Personal tools
Sections

Do you catch heat all year round?

by John Dinkeldein last modified Sep 27, 2009 08:16 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Do you catch heat all year round?

Posted by John Dinkeldein at February 19. 2009

Those of you in the DFW area that do have a modern home are you catching heat and complaints from neighbors and people around you because your home isnt "uniform" or like everyone elses???

Re: Do you catch heat all year round?

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at February 19. 2009

It is a bit strange. When we presented our plans to the city of Farmers Branch for them to be checked against the zoning ordinance that specified architectual rules biased towards Old World style houses, the city architect commented "we are going to get a bunch of calls on this one." But that never happened. Some neighbors have gone out of their way to say they love it and a few (like the custom t-shirt magnate with cherubs on the sconces by his front door) have remained noticibly silent. In fact, just last weekend I was out front and a car pulled up and the driver yelled out how much she loved it. That is much more common than any sort of negative comment.

If there is a pattern, this is it. The people who live in the older houses (800-1400SF 1950s ranch houses) overwhelmingly like it and dislike the 3500-5000 SF Old World style houses that have overtaken the neighborhood. However, the people in the new, Old World, houses are about 60/40 against (I have not taken a poll, but that is the sense I get).

I gotta tell this story: Farmers Branch calls this a "Renaissance Neighborhood" as they are trying to renew/revitalize the neighborhood. One neighbor (chain smoking, Porsche driving, obnoxious, Rolex wholesaler) came up to me one weekend and asked "So, what made you think a modern house would fit in, in a Renaissance neighborhood?"

He was thinking "Renaissance" defined the architectural style of the neighborhood. I'd have thrown back a snarky comment, but I was actually speechless.

Overall though, unless you are in a historic neighborhood or the house is not too out or scale for the neighborhood, I don't expect you will have any problem.

Posted by Jonathan Oltmann at February 20. 2009
My home is nowhere near as clean and modern as Jeff’s, we have a 1950’s ranch with some “updates” if you will. When we moved in the house had the fake Home Depot plastic shutters, was painted all putty gray (even the brick) and had the neighborhood typical row of hedges. It also had some of the original details such as the brick bases for a pair of light posts that flanked the entry. Now all of that is gone, the home is two tone (dark graphite grey wood siding and the brick remains the putty gray) and the accent are large Cor-Ten steel walls, one of which bisects the home at 90 degrees to form a sense of entry. The landscaping is all rock trimmed in black steel edging with “native” drought tolerant plantings of succulents and grasses, a big change and definitely not typical of the neighborhood. Funny story, when I stated the renovations a couple who flips homes (now good friends) were flipping the two next door to us, in the typical “flipper” style. As I was erecting the steel skeletal structures (sitting on my roof welding) and then cladding it in steel (as they later revealed to me once we were friends) they were mortified and wondered what this would do to them being able to sell the homes they were renovating. However, after it was all done they really started to dig it, so much so that they wanted to team up (before the economy took a dump) to either renovate or ground up their next home in modern style with me as the designer. I can hardly get work done in my front yard on Saturdays for all the people who stop, and I mean park their car and get out to talk, complimenting how much they love the changes we have made. By no means is my home a master of modern architecture, but it shows to me that people appreciate different, even “rusted steel.” (I have had people ask when I plan to take care of that rust and repaint the steel walls, makes me laugh.) I am sure there are those who do not care for it, they make comments like, “interesting what you have done there”, or make no comment at all. Overall I love living is something different, and when our family reaches the financial ability to build new I will design and build something even more off the wall. The changes and personalization people make to their homes really helps set the older neighborhoods apart from the McMansion crap up in Frisco and Allen. Even more so it acts as a business card, or public portfolio if you will of the type of work I do, I have gotten a couple of design jobs just from people stopping to talk. So if you are thinking of going Modernist, Contemporary, or just something different in the Dallas area, I say go for it! (Just watch out for those pesky neighborhood associations)

Posted by Thomas at September 08. 2009

Jeff,

Hello.  I have read several of your posts and others.  My wife and I are in beginning phase of placing a modern home in a neighborhood in Grapevine.  We own our quarter acre lot and currently live across town in Grapevine in another home...so no big rush.  It is out of the "loop"...ha ha.   Don't think it will cause an uproar since there are many architectural styles back by the lake.  One of my best (life-long) friends in Germany is our architect. 

I touched base with Tom Grieco about potential build costs and have read a detailed post in this forum on the topic of build cost.  I spoke with Diane Cheatham and think that her cost ranges are out of our budget (though I am sure she does a good job).  You mentioned Texas Anderson Builders (could not locate online).  Also, it seems you are in the business.  Can you provide me more info on Texas Anderson and/or yourself if you are in the business?   

Posted by Jonathan Oltmann at September 11. 2009
Texas Anderson does McMansions, not modern homes. I will let Jeff respond to being "In the Business." ;)

Posted by Thomas at September 11. 2009

Thanks Jonathan.  I breezed through that post I read of his too quick I see.  No mcmansion needed here.  take care.

Posted by richierod at September 15. 2009

I'm in SoCal. One day, after completing my modern home a lady stopped by to take pics. I asked her what was up, and she told me she was an architect whose clients had seen my house and wanted something like it. She asked what had been the neighborhood's reaction to this "different" home, and I told her overwhelmingly positive, thankfully. She then told me a story about a modernist architect who had completed his home and was receiving a lot of flack from his neighbors. He put up a sign in his front yard that read: "I don't like your home either!" Ha!

Posted by Carina at September 23. 2009

Hi Thomas,

My husband recently designed and built our home in Arlington. While far from being "completed", we are in the house and love every minute of it.  We have a separate blog that has some pictures if you're interested:

http://hill-house.blogspot.com/

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me an email at the blog.  :)

Best regards,

Carina

Previously Thomas wrote:

Thanks Jonathan.  I breezed through that post I read of his too quick I see.  No mcmansion needed here.  take care.

Posted by Thomas at September 24. 2009

That is Awesome!  My design is quite a bit simpler...  We want an atrium in the middle of the house is I think one of the defining features.  I also do not have such a nice and hilly lot.  Flat but close to lake grapevine. I love the canilevered detail to your house.  Simply jaw dropping...  Thanks for sharing. 

I am pretty busy recently but have been speaking with folks about my project.  That is an incredible job by your husband.  I'll try to get in touch via your blog.  We plan to start building next Spring.

Curious, did you do geothermal?  That pond seems perfect for it.

Previously Carina wrote:

Hi Thomas,

My husband recently designed and built our home in Arlington. While far from being "completed", we are in the house and love every minute of it.  We have a separate blog that has some pictures if you're interested:

Best regards,

Carina

Previously Thomas wrote:

Posted by Carina at September 24. 2009

Thanks! If you would like, you and your wife are more than welcome to swing by if you have time this Saturday night. We are having some friends over, some of which helped us with the house. Nothing fancy - just grilling out, couple beers, just hanging out. Would love to have you stop by!

Previously Thomas wrote:

That is Awesome!  My design is quite a bit simpler...  We want an atrium in the middle of the house is I think one of the defining features.  I also do not have such a nice and hilly lot.  Flat but close to lake grapevine. I love the canilevered detail to your house.  Simply jaw dropping...  Thanks for sharing. 

I am pretty busy recently but have been speaking with folks about my project.  That is an incredible job by your husband.  I'll try to get in touch via your blog.  We plan to start building next Spring.

Previously Carina wrote:

Hi Thomas,

Best regards,

Carina

Previously Thomas wrote:

Posted by Carina at September 24. 2009

Re: geothermal.. no we don't have that system. As for reasons why, you'd have to ask my husband. I just give design approval. ;)

Previously Carina wrote:

Thanks! If you would like, you and your wife are more than welcome to swing by if you have time this Saturday night. We are having some friends over, some of which helped us with the house. Nothing fancy - just grilling out, couple beers, just hanging out. Would love to have you stop by!

Previously Thomas wrote:

Previously Carina wrote:

Hi Thomas,

Best regards,

Carina

Previously Thomas wrote:

Posted by Thomas at September 27. 2009

Hi Carina.  Sorry we missed the festivities.  We were in Houston.  I think I found your email on the blog and will write you with our plans so your husband could take a look.  Some changes are coming...so they are not the final plans yet.  Look forward to chatting about this more.