Sections

modern home construction methods

by Steven last modified Jun 25, 2006 08:21 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

modern home construction methods

Posted by Steven at June 25. 2006

><br>

It is a good design for narrow long lots. 12ft ceilings. Open loft-like space. commercial windows. Stick frame w/ support for future rooftop deck. They had to put OSB on outside and inside of walls for structural strength I guess due to the narrow footprint and the height of approx 36ft.

My question is what various building methods would also work for this simple modern design? I am evaluating methods based on speed of construction, cost, insulation etc.

Anyone have input on SIP, precast/tilt up, steel frame panels, etc...?

><br>

Re: modern home construction methods

Posted by JohnC at June 25. 2006

From what I can see in the picture, you could construct most of the building with ICFs. The cantilever areas would need to utilize another building method such as SIPs or stick frame. Using ICFs should eliminate the need for lateral bracing (this is an assumption) and there would be no problem supporting a roof deck.

Two stories would not be a problem. I have seen 38’ free standing ICF walls used for a movie theater. ICFs can be a little pricey but they are made to last and are very energy efficient. My wife and I just started building our home with ICFs. It is a ranch with a walkout basement and we will be using ICFs for both floors.

John