Personal tools
Sections

The holy grail of modern residential architecture

by Bridget Pilloud last modified Aug 21, 2006 08:15 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

The holy grail of modern residential architecture

Posted by Bridget Pilloud at August 15. 2006

My partner and I are in the early stages of planning and building a modern house in a rural area outside of Portland Oregon. I'm searching for the holy grail of Modern residential architecture: a house that's environmentally sustainable in both build and upkeep, that's modern in design, and that's relatively inexpensive (e.g., $150 per square foot, not including the cost of our land). I am sure that it can be done, but I am not sure where to look to find the answers.
I am assuming that there are others like us, who have experienced this...
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
B

Re: The holy grail of modern residential architecture

Posted by Mark Meyer at August 15. 2006

with careful planning I think that is totally doable.

Posted by Najah Wallace at August 17. 2006

More power to you..we are currently trying to do the same thing doen here in NC. I know you are looking for advice but all I can give you in encouragement. There are lots for books out there that can help like. An architect in my area suggested Home by Design by Sarah Susanka, and The Distinctive Home by Jeremiah Eck, both published by Taunton Press.

Good luck!!

Posted by Najah Wallace at August 17. 2006

Sorry I didn't read that before I posted it,:grin:

Posted by Mark Beuger at August 21. 2006

My wife and I are currently working on something similar in NW Pennsylvania. You would think somebody would have come up with this concept by now. Instead, we all seem to be reinventing the wheel over and over again. I am not sure market forces would really allow such a thing to see the light of day.