosewood.

Posted by Laine Houberg at September 09. 2008

Check out 3-form.com  Ive made a table out of their glass with suspended fossil leaves in it. Very expensive but truly stunning.  you stated that you didnt like glass but if you havent seen 3-form you might want to take a gander. Just a thought

Posted by Ruth Little at September 22. 2008

Posted by Laine Houberg at September 25. 2008

Previously Ruth Little wrote:

Any of these take your fancy?

http://www.remodelista.com/2007/12/04/10-easy-pieces-metal-base-dining-tables/

Its not my post but I could find a little love  for some of those. I could build you one for about a third of the price and still sleep well at night but I dig it.

Posted by joy at November 22. 2008

Posted by Funky Furniture at January 23. 2009

You may find what you were looking for in this website, http://www.njmod.com/

there you go, hope that helps...

Posted by rob charles at January 23. 2009

Please check this site morrisathome.com, I think its help you.

-------------------
Litter bins from imrubbish.co.uk

Posted by sigurro at June 09. 2009

Maybe you should check dining tables at Bonluxat site