Personal tools
Sections

Modern Plans for Long Narrow Lake Lot

by Steven last modified Aug 20, 2013 05:23 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 3 votes)

Modern Plans for Long Narrow Lake Lot

Posted by Steven at November 12. 2006

I am looking for modern home designs for long narrow lots for a couple lake lots in Minnesota I will be building on. So infill lot type homes would work too. Lots are sloped enough for a walkout basement as well. I am thinking of building one for myself and one spec home at the same time for economies of scale.

Both lots are approx 45'on street, 240' deep, 50' lakeside. South Southeast exposure on the lakeside. There is another 10-20 ft of width to possibly pick up running the length of one lot due to abandoned road. It is not guaranteed though.

Any specific examples or links to good resources would be appreciated!

Re: Modern Plans for Long Narrow Lake Lot

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at November 12. 2006

Are these second homes, or primary residences? What size home are you looking for?

Posted by Dustin Ehrlich at November 14. 2006

Hire an architect.

Posted by Steven at November 14. 2006

Primary residences on a pricey lake. Home size would be 2500-3500 sq ft including a walkout basement.

I will be looking for architects but need some examples to point them in the right direction.

Posted by Jeff Kalm at November 14. 2006

SLenzen,
I would be interested in talking with you about your project. I am just starting my design company. I have one house I am working at the moment and am looking for more projects. The house I am working on is about the same size as the ones you are looking at building. Please let me know if you would be interested in speaking. Email me at jeff_kalm@hotmail.com, I look forward to possibly talking with you.

Jeff

Posted by Dustin Ehrlich at November 14. 2006

I too am an architect (hence my suggestion to hire one :grin: ), and of course, would love to work with you on your project. Shop around for an architect, they are all different and you need to find the one that will be the best fit for you and your project. Hey, maybe that's me, email me if you'd like at syrarch04@hotmail.com

Dustin

Posted by Mark Meyer at November 14. 2006

SLenzen,

I have a significant amount of designs that are based on long narrow lot dimensions (which also conveniently fit standard SIP and modular construction technologies). A few of those examples are represented on my LM home page.

www.designSTUDIOmodern.com

Posted by Steven at November 16. 2006

I'm getting the surveys buttoned up. The lots were joined together for tax purposes in the past and I am getting them resplit. I have to decide whether to do two longer narrow lots w/ lake access like originally mentioned or two cross split giving lakeside lot wide access (100ft) for a nicer home. The lots have a stepdown terrace towards the lake so I could do nicer more valuable home on lower level and one on upper level. Lower level has street access from a side street. I would plan a flat roof on lower home so there would be great lake views retained for upper level home.

In that case I would look for a home oriented across the lot for full lake exposure.

Just thinking what will maximize value of both properties and how much lake exposure I want for my home for the $$$.

Posted by Don Whitten at December 15. 2006
Steven- I to am a designer with an interest in your project. I have designed a duplex for a water view site in Seattle which has not yet been constructed. I have been hoping for the opportunity to alter the current design for single family (±2500-2800SF) use and would gladly provide a minimal set of construction drawings for a minmal fee in an effort to have this design constructed. We would also be interested in providing full architectural services and additional documentation to suit your needs. see the design at http://www.contextmodern.com/images/34_2_.jpg or browse our website www.contextmodern.com for futher design inspiration. I look forward to your response. Don

Posted by Don Whitten at December 15. 2006
Steven- This is another example, designed by Context, for lake-side living. http://www.contextmodern.com/images/SE_corner_3_.jpg http://www.contextmodern.com/