Personal tools
Sections

Office Park off of Rt422 in PA

by Erica Zbyszewski last modified Jul 27, 2006 08:35 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Office Park off of Rt422 in PA

Posted by Erica Zbyszewski at May 21. 2006

Does anyone know anything about that office park off of the Rt 422 West highway right before Phoenixville/Collegeville? It's modern, very Scandanavian looking and we are SO curious to know who the architect was!

Re: Office Park off of Rt422 in PA

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at May 21. 2006

><br>

I'm not absolutely sure but could this be SEI Investments??

Looks a little bit like a modern barn - is this the place? Here is the architects web page about the place:
http://www.msrltd.com/off_sei.html

If this is the place you saw it is a very interesting work place. It has a very forward thinking work environment with completely open plan work spaces without cubicles. The same architects designed Herman Miller Furniture's design center on similar principles.

My other passion aside from modern houses is modern workplaces :grin:

><br>

Posted by Erica Zbyszewski at May 22. 2006

That's it, Greg! Isn't it fabulous? Of course, I had no idea what the inside looked like (have only been able to view the outside from the road) so I was floored when I saw the interior on that link you supplied. When I worked outside of the home I would have LOVED to work in an *office* like that!

That building is the only attractive structure for miles - everything else is cookie cutter boring.

Posted by Erica Zbyszewski at May 22. 2006

Hey, did you also note that MSR is designing the new corporate offices for Urban Outfitters in Philly? That looks super cool.

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at May 22. 2006

><br>

SEI is a great place. I was lucky enough to get a tour of the place with the facility manager at an IFMA (international facility managers association) meeting back in 1998. Its grown since then. An open workplace like this is not the answer for every organization, but it was particularly suitable to their work and corporate culture. It was really fantastic to see. All the desks are mobile, and each one is fed power and data from an umbilical that comes from a grid above. All the phones were cordless, which was a stretch back then. Today I wonder if they have moved their data over to wireless? Anyway, it leaves the facility completely flexible. People can move to new teams by unplugging their desk and rolling it to a new location.

For office furniture aficionados, they are using a modified version of Vitra's Metropol desks and the now ubiquitous Herman Miller Aeron chair.

><br>

Posted by Adam McBride at July 27. 2006

As a former employee of SEI, I can not say enough good things about the design of the complex. They also had lots of interesting artwork. You could take a weekly tour of the revolving art exhibits. The open environment sure made working in teams easy. Surprisingly there was a fair amount of privacy as well. Even the CEO does not have an office. Oh, how I miss those chairs!!