Personal tools
Sections

Welcome, and introduce yourself here

by Gregory La Vardera last modified Jul 20, 2010 02:55 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Re: Welcome, and introduce yourself here

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at July 25. 2006

Welcome to the region Colleen. I don't know any realtor or contractors in that area but this is the best place to post the question - don't hesitate to repost the question in its own topic here in the DVM forum.

I think Doylestown in a wonderful area. You have a beautiful small town with a definite urban character, and great old neighborhoods surrounding it. I don't know the neighborhoods but there must be some modern houses from the 50s around there. We expect you to research and report back.\

If you email me I will put you on the mailing list I maintain, or you can join the email list server - I use that also when I send out meeting announcements. Which by the way I am way behind in organizing a spring meeting! I promise to get to it and to try to arrange something fun.

my email is in the margin below my photo.

Posted by Adam McBride at July 27. 2006

Hello

My name is Adam, I have been a member and browser of this great forum for several months. I figured that I should introduce myself. I currently live in Downingtown Pa with my wife and three year old daughter, in a cookie cutter colonial that my wife loves :zz: . I really like the area that we are in, D-town is a cool little town, and we are 10minutes from Westchester, which is another cool town. I am currently entertaining the thought of going back to school for Architecture, possibly to my Alma mater Drexel. I am kicking myself for not studying Architecture the first time. I understand that they have a great night time program.

I am not aware of any mid-century modern homes in this area, but I am always on the lookout. Does anybody know of any???

This site is great!

Posted by Frank Jones at July 30. 2006

I'm building an eco friendly building in Fishtown. SIPs, geo-thermal HVAC, bamboo floors, Low on site waste, energy star appliances, considering induction cooktops if I can import it from England where they are about 60% of the cost here. It'll be modern (dwellish) on the inside and blend into the neighborhood on the outside.

We will live there and sell part of it to help pay for the construction.

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at July 30. 2006

Hi Adam - We have a couple of scouts in the modern group who seem to know where you can find modern neighborhoods all over the Delaware Valley. Join the email list and send the question around - or email it to me and I'll do the same.

Frank - I just did a townhouse renovation for a small developer in Fishtown on York. They have a few empty lots adjacent where I'm hoping we build some houses. I'm sure we would all like to learn more about your project.

People - join up on the email list so we can reach you. There is not enough traffic here and people don't check it regularly. It also allows me to reach you when we plan a gathering.

Posted by Amanda Davis at October 05. 2006

Hello,

My name is Amanda. I am a graphic designer and my husband is an architect. We bought a starter home in Philly's up and coming area of Fishtown area about a year and a half ago. We plan to stay where we are for a couple more years then take the prefab leap. As someone pointed out previously, Northern Liberties is being overcome by ugly prefab houses. With Philadelphia being named the next big city, I think there is a market for urban living/rowhome style modern prefab units.

Greg, are you familiar with the prefab style overtaking in Northern Liberties? Do you have any ambitions to design prefabs for urban infill lots? Just curious.

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at October 05. 2006

Hi Amanda,

I think the prefab project you are describing is the Liberty Walk development by Tower Properties? They are using modular construction with the modules being fabbed at a factory somewhere in PA. I can't really comment as I have not seen them in person. All I have seen were some renderings of the project and I think they looked contemporary, not exceptional, but not awful by any means.

I love to design for urban infill. Doing prefabs for urban infill is a tough job, because the size of infill lots are not consistent. I wrote a proposal for an infill project last year but it did not happen. And I've feilded inquiries from several small Philadelphia developers. Yet to see if anything comes of it. I did the design work for a house renovation in Fishtown for a small development group this past summer. They also have some lots that I hope to help them with. So lots of buzz, nothing going yet.

I think the Rag Flat guys are doing great work in that part of town.

Posted by Chad Ludeman at November 02. 2006

Hi,

My name is Chad and I also live in the Fishtown area with my wife. I am the marketing manager for a small software company and she is a realtor for Coldwell Banker Preferred in Philly. We bought a shell about a year ago and are just finishing its rehab in the next few weeks.

I've always had an interest in modern architecture and a dream that the cookie-cutter McMansion developments around the US would become a thing of the past in favor of unique modern prefabs. What the Rag Flats brothers are doing in the neighborhood has stirred up some ambition to do something modern in the area also so we are looking into doing a modern rehab in the area once we finish our house. I have also been looking into the possibility of modern prefabs or IBU (structural container) homes with Greg's help amoung others. This may be a long term project but I think it's possible and a good fit for our neighborhood.

Posted by Rob Jones at December 20. 2006

Hello,

My name is Rob Jones.  I am a West Chester, PA native and although I love the historic houses and architecture of beautiful, walkable towns like West Chester, I find myself more and more drawn to modern design.  My wife (a social worker) and I (a nurse) live in an apartment here in WC, but we are looking to make a move sometime in 2007.  We are hoping to live within the city limits and have recently been researching the Mt. Airy/ Germantown area.  I want to find a neighborhood that has good accessability to public transportation, and a community feel.  A historic home with a potential for modern interior renovation might be up our alley. 

I am excited to have found this group, and I'm looking forward to diving into these forums in the weeks to come!

Incidentaly, I came across a lisiting for what appears to be a midcentury modern ranch in Cheltenham. Here is a excerpt from the listing:

"An engaging little retreat on a nearly half acre secluded lot, dating back from the mid-20th century modern architecture, designed by the famous architect/sculptor Oskar Stronov, notable for the Carl Mackley House-Philadelphia, Avone Lea(the Oskar Stonorov House and Farm)-Charlstown, and the sculpture "Under the Tucson Sun"-Center city Philadelphia."

...in case anyone is interested.  http://www.everyhome.com/pa/mg/ch/d4825944.htm

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at December 20. 2006
Hi Rob and welcome. Don't forget to check out some of the sweet small towns across the river that have good access to the city like Collingswood by train, and Merchantville - closer than Germantown! Where ever you look - its a good time. I'm wondering if this slow down may be short-lived, and things slow when it gets cold anyway. That Cheltenham house is a sweet find.

Posted by Karen Lyons at June 16. 2007

Previously Gregory La Vardera wrote:

Welcome to the Delaware Valley Forum. If you are a new visitor please post and introduce yourself here. We have a loosely organized group of Delaware Valley Modernists and we strive to have meetings periodically. If you have any ideas for sites to visit or speakers to have then please pitch in.

I am the designated moderator for the forum. I'm Greg La Vardera, an architect in Merchanville, NJ, a few miles out of Philadelphia. I'm interested in modern houses and I'm here on LiveModern promoting my services and stock designs, and trying to connect people up with the modern things they are seeking.

ps - thats our cool Delaware Valley Modern logo by fellow DVM Lawrence O'Toole

Hi Greg,

I was introduced to your blog by Mid-Century Mike in DC.  I have a contemporary, late 60's, early 70's custom built home for sale in 08648 zip of NJ.  Lots of space, cool features like a full-house sound system with flip down record player in the wall, and bath remodels that saved the deco tile.  Will post up a link in a few days.

Best,

Karen

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at June 16. 2007
Karen - please come back with a link to photos. I want to see that flip down record player!

Posted by Bob Connelly at December 28. 2007
I can't figure out where to ask a simple construction technique queation

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at December 29. 2007
Bob - the Materials and Methods forum is the best place. http://livemodern.com/forums/materialsmethods

Posted by Michelle Waldo at January 17. 2008
I'm new here and would love to connect up with other modern design fans. I'm an interior designer specializing in modern and contemporary design - primarily in Philadelphia and surrounding areas. I moved here from San Francisco almost two years ago - and I'm still getting the lay of the land here regarding local modern resources. Does this group host any events or offline activities? -Michelle Waldo

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at March 30. 2008

We have had some get togethers at coffee shops and cafes, but I must admit I've been very irresponsible about keeping those meet-ups going. Given the real estate slow down, now may be a good time to start up again.

Posted by nodjr at January 29. 2010

hii i m new here,,i was just searching for some firniture stuuf and discovered this website in google..nice to be here..i was missing out so much..gi=onna spend lot of time here learning new things..thanx to all you folks

http://www.lafurniturestore.com

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at January 29. 2010

You don't have to do this stealth marketing stuff here - you are free to put up a page promoting your store. This kind of spammy, SEOy posting of generic comments with a link is just going to make people distrust you. So dive in to the community for real, put up a page for your store, and be part of the community.

Posted by Bobbie Ann Tilkens-Fisher at July 20. 2010

Hi there!

My husband and I just purchased a mid-century home by Irwin Stein in Wallingford, PA, and we are excited about joining the community!  I am an art history and museum studies professor, and he owns an interactive design firm that works with museums and cultural institutions.

We plan to preserve the home and furnish it appropriately.  Our first project involves some landscaping, so I'm looking for some recommendations of landscape designers who are sensitive to mid-century modern aesthetics.  Please feel free to send along referrals!

I'm very excited about becoming part of the modern community, and making the home accessible to those who want to learn about it!

Attachments