Personal tools

modern home in the Cayman Islands

by luca uggeri last modified Aug 18, 2005 08:02 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

modern home in the Cayman Islands

Posted by luca uggeri at August 17. 2005

this is less daunting than starting a blog, which was my intention, eventually.
We are in the process of building a modern home. The last 8 months have been consumed by searching for a lot and forming an idea of what our home would look like. I never thought it would be so difficult. Our favorite lots were inland and on a rare elevated slope (25ft above sea level, the equivalent of a mountain in Cayman). Buying one of these lots proved to be impossible. Without any offers to sell, my wife went as far as writing 50 letters to owners in that area to enquire if they would be interested in selling. After a few deals went south (why, oh why is real estate so difficult), we were offered a great deal on a canal front lot elsewhere, in a gated community on the tourist side of the island, 7 mile beach. This is not where we envisioned ourselves living but, financially, it was an offer we could not refuse.
So, we are now the proud owners of a 110'x130' lot where our home will be built. Friday afternoon we are meeting with the architect for preliminary talks about our home.
We are hoping to start construction in January and I will certainly post progress and the countless questions that will arise on this new forum.
I am looking forward to learn from all of your experiences as well.

Re: modern home in the Cayman Islands

Posted by Creede Fitch at August 18. 2005

Congratulations on getting a lot! I know how frusterating it can be trying to find land, my wife and I finally gave up and just bought the cheapest house we could find in the area that we wanted to live. We hope to start construction on our addition in the spring.
Post some pics of you lot if you have them, anything in te caymans sounds nice to me.