Personal tools
Sections

Any Info On Harvey Park?

by Matt Duncan last modified Jul 26, 2011 12:32 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Any Info On Harvey Park?

Posted by Matt Duncan at June 14. 2007
Does anyone have any info on Harvey Park neighborhood in Denver? My fiancee and I have been looking at MCM homes for awhile now, and have spotted quite a few in this neighborhood. Does Harvey Park look to become gentrified anytime soon? Or is it already in the process of? (Please note that I am talking more about the community, quality of houses, crime rates, etc., not people.) We are looking more for a fixer-upper, one that needs some work (I am a landscape architect, she is an interior designer). What would an appropriate $$$ per sf be? We are worried that a few of the houses listed are on the high end, and do not want to price ourselves out of the future market by doing renovations.

Re: Any Info On Harvey Park?

Posted by Craig Mayer at June 25. 2007

Previously Matt Duncan wrote:

Does anyone have any info on Harvey Park neighborhood in Denver? My fiancee and I have been looking at MCM homes for awhile now, and have spotted quite a few in this neighborhood. Does Harvey Park look to become gentrified anytime soon? Or is it already in the process of? (Please note that I am talking more about the community, quality of houses, crime rates, etc., not people.)

We are looking more for a fixer-upper, one that needs some work (I am a landscape architect, she is an interior designer).

What would an appropriate $$$ per sf be? We are worried that a few of the houses listed are on the high end, and do not want to price ourselves out of the future market by doing renovations.

Matt

Harvey Park has Denver's largest concentration of MCM homes. There are more than 200 Cliff May ranches on the 2400-2600 blocks of Lowell, Meade, Newton, and Osceola that were built in the 1950s as part of an early prefab development. There are also some nice brick "California Contemporaries" on the surrounding blocks.

Harvey Park is also one of Denver's most affordable modernist neighborhoods. Prices top out just over $200K for a 3BD, 1BA, 1200sf remodeled home. I have sold 4 properties there so far this year. Most have been fixer uppers to younger hip buyers who are willing to put in some work. There are quite a few foreclosures in the area so that has held down the appreciation rates. That said, the foreclosures can be a great buying opportunity.

I think Harvey Park is just getting discovered and will become increasingly popular. However, I doubt it will ever get really HOT. Its too far from downtown or other employment/entertainment centers and the neighborhood itself lacks a commercial core with cofee shops, restaurants, and the like.

Posted by Brent Barkley at July 04. 2007

Previously Matt Duncan wrote:

Does anyone have any info on Harvey Park neighborhood in Denver? My fiancee and I have been looking at MCM homes for awhile now, and have spotted quite a few in this neighborhood. Does Harvey Park look to become gentrified anytime soon? Or is it already in the process of? (Please note that I am talking more about the community, quality of houses, crime rates, etc., not people.)

We are looking more for a fixer-upper, one that needs some work (I am a landscape architect, she is an interior designer).

What would an appropriate $$$ per sf be? We are worried that a few of the houses listed are on the high end, and do not want to price ourselves out of the future market by doing renovations.

Hey Matt,

I am one of the aforementioned buyers that Craig spoke of. (Hi Craig!) We just moved into the neighborhood (2355 S. Newton)  in January, and we're now 6 months into this thing, so I feel like i have a little perspective as to what Harvey Park is and isn't.

Even in the last 6 months, I've seen quite a few younger couples move into nearby houses. There seems to be a bit of a swell to "take back" the neighborhood. It's a mixed bag though. For every person that seems to care about MCM aesthetic and design, there are just as many who have no sense of what the intent of the design of these houses are. That said, I think it IS changing. The house next door to us to just went on the market last week, there's a couple down the street who are completely redoing their house in a true MCM manner (I was happy to see Nelsson lamp boxes in the house!), and there are several other on our street who have people that definitely are into the aesthetic.

If you're looking to take on a project (most need to have at the very least some minor undoing of bad wallpapers, carpets, and other bad 70s/80s updates) and not pay the premium price of say a Krisana Park or Lynwood home, I think Harvey Park is a great place for you. I have to say while not gentrified, we feel completely safe here, and with each month, we're happier with our choice because of the neighbors moving in like you. I agree with Craig that it might not ever be as hot as the other MCM neighborhoods, but I think there's definitely an upside to the neighborhood. It's definitely on the way up while the other neighborhoods have seemingly crested already (my personal opinion). Seems like a ground-floor opportunity, and the more people like you who move in, the better it is all for ALL of us in the neighborhood! It's pretty cool to see a neighborhood transforming and feel like you have a hand in it.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions! Also, I have a blog up showing all the updates we're doing to our house here in Harvey Park, so take a look if you like.

-Brent

brentbarkley@gmail.com

http://coloradocliff.blogspot.com

Posted by 5280mod at July 06. 2007

Hi Matt,

I have helped 2 buyers purchase HUD homes in Harvey Park in the past 6 months, or so. Both MCM's (the non-Cliff May variety) and both great deals!

Harvey Park is all single family homes...no apartment complexes or duplexes which is always a plus. There is indeed a park with a small recreation center. The main drawback seems to be the location...one cannot get on their bicycle and easily ride to Cherry Creek for instance.

For those more interested in the architecture than the zip code, I definitely see this neighborhood coming into its own as mod enthusiasts breath new life into the community.

Posted by Matt Duncan at July 19. 2007
Everyone, thanks. Good info all around.