Personal tools
Sections

last minute modern

by RJ R last modified Jul 29, 2006 10:01 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

last minute modern

Posted by RJ R at July 29. 2006

Hello all. I've been reading this forum for a little while and decided to start posting. I'm a die hard modernist but the home that we're building isn't exactly modern. (I'm hoping to change that). My wife and I bought a lot in Park City last year met with a designer to plan the home. The neighborhood CCR's required a 6/12 roof pitch, and certain exterior siding like stucco, stone, brick or wood. So we ended up with a far too conventional house plan. I've attached a picture of the foundation (we're about to start framing soon), and the original front elevation.

I have since learned that the CCR's are much less strict than I thought, and I would start over with an ultra modern plan if I could. But since we're well underway, now I'm looking for ways to modernize the home, especially the exterior. Some ideas I've received from others so far are: hardipanel exterior, stucco with a grid pattern, glass/aluminum garage doors, metal roof, aluminum windows.

This lot is at about 7000 ft elevation, and gets well over 200 inches of snow per year. AND I'm on the north face, so snow sticks around a long time. The lot is .40 acres, and the basement is a full walkout, stick-framed daylight on the left side and back. There is a stream running through the front of the lot, so it's really quite a nice setting. The home itself is 1550 sq ft on the main, and then 1550 in the walkout basement. 2 car garage

Any ideas for the exterior? Like a combination of a couple different materials (hardipanel, wood, etc.)? How about color? (would white metal roof on white stucco work?)

Re: last minute modern

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at July 29. 2006

><br>

I think you could go for something like this:

Thats a project of Mark Meyer's in TX.

><br>

Re: last minute modern

Posted by RJ R at July 29. 2006

That looks nice. I see smooth stucco on one side, but whats the black siding on the other side?
Adding a big fireplace/chimney in the front of the house for the architecural effect would be cool, but the great room is in the back (see attached floor plan).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47445556@N00/201484201/

Attachments