Personal tools
Sections

Moving to Chicago

by Joe Warkentine last modified May 09, 2011 07:23 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Moving to Chicago

Posted by Joe Warkentine at December 19. 2004

We are moving from a small Texas Ranch to Chicago the end of January, or February 2005 - we want something ultra modern - i.e. Frank Lloyd Wright genre - but affordable small lot for our dog, basically the dream home we never built..
Anyone have any suggestions on where to look, how to look, and are we just dreaming?
Am I even in the right website?
We designed our present house with the rising and setting of the sun in mind.. blending in to the edge of a forest.

Thanks all..

Re: Moving to Chicago

Posted by Mark Meyer at December 19. 2004

Warkentine,

Where was/is your ranch located? It sounds like a nice project. It's too bad that Texas is loosing a modernist to Chicago.

Mark in Austin

Posted by Mark Fojas at December 22. 2004

Warkentine,

Do you know where you are moving in Chicago? Is it going to be in the suburbs or Chicago proper? I haven't lived in Chicago for many moons but I visit every chance I get. It's an incredible city.

I don't normally recommmend Skokie, but you may just find a modernist haven waiting for you there... I was quite surprised to see these modernist homes in this humdrum suburb... and hey, a quick zip on the El and you're in Chicago proper. Evanston used to be the place for bargain lots but I think it's pretty much been developed.

Everything in the city that I had considered interesting has already been built up (Rogers Park, Wicker Park, Printer's Row, Belmont, Boy's Town (sheesh, what is the main drag... I forget) there may be some lots around UIC that are still available, but really almost everything has gotten too rich for my blood. Everybody wants to move back into the city...although there are a few cracks between Chicago proper and the Northside that are reasonably affordable and great places to walk a dog.

If you speak Spanish, the Mexican neighborhoods will make you feel right at home... especially if you're community oriented.

Of course, there's always bargains to be had though, depending on how adventurous you are. If you wish to live in the city, just get a map of Chicago, pick a park, check out the crime rates around it,(if they are at acceptable levels-- this really depends on you) and visit. Usually there are tons of properties that look abandoned or are in poor shape. You can sometimes check with the city to see their status.

Posted by Joe Warkentine at January 29. 2005

Yes time is getting close to our move.. we have yet to put our little ranch on the market - though some at the office are interested. It is about 20 minutes north of Fort Worth and 40 minutes West of DFW.. Rhome Texas area/
We are still plugging our way through the web looking for something in South Chicago Area that catches our fancy. We have become accustomed to the modern features we have added to our ranch while keeping within the Texas theme. We hand picked the tile, brick - my wife hand sanded the hardwood flooring, - my study furniture is all glass and pewter - the only items that would make a moderist cringe is my two fish chairs - cloth recliners with a hunting lodge theme - they went well when we had Navajo blankets and a Southwest theme.. but now they just are there and not moving anywhere.
I saw a house awhile back for 100k in Chicago area that was concrete with the sharpe angles and modern look - but it has gone from the listings.. or at least I cannot find it again.
I should hear Monday from my company - I have been working on a buyout plan so we would not have to worry about the ranch being vacant when we make our move. Keep your fingers crossed - we did find one FLW house within our range and are dying to see it - the Stables I believe it is called.
I wish that all of the readers can find a house like we have had for the last 20 plus years - one malable, modern and one we always have liked coming home to.
:)

Posted by s smith at January 13. 2006
I'd recommend the north shore. It's very spacious and there are a lot of modern homes there. Someone mentioned Skokie and there's the Skokie lagoons. The north shore also runs along the lake and there's plenty of forestry. Check out the Moving to Chicago website. It doesn't talk about modern homes per se, but there's a section on neighborhood demographics that might help. Good luck.

Posted by Dana Killion at January 30. 2006

If you like Frank Lloyd Wright, don't leave out Oak Park. Near west burb, good schools for the kids (if you have them), and train service to boot.

Posted by Kate peters at May 09. 2011

I've just moved house AND country which is even more of a stressful nightmare than normal. You may need to hire a good moving company for the safety of your belongings, just like what we did  we hired Boston Movers
Researching about the education and healthcare facilities really matters.