Personal tools
Sections

sofa shopping?

by Michelle Kruzel last modified Jul 27, 2005 08:24 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

sofa shopping?

Posted by Michelle Kruzel at March 24. 2005

If anyone happens to be out furniture shopping... I'd like to know about a couple of sofas that I've been sizing up online. I'd like to know how comfortable these sofas are: the annex sectional and the flip-flop sofa at CB2 and the Metro or Modern fabric sofas at Room Board. I can't make a trip to Chicago anytime soon (8 hours away!), but would really like to know some impressions of these pieces. Thanks! -MC

Re: sofa shopping?

Posted by Sara R. Sage at March 24. 2005

One word: eBay

Here are some auctions I've been eyeing

[url href=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemitem=4365718169rd=1sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AITrd=1]sectional[/url]

[url href=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemitem=4365108661rd=1sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AITrd=1]ended but recurring from seller[/url]

[url href=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemitem=4325061210rd=1sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AITrd=1]L-Shape[/url]

[url href=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemitem=4325061067rd=1sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AITrd=1]Another Sectional[/url]

[url href=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemitem=4365776170rd=1sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AITrd=1]Furniture Suite[/url]

I called Stendmar Furniture which is in Ontario and they get a custom order (color) their furniture within 8-10 weeks. They can also mix the colors too. Most importantly, if you're in L.A., you can go in their warehouse to try out the sofas before purchasing.

-Sara

edit: Hey, I just noticed I infiltrated Chicagoland. I was looking at today's documents, of course you're not in L.A....

Posted by Peter Lemmon at March 29. 2005

Don't know about the CB2 one. We have what RB now calls Modern, but used to call something else... I think Oslo? The only difference really is that we have an 88 sofa with 2 cushions rather than the 3-cushion 88 sofa now has. Very comfortable... great for napping. I love the squared off wide arms. We have a few things from RB and have found them to be very easy to work with and when we had a problem with a chair we had bought, they were very responsive and replaced what was needed.

Posted by Thomas Wolfe at May 01. 2005

CB2 is a fun place, for those of you who don't know, it's a spin-off of Crate Barrel. There are only two stores, both in Chicago. I'll keep my eye out for the sofa you're interested in test it out the next time I'm in the area. I'll get back to you.

Posted by Sean Murray at May 10. 2005

some of those ebay sofas look very nice, but I'm very nervous ordering a sofa I've never actually seen and sat on. Can anyone please confirm or deny the quality and comfort of any of those sofas?

Posted by Dan Fontana at July 22. 2005

I don't know if this is any help to you, but from my experience...

CB2 is fine if you're doing a dorm or guest room, first apartment or seldom-used cottage. Very similar to IKEA.
Lots of foam, cardboard, staples etc...looks cute...but wears terribly. Very similar to IKEA.
But to be fair, I have never purchased anything from them, only visited their stores. Maybe some of their stuff is good but I haven't seen it. And though I am not permitted to tell you how I know this, they have a VERY high markup.

Room and Board, on the other hand, offers a much better quality. While the price is initially higher than CB2, their merchandise is made to withstand a fair amount of use. I have purchased their casegoods on several occasions over the years and found them to be of excellent quality for the money.
Several years ago, it seems that they decided to upgrade the quality of their upholstered line. I had heard (though not confirmed) that they used to use only one supplier (McCreary), and have since branched out to many different sources. From visiting their stores, I can tell you that it's not all identical quality, but they won't sell you a piece of junk, not even their lowest-priced lines.
As far as service...no problems here, the staff has always been knowledgeable and helpful.
Also, Room and Board is a licensed retailer for Herman Miller. This company is NOTORIOUSLY protective of their brand's image, so I doubt that they would associate themselves with any retailer that was not of a certain higher standard. In fact, they have been known to pull out of stores that have developed problems.
I know I sound like an unabashed cheerleader for RB, but trust me, I don't work for them. Just a satisfied customer.
BTW...they have floor sample sales twice a year...usually around June and December. Got some great deals, even of Herman Miller.

Lots to see in Chicago. Come visit us. But not in winter.

P.S....
Though you did not mention them, I would stay away from Chiasso. Horrible stuff with outrageous markups. There is a connection between them and CB2 / Crate Barrel. Again, I am not permitted to tell you how I know this. No, I never worked for them. Or any other competitor or even in the home furnishings biz. No axe to grind here, just an experienced and (hightly) opinated consumer.
And to be fair, Crate Barrel's quality is pretty good, just a bit pricey. I bought a Mitchell Gold sofa there that I'm still happily using years later.

Good luck.

sofa update

Posted by Michelle Kruzel at July 27. 2005

I actually went with Room Board, I ordered it a couple of months ago. The furniture arrived yesterday. I am very happy their service and the quality.