Personal tools
Sections

7112 sq foot project

by joe hutch last modified Jun 30, 2011 10:29 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

7112 sq foot project

Posted by joe hutch at April 15. 2006

I am soon to embark upon my concept of everything a home can be. Hurricane Rita destroyed my home so when I receive my insurance check (lawsuit pending)construction will begin. No I am not rich, middle class all the way. I am not a home builder, just confident I am the only person who can do this in my hurricane ravaged location. I would expect 90% of the population will think my home is ugly,cheap,a huge mistake, fine it is my home not theirs. In Louisiana homes are being built for $78 a foot. due to the hurricane we are at $90 and the work is unimpressive. I've researched my idea extensively for years (i'm 37) and I believe I have most of it covered so feel free to ask ?'s. My home will be 10 feet off the ground on a 80 X 48 platform. On this first floor I will bolt together a 70X40 quanset hut ($14000) on a 5 foot stem wall. No doors or windows on the sides. The endwalls will be almost all windows. First floor 2200sqft. Second floor; 3 industrial mezzanines totaling 1392sqft. Add this to the ground level garage,shop,kitchen 3520sqft. My total 7112sqft. Madness I say. Will it be a normal house hell no, a monster house ? maybe. Will it cost me less than $150000 ? absolutely...So engineers architects ask away. I live outside of city limits....I despise sheetrock and crown molding..The only door with hinges will be the front door...600sqft front deck...400sqft back deck...sunrise back deck sunset front deck overlooking the river

Re: 7112 sq foot project

Posted by lynne cimimo at April 16. 2006

Sorry to hear about your house being destroyed. We too contemplated building a quonset hut home but ultimately decided to go in another direction. The plan was to use a 60' wide quonset hut but only 30' long. My idea was similar to yours, only windows on the ends, none on the sides. I envisioned the shape to be similar to a lemon wedge, rather than a long tunnel with light only at the ends. Curious, is this how yours will be oriented? Will you be posting your plans or blogging your progress? I would be very interested in seeing the final result. Your not crazy, I've seen a few residential quonset hut project pictures but none have really done it for me. The nicest one I've seen was one of Lauren Hutton's vacation homes in the desert (small but nicely finished). Good luck and keep us posted!

Lynne,
www.designbyphoto.com

Posted by lynne cimimo at April 16. 2006

One more question, how are you planning on insulating yours (will you be insulating?), and how will you finish the interior walls?

Lynne
www.designbyphoto.com

Posted by joe hutch at April 17. 2006

yes Lynne it will be insulated, most likely spray foam with a fire rating that will be painted to resemble the interior of a cave. It will be dark. My concept is to create moods with lighting. I will suspend oddly shaped fabrics with backlighting layered throughout the ceiling. Also to address insulation and the fact that quonset huts are not the most attractive things, I will weld a rebar trellis over the entire structure and cover with a growing vine which will help asthetics and shade during summer. Two of the mezzanines will be open and the one joining the two will be finished with hardi board creating a long bank of closet space and the downstairs bathroom..Understand I am building a very large home for 2 people with large open spaces privacy will be at a minimum.When you walk through the front door you will walk under a 16X36 gameroom mezzanine with a bank ofclosets to your right a huge concrete/stone entertainment center on the left wall with storage behind, and looking forward you will see the back glass endwall with a24X24 kitchen to the left with the master bedroom above...So imagine walking in with an 8 foot ceiling for 16 feet then the home explodes up to a 21ft ceiling.........anybody else keep the ?'s coming....archiectual input wanted as well.....

Posted by Bob at April 18. 2006

Don't let go of your madness mojodig! Bottle it up and sell it to American suburbia! I'll order 100 cases for all of my neighbors!

So since you are outside of the city limits you dont have to adhere to ANY codes whatsoever? no egress windows in bedrooms would get squashed really fast almost everywhere i know of.

aside from that, although i love the idea of exploding from an 8 ft ceiling height to a 21 ft ceiling (drama always gets points in my book) it also means that there is less light coming from the inside. Since there are no doors, windows or skylights i think the amount of daylight from the two end walls is a critical issue.

On a more technical boring note don't you have to penetrate the hut for vent stacks, exhaust fans etc? A straight 70 foot long, 5 ft high stem wall is going to be tough to stabilize. I'm curious as to your connection details to the Q hut! Will all wiring be in conduit or within the insulated exterior walls?

Good Luck post photos!

Posted by joe hutch at April 18. 2006

there will be skylights that come as an option with the hut....and yes not many codes here...i feel for you conformists....yes exposed conduit...form with function..why hide the reality of what it takes to run a home...exhaust fan for the kitchen will be through the floor..the stemwalll,all problems have solutions

Posted by Steve Goodman at June 01. 2006

ok - not trying to be a kill-joy or anything but... i have to ask...

why?
why 7112 sq. ft.?

my understanding of a major component of the current modern / dwell housing trend (?) is based upon efficient use of space... looking at spaces that can be used for multiple functions... i mean there are so many books and publishings discussing and pondering the idea of the 'small house' and how a well designed house looks to reduce square footage as opposed to pander to the mcmansion thought process that bigger is better...

again - not trying to be a downer - just really curious as to what makes one build a 7112 sq. ft. house.

sincerely.

Posted by Tim at August 18. 2006

I have been living in a quonset house for last 10 years. It is an arch installed on the second story of the house.
We're finding we want skylights and to install a dormer to let more light in/possibly install a bathroom.
Have you found any sources for this?
With the exception of EVERYTHING having to be cusotm, we love it and our now making it work with two small children (by adding walls)
Best of luck
Genna

Posted by Bridget Pilloud at August 18. 2006

The 7112 project sounds really big and really dark. I'd be curious to see the layout. I am sure you've put a lot of thought into it. You should do a blog!
B

Posted by joe hutch at November 10. 2007

Finally received my check.....Structural engineer finalizing the foundation.....floorplan drawn....surveyor scheduled.......here we go....Oh the qhut is 45X80 twelve feet off the ground on a 6 foot cinderblock stem wall

Posted by joe hutch at September 16. 2008

I'm  trying to rebuid my home, but have come to the conclusion that no one in my area is seriously interested with helping me. I need help getting my home off the ground..literally...My home needs to be elevated, as I live on a river..Anyone interested in designing a raised foundation which maximizes the space beneath effeciently and practically, please email or reply. search my posts to see what I am talking about..I am intrigued with the idea of setting my home on top of 4 shipping containers if possible..I have an approx $35000 budget for the foundation..Any guidance will be appreciated....Understand I am not looking for freebies just people with experience and a desire to do things differently...I am ready to start this project immediately....Mojodig454@yahoo.com

Posted by joe hutch at September 16. 2008

Previously Steve Goodman wrote:

ok - not trying to be a kill-joy or anything but... i have to ask...

why?
why 7112 sq. ft.?

my understanding of a major component of the current modern / dwell housing trend (?) is based upon efficient use of space... looking at spaces that can be used for multiple functions... i mean there are so many books and publishings discussing and pondering the idea of the 'small house' and how a well designed house looks to reduce square footage as opposed to pander to the mcmansion thought process that bigger is better...

again - not trying to be a downer - just really curious as to what makes one build a 7112 sq. ft. house.

sincerely.

What you fail to realiz is 3600 sg ft consists of the garage and shop area beneath the house..1125 sg ft consists of front and back deck...So we ar e not McMansionists

Posted by jockben at October 01. 2008

hi this is jock am new to this fourm actually this fourm is new to me it nice posting.

jockben

<a href=http://www.fastrealestate.net>FSBO</a>

Posted by Carmine Covelli at October 26. 2008

Joe,

Curious as to how your quonset project is going? Love the idea! My girlfriend and I are looking to build a modified quonset in upstate new york in the next few years. We have land already and I've been doing research for the past few years. Recently we were in Maui and stayed in a quonset hut that some friends built. It was small and totally uninsulated but the interior was beautifully simple. If anyone is interested in seeing photos, let me know. 

cc

Attachments

Posted by Gary at May 26. 2009
Despite the last post being 10 months old, I'd like to revive this thread. We live in Aiken, SC and are about to undertake building our own Quonset home. Much smaller in scale than the original poster but the same issues will be faced. We're looking at a 1200-1600 sq ft unit. Anybody else doing this? Would love to see another hut being used as a primary residence in person. Hard to get a grasp of the volume via pictures on the net. Thanks, Gary

Posted by Bar Code at December 26. 2010

Reviving this thread again...

Has anybody done a raised quonset hut?  Having it sit on shipping containers seems very interesting.  I think I'm interested in doing this too, and I'd really appreciate any information.  For example, who drew up plans, and how were they approved?

Thanks!

Posted by Chris Allen at April 04. 2011

Previously Carmine Covelli wrote:

Joe,

Curious as to how your quonset project is going? Love the idea! My girlfriend and I are looking to build a modified quonset in upstate new york in the next few years. We have land already and I've been doing research for the past few years. Recently we were in Maui and stayed in a quonset hut that some friends built. It was small and totally uninsulated but the interior was beautifully simple. If anyone is interested in seeing photos, let me know.

cc

Aloha!  Love this quonset structure...we are looking to build on the Big Island;  do you have any more photos?

Mahalo nui loa,

Chris Allen

Posted by Carmine Covelli at June 30. 2011

Previously Chris Allen wrote:

Previously Carmine Covelli wrote:

Joe,

cc

Aloha!  Love this quonset structure...we are looking to build on the Big Island;  do you have any more photos?

Mahalo nui loa,

Chris Allen

I do have more photos! I can email you a link if you like.

cc